Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
April 5, 2021
Monday within the Octave of Easter
Seeing Reality
Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid.”
Matthew 28:10

It seems a bit odd to hear Jesus telling the women who had just realized he was resurrected to not be afraid. His torture and death on Friday was truly frightening; his resurrection should be filled with joy and reassurance. And yet they respond with fear.

Often humans seem to be deeply frightened by encounters with God, as if we walk around believing in God but somehow not quite believing in the reality of God. It seems we may believe in our image of God, not the real, living God.

I see a similar reaction when people view Saturn through a telescope for the first time. Yes, they believe that Saturn is a planet that exists in the universe. But when they see it for themselves, a distant tan world surrounded by rings hanging there silently in the dark, it can blow their mind. “It’s real!” they often say. Saturn doesn’t scare them. But when God breaks through like a view of the rings of Saturn, seeing the reality of God invokes overwhelming awe.

- Aileen O’Donoghue

Acts 2:14, 22-33 • Psalm 16:1-2, 5, 7-11 Matthew 28:8-15

Comments

April 5, 2021 at 11:53 PM

I love the photos at the top of the daily devotion, but am especially curious of where today's photo was taken. Anyone know? Blessings to all of the Living Faith community.

Rose
April 7, 2021 at 06:39 AM

Joanne, Thank you for the correct identification!!!

Joanne
April 6, 2021 at 11:57 PM

That’s Christ the King in Lisbon, Portugal. The bridge is The 25th of April bridge, which is painted the same color as the the Golden Gate. Beautiful photo.

Rose
April 6, 2021 at 08:58 AM

I’m pretty sure that’s the Golden Gate Bridge. San Francisco, California.

Living Faith Team
April 6, 2021 at 08:25 AM

Jane, thanks for the compliment. Our photos come from a gallery of licensed photography curated from photographers from all over the world. Unfortunately we do not often know the locations, but we're still appreciative of the many photographers who contribute their beautiful work.

April 5, 2021 at 03:52 PM

Aileen, thank you for your devotion. * I agree Aileen that us humans seem to be deeply frightened by encounters with God, when God breaks through and touches our lives wonderfully and miraculously, we see the reality of God. It does invoke an overwhelming awe, a fear within us. The soldiers who took the money knew well Jesus had risen from the dead; they knew no one could have stolen the body, they had been paralyzed with fear, they simply chose to hide a truth. * He appears to those who believe and are faithful. Jesus touches our lives wonderfully and miraculously because He wants us to "BELIEVE AND WITNESS". “We are His witnesses”. * God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

April 5, 2021 at 12:39 PM

Another day alive is miracle enough for me! Happy and Blessed Easter to everyone everyday!

April 5, 2021 at 11:47 AM

April 5, 2021 at 11:25 AM

What a beautiful day yesterday and this morning! After 8:30am church yesterday, Matt and I went fishing...we didn't get a thing, but we fished! It reminded me of Jesus saying to the brothers Simon (Peter) and Andrew, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matthew 4:19 and Mark 16:17) We fish, but Jesus is the One Who sends and catches them fish :-) ***After my walk this morning, I felt a little down because I did not have my BSF student lesson completely prepared and I had two weeks :-) But His Word reminded me in Philippians 1:6, "being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." ***More comforting and encouraging Word in today's readings...*Psalm 118:24, "This is the day the LORD has made; let us be glad and rejoice in it." *Acts 2:32-33, "God raised Jesus from the dead, and we are all witnesses of this. Now He is exalted to the place of highest honor in heaven, at God’s right hand. And the Father, as He had promised, gave Him the Holy Spirit to pour out upon us, just as you see and hear today." *Matthew 28:8-9a, "Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went away quickly from the tomb, fearful yet overjoyed, and ran to announce the news to His disciples. And behold, Jesus met them on their way and greeted them." ***My takaways: 1)It is not me who does, but Jesus Who will finish what He has started, so Salina, go fish and enjoy God's creation 2)Listen to Jesus through His Holy Spirit in me 3)Jesus meets me where I am, fear and trembling *******Psalm 16:11, 1, "You will show me the path to life, fullness of joys in Your presence, the delights (my Lord Jesus) at Your right hand forever. Keep me safe, O God; You are my hope!" Amen! Living Hope by Phil Wickham https://youtu.be/9f2FXxDVO6w

April 5, 2021 at 10:06 AM

"Witnesses" Today we have hope again, he has risen and all of here are truly witnesses of this great event. Let us do him great homage by welcoming him into our hearts and proclaiming him to others, announce the good news. Let others who are in darkness know of his light and his sacrifice for each of us. The hope in my opinion is so strong right now. After everything we experienced last week of his fellowship and suffering with and for us, he has risen. He has risen should give us all the hope needed to keep carrying his message forward. Let the whole world know, let us rejoice, he has risen and so now can we. Dear Risen Lord, please hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that today they may see the face of Christ in their heavenly kingdom prepared for each of them, we pray. Amen.

April 5, 2021 at 08:32 AM

Amen! Happy Easter!

April 5, 2021 at 08:28 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. He is Risen!! Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Chris have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God- cast into hell Satan and all evil spirits, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

April 5, 2021 at 07:34 AM

Heavenly Father, help us all realize Your presence in our lives. Thank you for walking beside us each day, and carrying us when we are in our darkest moments. For those who are skeptical or non believers, help them experience Your presence and know that it is You. Amen.

April 5, 2021 at 03:25 AM

A well made point Aileen. It’s one thing to know about Jesus and quite another to experience Him in reality. I have never had an experience as stark as the meeting of the risen Jesus walking in the garden outside the tomb. But I have experienced situations where I have been stopped in my tracks and said to myself what had just happened was no coincidence.

April 5, 2021 at 02:17 AM

Happy Easter to all the Living Faith family! Better late than never. Had to wake up early to spend the day and evening with my family now that we are all 'safe'. What a beautiful Easter Sunday. Hope you all had a blessed day. Alleluia! He is risen!

April 5, 2021 at 08:53 AM

Your comments, Bill and Jo, made me think...Easter! Why called it "Easter?" Does it point me to Jesus or all the rituals and gatherings and meals (not that we can't have all of that)? I prefer "Passion Week!" and "Resurrection Sunday!" What does "Easter" mean to those who celebrate "Easter" with candies, eggs and baskets (by the way there is nothing wrong with candies, eggs and baskets)? And they know not Jesus (any distraction from Jesus is not good for me)? Have we commercialized this "Holy Day? (holiday)" Do I celebrate Easter as "Passion Week?" and "Resurrection Sunday?" Am I being cynical? Possibly...because I believe everyday since the resurrection of Christ two thousand years ago is "He is Risen day!" Resurrection Day is all year round everyday for me :-) He is risen seated on the right hand side of the Father interceeding for me everyday since that Resurrection Day over two thousand years ago :-) Like Tim said everyday, "Put Him first!" That is 'Easter' all year round :-)

Jo
April 5, 2021 at 07:55 AM

Bill, you are not late at all because we celebrate Easter for eight days! Today is Easter Monday! And for every one of the eight days it is as if it were Easter again! Oh what a gift to be Catholic, to be a child of God, to believe in God, to believe in all the truths of the Catholic Church, to have all of the sacraments that will help us on the road to eternity, on this journey of ours through this life into the next life where we will have the fullness of joy forever!May Your day be filled with the grace of God and the joy of Easter! On this fourth day of the novena to Divine Mercy, let us remember and pray for those who do Not believe in God and who do not yet know him! Let us pray they will come to believe in God and know Him as he is, the loving Father who has provided for us in every way especially through Christ who is the way the truth and the life! HAPPY EASTER!!!