Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 10, 2021
Saturday within the Octave of Easter
The Gospel of Ordinary Living
Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature.
Mark 16:15

When I hear Jesus’ command, three phrases stand out for me: whole world…proclaim…every creature. The phrase whole world is not restricted to faraway places like Timbuktu, huge cities like Seoul or exotic island sites like Fiji. Whole world also includes our parish, neighborhood, local grocery store and kitchen. And proclaim means more than to shout on street corners, deliver a sermon or write a theological treatise. We can proclaim the gospel by listening attentively to someone, by offering a helping hand, by sending a card or an email, and by praying for someone in need. And every creature is not limited to so-called pagans or people in remote areas. It can include a discouraged spouse, a fearful child, a needy friend, an exhausted check out clerk.

Some are called to faraway places to proclaim the gospel through heroic deeds. Others are called to places closer to home to incarnate the gospel in their ordinary lives.

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

Acts 4:13-21 • Psalm 118:1, 14-21 Mark 16:9-15

Comments

April 10, 2021 at 12:42 PM

Thank you for this insightful inspiration.

April 10, 2021 at 12:11 PM

April 10, 2021 at 10:15 AM

Yes, we are all called to be priests, “Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature!!!” (Mark 16:15) ***1 Peter 1:9, "For you are a chosen people. You are royal PRIESTS, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for He called you out of the darkness into His wonderful light!" ***Revelation 1:5c-6, "All glory to Him (Jesus) Who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding His blood for us. He has made us a Kingdom of PRIESTS for God His Father. All glory and power to Him forever and ever! Amen." ***Revelation 5:10, "And You (Jesus) have caused them to become a Kingdom of PRIESTS for our God. And they will reign on the earth!" ***What are we, PRIESTS, supposed to do? ***Oh, yes! Mark 16:15, "He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to all creation!" ***As in Matthew 28:19-20a, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you!" ***How is it done? Matthew 28:18, 20b, "Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me...And surely I (Jesus) am with you always, to the very end of the age!” *But here is the sad news in Matthew 28:17, "When they saw Him (Jesus), they worshiped Him; but some doubted (to Salina it means not whole-heartedly...I have been there and done that...may be they were...I was...scared of what men would do and reject...not if but when). I give thanks to the LORD, for You are good, for Your mercy endures forever. My strength and my courage is the LORD, and You are my savior! Amen! (Psalm 118:1, 14)

April 10, 2021 at 10:45 AM

Do you sometimes wonder why Salina writes and talks so much in Scripture? Because it is the biggest bang for the buck so to speak and it takes Salina the person out of the conduit :-) You ONLY need Jesus, the person, the God, the Savior, Who is interceeding for you right now 24-7-365 sitting on the right hand of the Father! ***Isaiah 55:11, "So is My Word that goes out from My mouth: It will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it!" ***2 Timothy 3:16-17, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work!" ***Psalm 119:105, "Your Word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path!"

Sister Melannie Svoboda, SND Respond to comment
April 10, 2021 at 09:56 AM

I really appreciated all the comments to my reflection today. This tiny publication has a vast readership! That gives me hope. For so many of us, prayer is an integral part of our daily lives. What a blessing that is... Thank you! Sister Melannie, SND

Mary S
April 10, 2021 at 10:31 AM

Thank you sister, I am a regular reader of this website although I don’t respond often, thank you to all and Blessings on all LF family.

April 10, 2021 at 09:21 AM

April 10, 2021 at 09:21 AM

Amen! May we all be graced with the Holy Spirit to be apostles of his love and divine mercy in small and big ways. Prayers for all.

April 10, 2021 at 08:37 AM

“They did not believe”. Starting with the leaders of the temple, scribes and Pharisees, they did not believe that Peter and John could do what they did in the name of Jesus, nor did they want to support these efforts to the people. They wanted Peter and John to stop immediately and silence them. As we know, this was not possible , this gave Peter, John and all of the other followers the strength and confidence they needed to proclaim the message, Jesus story among everyone. Where do we fit in, which side is our belief. Lastly what will it take for us to truly believe and live a life being proud to be a follower of Christ. In today’s Gospel there remains non-belief among the ones closest to Jesus, the 11. The had direct examples of encounters with the risen Lord, but the disbelief was present. Today, not tomorrow do not harden your hearts, but believe. Begin by taking smaller steps, in your transformation. Pick up the word, focus on reading the daily mass readings. From my own personal experience, this is a great way to learn more about his life and mission for each of our lives. Rather than picking up the word and reading from cover to cover, the likely hood is low. Just begin by reading the daily mass readings, trying to picture what is taking place in each day. Jesus will help you along the way and in no time you will be proclaiming the word of Jesus our Lord, the Christ to everyone. Blessed are they who have not seen, but believe. “What will it take for us to believe”. Dear Jesus, please hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for the souls in Purgatory, we pray, Amen.

April 10, 2021 at 08:35 AM

Amen! Others are called to places closer to home to incarnate the gospel in their ordinary lives:) Have a nice weekend Living Faith Family

April 10, 2021 at 08:06 AM

Thank you Sr. for this devotion! I often wondered for someone like myself who is reserved, not a public speaker and with writing not being my forte how can I spread the gospel. All of the other things you mentioned I can do and relieved to know that it is a form of spreading the good word. I pray my actions towards others can inspire them to do the things I don't excel at. Continued prayers and peace to all.

April 10, 2021 at 03:04 AM

Beautifully put Sr. Melanie, our God is concerned with the “little things” the daily routines and interfaces with people in our lives. Our mission field is not only “out there” in the far flung places it is daily and minute by minute right in front of our noses. It’s not all about big ticket events that most of us will never get involved in. It is as much about the simpler smaller events in our daily lives.

A God follower
April 10, 2021 at 05:57 AM

Thank you Sister for your devotion and Sir for your comment. I feel this truth as the little way others like me are called to follow. Today I am exceedingly grateful for this thoughtful affirmation. <<3><