Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
April 1, 2021
Holy Thursday
At Your Service
Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and dry them with the towel around his waist.
John 13:5

Imagine the shock felt by Jesus’ apostles as Jesus began to wash their feet. They knew him as the Christ, as the worker of miracles, and now, was he to be their servant? But then, God’s Son was doing what had always been done. In many ways, God has always been serving us. It took a long time for me to see this, and yet, it should have been so obvious.

When I think about my life, I see accomplishments that were never simply mine. They were primarily the results of God working within me. Many of the intuitions that guided my life were really gifts that came from the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit’s guidance, my life would have lost much of its meaning. And if God were to stop remembering any of us for even a second, we would cease to exist! These are examples of how God lovingly serves us. Can you see how God has done this in your life?

Lord, may I always be grateful!

- Fr. Kenneth Grabner, C.S.C.

Exodus 12:1-8, 11-14 • Psalm 116:12-13, 15-18 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 • John 13:1-15

Comments

April 2, 2021 at 08:18 AM

April 1, 2021 at 04:49 PM

Fr. Kenneth, Thank you for your devotion. * Dear God, Let us remember the significance of this Holy Thursday. On this Blessed day, Jesus was the sacrificial lamb for Passover. The bread represented His body and the wine represented His blood. He gave a new commandment that we love one another as He loved us. So I pray that we increase our love for each other. May we treat everyone with love and care as Jesus loved and cared for us. Lord, remove our fears and worries and place Your peace in our hearts. Remind us that Easter is not cancelled! Christ is still risen! May we all pray. Amen. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

April 1, 2021 at 03:36 PM

I love the book of Isaiah :-) Just listen to what God does in today's passage Isaiah 61, "To 1) bring glad tidings to the lowly 2) proclaim liberty to the captives 3) release to the prisoners 4) announce a year of favor from the LORD 5) announce a day of vindication by our God 6) comfort all who mourn 7) place on those who mourn in Zion 8) place a diadem instead of ashes 9) give them oil of gladness in place of mourning 10) give them a glorious mantle instead of a listless spirit! 11) You yourselves shall be named priests of the LORD ministers of our God shall you be called 12) I (The LORD) will give them their recompense faithfully, a lasting covenant I will make with them!" ***Yes, Lord Jesus! Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in my hearing! You are the Alpha and the Omega, the One Who is and Who was and Who is to come, the Almighty! And You name me a priest of the Lord and a minister of my God and equip me with Your Holy Spirit! You give me my recompense faithfully, a lasting covenant You have made with me and my offsprings You will bless!!! To You, Lord Jesus, I submit and surender all! Amen!

April 1, 2021 at 10:46 AM

Eternal rest grant unto him oh Lord. May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen

April 1, 2021 at 06:58 AM

Dear Father Ken, You left earth to rest in heaven on my birth 9Mar. Thank you for sharing with us your wisdom and insight. Your 50th anniversary statement says it all: “As I look back over the past fifty years and beyond, I find much for which to be grateful, much that illustrates the fact that we have a very gracious God who cares for us, and leads us to where we should be.” God bless you. Rest in peace.

Tim
April 2, 2021 at 10:02 AM

So well said, MA. God has sent us many messengers in our lifetime and when like Fr. Ken comes along and transforms our lives, we know that God's actual presence in in our midst. Dear Jesus, may the soul of Fr. Ken be re-united with you this day on Heaven we pray. Give us the strength to remember and apply all that your loyal servant has taught each of us we pray. Amen

MA
April 1, 2021 at 10:10 AM

Thank you Pam. Meant “birthday”. Yes it was as Pam said bittersweet day at least for me - happy that I was eligible to get the covid vaccine but sadden by our loss.

Pam
April 1, 2021 at 09:22 AM

MA, your remembrance of Father Ken was beautiful. It feels bittersweet to read his words after he’s gone. God rest your soul Father Ken and thank you, that we were able to know God’s love through you...and continue to do so.