Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 29, 2021
Monday of Holy Week
Being With Jesus This Week
Six days before Passover Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead.
John 12:1

Before everything shut down last year, I was in New York City to see Hadestown, a musical loosely based on the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. The play is framed, beginning and end, with Hermes singing: “It’s an old song, it’s a tragedy…but we’re gonna sing it again and again.”

Sitting with theatergoers, listening to an affirmation of the power of retelling a tale over and over, reminded me of the importance of liturgy, especially Holy Week. What we tell this week is more than a story.

In Holy Week, time and space are collapsed. We are immersed in the mystery: sitting with Jesus and his friends at dinner, walking with him to Jerusalem, witnessing the Cross and, in time, the empty tomb. We began singing “Hosanna” and end the week singing “Alleluia.” Again and again, we’ll sing.

Jesus, open my heart to your presence and power as I journey with you this week.

- Amy Welborn

Isaiah 42:1-7 • Psalm 27:1-3, 13-14 John 12:1-11

Comments

March 29, 2021 at 04:34 PM

Amy, thank you for your wonderful devotion. * “Be stouthearted, and wait for the Lord” Psalm 27:14. If you have a weakness in your faith life, the key events of Holy Week will serve to bring that flaw to the surface. Holy Week is like a "refiner’s fire" that burns away impurities and melts down imperfections. It is a test of our faith, a "trial by fire", a test of one's faith to perform well under pressure. The important and crucial action in Holy Week is to turn to the Lord for help, and not turn to anyone else. Jesus knows we are weak; that’s why He gave us His Body and Blood during Holy Week. This Holy Week, may we kneel before the Lord and tell Him that we want His will to be done. May we remain with Jesus throughout the trials of Holy Week and may we let Jesus take us through the cross to the resurrection into a new, victorious life in His freedom. “No test has been sent you that does not come to all men. Besides, God keeps His promise. He will not let you be tested beyond your strength. Along with the test He will give you a way out of it so that you may be able to endure it” (1 Cor 10:13). ** This year throughout my Lenten Journey my faith has been tested more then ever before. It has been a rough Lenten Journey for me but I've been saying this prayer: Jesus, I am weak, but You are strong. Keep me near You and near Your cross. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

March 29, 2021 at 10:38 AM

Love the book of Isaiah, the Gospel of the Old Testament! Seven hundred years before, God has told His people of a Savior :-) *Did they hear/read carefully what God said in totality? I don't think so! They knew the coming of Savior, but they did not want to hear the Savior would come through the lowest birth place and suffering on the cross to save them :-( *Why did they say one week, "Hosanna!" meaning, "Save us!" and the next week, "Crucify Him!" *Because their vision of saving was to come in and conquer and defeat the Roman enemies! God didn't do what they wanted Him to do! ***What about me? Do I expect God to come into my situation and save me from pain and suffering the way I see fit? Do I still praise Him if He doesn't take me out of my pain and suffering situations? ***What does "The Lord is my Light and my Salvation" look like to myself and others? ***Psalm 27:23-24, "I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD in the land of the living. (I) Wait for the LORD with courage; (I will) be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD. (Because) The Lord is my Sight and my salvation!" Amen!

March 29, 2021 at 10:11 AM

Born To Worship - Praise Baby Collection. https://youtu.be/TR2Gl4bxqVs

March 29, 2021 at 10:10 AM

I always read the Daily Reflection without looking to see whose heart the words came from, and Amy, I always know when it’s YOU! Thank you for sharing your heart with us and opening ours to God. God Bless us all and all who we love as we gratefully grieve through this Holy Week. Amen.

March 29, 2021 at 09:44 AM

March 29, 2021 at 08:46 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael The Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - Cast into hell Satan and all evil spirts, who prowl about the world seeding the ruin of souls. Amen

March 29, 2021 at 08:37 AM

Sin blinds the soul. It impedes the love and generosity, that God expects from us towards all. The Lord is my light and my salvation. The Prophet Isaiah tells us, God's message that he is bring forth his one and only son who will be his NEW covenant for all his people. He shall bring light and salvation to all of the nations. All we have, we have from God. God opens the eyes of the blind and brings all out of darkness and into the light. Do not turn away from me says the Lord, when you are distressed, rather, turn towards the light and I will be there for you, says the Lord your God. Jesus, shows much mercy to those who have sinned. His desire is that we come to him and follow him. We have walked through Lent to get to this Holy week. For us it will be a painful week to watch Jesus suffer for our sins. What a great gift given to each of us, in which we are allowed to see the pain and suffering of our Lord Jesus Christ first hand. However it is a fantastic, incredible week, in which we are allowed to see how much God the Father loves us. How much the Son loved us and how much the Spirit will continue to help us. Each minute, each hour, each day of this week, let us remember as we walk with Jesus to the cross. Let us strive not to leave him, or deny him. Let us be strong, following him, loving him in our own live this week. Have a terrific Holy Week everyone. Amen. Dear Jesus we come to you on bended knee to ask that our prayers for our Living Faith Family be heard, that the prayers of those who have no one to pray for them be heard and for all of the souls in Purgatory that today they may see the face of Christ in his paradise, we pray, Amen.

March 29, 2021 at 10:21 AM

Amen!!! I hear your heart felt cry to God Who hears and everyone who will hear the call of God to repent of sins and return to Him personally, Tim!

March 29, 2021 at 08:18 AM

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
March 29, 2021 at 08:12 AM

Thanks Amy for today's devotion. The measure of our love for someone is in whether we are able to love with our all. The Lord knows how much we love him sincerely and truly. If we are sincere in loving him, that love must be seen to be humble, expressive and extravagant. When we love our Lord, he will stand by us as he stood for Mary when she was criticized. The Lord understands that love does not count the cost. It is a matter of the heart and not the head. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

SandiG
March 29, 2021 at 09:38 AM

Amen. Great reflection on the gospel.

March 29, 2021 at 08:30 AM

Sham/PeterNarine Well said, I always enjoy your reflections. They are right on. Living faith family this week is a special one. Let's go and let the people we encounter know that the Lord is with us for ever. Mass this morning I am so lucky to be able to attend. Please pray for the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and their families and the living people who have no one to pray for them. Ken