Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
April 7, 2021
Wednesday within the Octave of Easter
Burning Within Us
Were not our hearts burning within us while he spoke to us on the way and opened the Scriptures to us?
Luke 24:32

One of the greatest gifts of the Church to the world is sacred Scripture. And yet those same sacred words can become so commonplace that our eyes glaze over when we read them, or our minds wander when we hear them read again and again at Mass.

But Scripture is and must be more than words for us. It is more than history, wisdom and poetry. Scripture is an opportunity for encounter with our triune God. Read prayerfully and with the guidance and spark that can only come from the Holy Spirit, ancient stories bring God alive and burning within us. We open ourselves to the fire of transformation when, like the disciples on the road to Emmaus, our hearts are inflamed by that divine meeting with Jesus.

Holy Spirit, open the Word of God for me so that I may meet Jesus and be changed in the encounter.

- Steve Givens

Acts 3:1-10 • Psalm 105:1-4, 6-9 Luke 24:13-35

Comments

April 7, 2021 at 05:12 PM

What religion teaches us about freedom: Bishop Barron and Rabbi Wolpe - Roundtable - Rubin Report. https://youtu.be/RrkRl8-wJ6U

April 7, 2021 at 03:53 PM

Steve, thank you for your devotion. * Steve beautifully written: "But Scripture is and must be more than words for us. It is more than history, wisdom and poetry. Scripture is an opportunity for encounter with our triune God." Reading prayerfully and Praying to the Holy Spirit to open our hearts and minds the word of God, will cause God's truth and ancient stories to come alive and burn within us with a spark in our hearts that can only come from the Holy Spirit. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

April 7, 2021 at 10:31 AM

April 7, 2021 at 09:53 AM

What helps me to see the old scripture as new again is practicing either lectio divina or St. Ignatius' imaginative prayer. I end up finding new insights that I have overlooked before. It blows my mind sometimes how much I discover what is being said in such short passages.

April 7, 2021 at 09:18 AM

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. This is my favorite verse in the bible, Philippians (4-13). I always like to change I to we and share his message with others. How many times to we find ourselves walking down the road in life, feeling alone, or confused on what or where we are to go next in our life. To fulfill some type of urge, desire found deep inside us and do not know where to turn. In today's first reading and Gospel, we are told that with Christ and in Christ, we can accomplish many things. Also, in today's Gospel we find Jesus inviting us to walk with him down the road of life to eventually break bread with him, so that we too may have our eyes opened wide by his presence. Dear Jesus, please pray for all of our Living Faith Family prayers, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that today they may see the bright face of Christ in Heaven, we pray. I would also like to offer us a special prayer for Father Aaron, his family who have recently lost their husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather, that their hearts may feel your compassion and love in their time of need. We pray, Amen

April 7, 2021 at 06:31 PM

Tim Goetz Tim I am reading this late, I will pray for Father Aaron right now. Please pray for all the people who need our prayers. Ken

April 7, 2021 at 08:49 AM

What a great reminder that we always have “the Eternal Word” to help us through this journey of life. And, as Roman Catholics, we have the greatest gift ever given to mankind- the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. It’s really all we need. God bless.

April 7, 2021 at 08:13 AM

April 7, 2021 at 08:03 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy . Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Father in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirts, who prowl about the world seeding the ruin of souls. Amen

April 7, 2021 at 07:27 AM

"he was made know to them in the breaking of the bread"...I do not fully understand this miracle. I imagine it was a moment they never forgot, and as I continue on my spiritual journey this will be revealed to me also.

April 7, 2021 at 05:21 PM

John 6:35, “Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in Me will never be thirsty.”

Tim
April 7, 2021 at 09:07 AM

Maggi, exactly, you do get it. Jesus is the bread of life and by partaking in this bread our eyes are opened wide. By reading scripture everyday, you will see greater things than these, Jesus tells us in scripture. By "Putting God First" you will see your life transformed. When the storms come into your life, you will be better equipped to handle them as well. Today if you hear his voice harden not your hearts. Come take his bread, his body, it was given up for all of us. (Maggi) thank you for sharing with all of us today. Have a blessed day. Amen

April 7, 2021 at 07:12 AM

Amen...

April 7, 2021 at 03:29 AM

I couldn’t agree with you more Steve. Even this morning I thought to myself I know this scripture inside out. I had to force myself to slow down and prayerfully reread lines I had skimmed over. It is so easy to slip into complacency. I am glad I put in the extra effort, it always pays dividends. Now encouraged and refreshed my day is headed in a different direction.

Dale Kaisershot
April 7, 2021 at 08:52 AM

With spring breaking out, it is a time of wonder. The apostles must have been filled with wonder as the Holy Spirit was opening their hearts to the Lord's beauty. There is no better way to start a new day than to open our hearts to the scriptures of long ago. Dale