Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 9, 2021
Friday within the Octave of Easter
The Face of Jesus
When it was already dawn, Jesus was standing on the
shore; but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus.
John 21:4

Near an interstate off-ramp, a woman on the curb holds a cardboard sign: “No food, no job, please help.” She’s easy to ignore. She is clearly one of society’s castoffs, we might tell ourselves. She might use the money for drugs or alcohol. She can’t be trusted. But is hers the face of Jesus staring back at us?

We pass a homeless shelter. Several people are mingling outside, looking well worn, hovering around their belongings in bulging plastic bags and old rusted shopping carts. You can barely see their faces, but under those hoods or caps or scarves, do we see the face of Jesus, struggling to survive? Like the disciples on the shore, do we not realize it is Jesus beckoning us?

All around us are images of Jesus, hoping to get our attention, for a moment, for a smile, for a prayer. His face is everywhere. We can’t ignore it

- Paul Pennick

Acts 4:1-12 • Psalm 118:1-2, 4, 22-27 John 21:1-14

Comments

April 9, 2021 at 05:02 PM

Thank you for this devotion. I don't always succeed, however my goal is to see Christ in all people. I love the suggestion to offer them a smile, a prayer. To not look through them. In fact, God is in all of us!

April 9, 2021 at 05:00 PM

Thank you Paul, for putting Jesus' face on the helpless, the homeless, the hopeless and the marginalized. Could not get in yesterday but I will include Baby Nico, Tim and Father Aaron's family in my nightly rosary. Prayers also, to all in need of prayers in our Living Faith family.

April 9, 2021 at 12:49 PM

This hits me like a ton of bricks as the Lord puts His burden on my heart in Ephesians 5:12-17, "It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything (sin) exposed by the light becomes visible—and everything (Confession and Repentance) that is illuminated becomes a light. This is why it is said: “Wake up, sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.” Be very careful, then, how you live (go, do and say)—not as unwise (world pleasing) but as wise (God pleasing), making the most of every opportunity (people forum and encounters), because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will (in His Word) is!" It reminds me of what was disclosed to me of 2021, the year of Repentance! So it is, Lord Jesus!!! And I repeat, "2021 is the year of Repentance!" Lord, I can't handle all that You are telling me to go, to do and to say :-( I am trying to prepare next week's BSF student lesson and I haven't even start my own adult lesson yet. I know I will go where You tell me to go and do what You tell me to do and say whom You tell me to say. This is hard, but You are the boss and I am not! Proverbs 3:5-6...I trust in the Lord with all my heart, and I do not lean on my own understanding. In all my ways I acknowledge You Lord, and You will make straight my paths. Amen!

April 9, 2021 at 10:51 AM

Lord in all my comings and goings open my eyes that I may always recognize You.

April 9, 2021 at 10:31 AM

Yes, Lord Jesus! Peter answering the charges against them by the church leaders said in Acts 4:12, "There is no Salvation through anyone else, nor is there any other name under heaven given to the human race by which we are to be saved.” ***Jesus by Chris Tomlin https://youtu.be/cEbQswNB6Wc ***I love someone has said it here before and what the priests I came across said at the end of mass, "May you see the Jesus in the people you meet today and may they see the Jesus in you! Go and serve the Lord!" ***Why did Peter go fishing at this time in the Gospel? He has not gone fishing for 3 years following Jesus. Peter has seen Jesus twice since the resurrection at this time. He couldn't hold on to Jesus like he wanted. Peter must be wondering what was next? Peter didn't know how denying Jesus 3 times have affected their relationship yet. 1) Not until Jesus showed Peter that Peter has grown in his faith by walking on water the sesond time in John 21:7b, 14, "When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he tucked in his garment, for he was lightly clad, and jumped into the sea....This was now the third time Jesus was revealed to His disciples after being raised from the dead." 2) And finally Jesus told Peter that he would continue to serve Him in feeding and loving His sheep in John 21:17, "He (Jesus) said to him (Peter) the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that He had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to Him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love You.” [Jesus] said to him, “Feed my sheep." 3) And that Peter would die for his faith in John 21:18-19, "Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” He (Jesus) said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when He had said this, He said to him, “Follow me.” *******So it will be with me, Salina! The Lord will lead me through His Holy Spirit to where I do not want to go, do what I have no interest and say what I should not be saying! To God be the glory - wherever I go, whatever I do and whomever I say :-) Amen! *Proverbs 29:25, "It is dangerous to be concerned with what others think of you, but if you trust the Lord, you are safe!" *Joshua 1:9, "This is My command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." *2 Timothy 2:15, "Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive His (not men) approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the Word of Truth." Thank You, Lord Jesus, for Your Word and Your presence with me :-) Forever with You is my goal and my reward!!!

April 9, 2021 at 11:17 AM

When I don't know what to do, I usually go back to my old habits (ways) where I know what I can expect! Now I usually don't go back to my old habits of eating icecream in front of a TV or sleeping until midday. Now I go to His Word even when He tells to go where I don't want to go, to do what I don't want to do and to say what I don't want to say! So Peter went back to what he was familiar with...fishing was his livelihood until Jesus came and took him away for 3 years! Once again Jesus came and took him away one final time :-)

April 9, 2021 at 09:33 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves)./ Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God- cast into hell Satan and all evil spirts, who prowl about the world seeding the ruin of souls. Amen

Joe B
April 9, 2021 at 01:01 PM

Salina, thank you for your comments about Peter and his whereabouts after the Resurrection! I too wondered about Peter and the disciples and their doings after the Resurrection.

April 9, 2021 at 09:06 AM

"Having Faith to listen to the Risen Lord". In today's Gospel message we see Peter and the others coming towards shore after a long night of fishing. Once they figure out that the person on the shore next to the fire is Jesus, Peter jumps into the water with great jubilation. Jesus then says, throw your nets over to the right side of the boat where all of the fish are, and they believed and did as Jesus had told them. They listened to the Risen Lord and caught so many fish that day. Jesus then said let's have breakfast. Jesus was cooking for them that day, as he wants us to come to him and feed us as well. Do we have faith in the Risen Lord, I hope so. Today, harden not your hearts, but let his love and mercy flow into your hearts and believe. Dear Jesus please hear the prayers of our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they may be reunited with Christ today in Paradise, we pray, Amen.

April 9, 2021 at 08:47 AM

Eleanor Pierre Respond to comment
April 9, 2021 at 08:37 AM

When I was hungry you gave me to eat when I was thirsty you give me to drink. Now enter into the throne of my Father.Whatsoever you do to the least of my brother you do unto me.Jesus shows up in many forms,we as individuals has to recognize Him when he makes His appearance.

T.W.
April 9, 2021 at 09:24 PM

Eleanor I love what you said, it's the Word. We all are important in the eyes of God. In Christ, there's no big you and little me. He loves and cares for us all.

Christine