Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 30, 2021
Tuesday of Holy Week
Work for the Lord
Though I thought I had toiled in vain,
and for nothing, uselessly, spent my strength,
Yet my reward is with the LORD,
my recompense is with my God.
Isaiah 49:4

For years a cross-stitched sampler hung above my desk. It had been a gift a friend had made when we left a comfortable way of life in suburbia to do outreach work in Appalachia.

It served as a touchstone whenever I would feel as though I was toiling in vain or had needlessly spent my strength. Seeing these words would put my harried life into focus and bring about a sense of peace…

Work for the Lord.

The pay isn’t much, but

the retirement plan

is out of this world.

- Judy Schueneman

Isaiah 49:1-6 • Psalm 71:1-6, 15, 17 John 13:21-33, 36-38

Comments

March 30, 2021 at 05:13 PM

Judy, thank you for your devotion. * I like and agree with what you wrote Judy: "What it didn’t say, but implied, was that the work we did was not meant for kudos we might receive, but was meant to give glory to God." At times we may feel like we're "toiling in vain" or are needlessly spending our strength. By being persistent in following and persevering Jesus, the Light of life and having a strong and close relationship with Him, He will let you know that you are not toiling in vain. He will give you Peace, Joy, Hope and Love in your hearts. Working for the Lord is "meant to give glory to God." God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

March 30, 2021 at 02:20 PM

Judy, do you know who wrote that? I'd love to spread it around but want to give credit to the author.

March 30, 2021 at 09:40 AM

Today's devotion reminds me of Galatiand 6:7-10, "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. LET US NOT BECOME WEARY IN DOING GOOD, FOR AT THE PROPER TIME WE WILL REAP A HARVEST IF WE DO NOT GIVE UP. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers!" ***It is NOT what I do for God, but what He does through me!!! What I do for God is from my flesh and what He does through me is of the Spirit :-) Others may not see the difference from the outside and the results may look all the same, but the difference is in my heart and only God can see my heart :-) ***Everything changed during this week of "passion!" What we shouted, "Hosanna!" a few days ago turned into "Crucify Him!" in a couple of days...Jesus became a criminal instead of the Savior/King we wanted! ***Does life look worse than I want? Does things make a bad turn for my situation? Do I know what God is doing? Fast forward a few days...Friday is here (Crucifixation - Isaiah 49:4a, "Though I thought I had toiled in vain, and for nothing, uselessly, spent My strength,") but Sunday is coming (Resurrection - Isaiah 49:6b, "I will make You a light to the nations, that My Salvation may reach to the ends of the earth!") *******Psalm 71, "For You are my hope, O LORD; my trust, O God, from my youth (for me it was 44 years young). On you I depend from birth (the day I was reborn at 44); from my mother’s womb You are my strength (and I didn't even know it). I will sing of Your Salvation (for the rest of my life :-). Amen!!! *Hoshiana by Joshua Aaron in Jerusalem https://youtu.be/BGW62zTwfiw

Bonnie L
March 30, 2021 at 01:08 PM

Amen ! Thank you Salina for your response and Prayers for all Living Faith Family this Holy Week and Easter Sunday.

March 30, 2021 at 08:53 AM

March 30, 2021 at 08:40 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). our Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil sprits, who prowl about the world seeding the ruin of souls. Amen

March 30, 2021 at 08:14 AM

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
March 30, 2021 at 07:14 AM

Thanks Judy for today's devotion. All of us have failed relationships because one party betrayed our trust and our love. In dealing with betrayal in our lives, we are called to look beyond our pains and hurts. We are called to identify with our betrayers. Jesus felt with his enemies more than for himself. At the garden in gethsemane, when Jesus said his soul was troubled, it was not just because of the betrayal of his disciples but being identified with the sins of the world. He knew the weaknesses of men especially in the face of suffering and death. We must be just and honest in our work and not be manipulative and destructive. We must let go and forgive those who have betrayed us and moved on in life instead of allowing the hurts and grievances to continue to bind us, making us unhappy. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

Sandy
March 30, 2021 at 10:18 AM

Excellent response Sham Peter, I agree.

March 30, 2021 at 06:24 AM

This is a great reminder, Judy, thank you! All that we do is for the Glory of Our Awesome God! Blessed Holy Week everyone!

March 30, 2021 at 10:24 AM

I love the comment. Work for the Lord. The pay isn’t much, but the retirement plan is out of this world. I have copied and will paste it all around to people I care about. Living faith family this Friday is also the first Friday of the month. Living faith family please pray for the folks I usually ask for you guys to pray for. I am still not a robot Ken