Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 23, 2021
St. Turibius of Mogrovejo
Snakes in My Attic
Pray the LORD to take the serpents away from us.
Numbers 21:7

I once rode the Red Line in Boston when a woman, weighed down by her bags, boarded the subway and clumsily jiggled herself into the seat next to me.

“What are you doing about the snakes in your attic?” she inquired between station stops.

I looked at her. “Me? I don’t have any snakes in my attic.”

“Honey, sure you do. Everybody’s got them. They slither and slide, draining any life out of you.”

This question still haunts me even as I try not to imagine it—snakes crawling in my head and heart.

But we all have them: moments of complaint about the ways of God, being worn out by challenges or just plain hunger and thirst but not finding relief to suit us. The list goes on.

The Israelites, though plagued in a different way, struggled with similar problems. They asked Moses to pray that the serpents be taken away.

Lent is a good time to ask ourselves: Do we?

- Sr. Bridget Haase O.S.U.

Numbers 21:4-9 • Psalm 102:2-3, 16-21 John 8:21-30

Comments

March 23, 2021 at 04:55 PM

If you look closely at the medical symbols we use to this day you will see snakes wrapped around a sword. From Moses time to the present we still need God's healing powers. Thank you to the many medical personnel I have had encounters with. Prayers to your safe keeping.

March 23, 2021 at 11:55 AM

Good Morning LFF! Thank you Sister Bridget for the visual learning lesson this morning. I do not like snakes, not even the garter snakes that I sometimes see in the spring around our yard and garden. Now I will think of the snakes every time the thoughts of complaining come into my head! The thought of them crawling within me gives me shivers. As so should the complaining. May God’s face shine on all of you today and every day. Amen

March 23, 2021 at 11:39 AM

***What did God tell Moses to do in order to be healed from the snake bite? Numbers 21:8-9, "So Moses prayed for the people, and the LORD said to Moses, “Make a saraph and mount it on a pole, and whoever looks at it after being bitten will live.” Moses accordingly made a bronze serpent and mounted it on a pole, and whenever anyone who had been bitten by a serpent looked at the bronze serpent, he lived." ***What happened to the bronze serpent in the history of Israel? 2 Kings 18:3-4, "He (king of Israel, Hezekiah) did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, just as his father David had done. He removed the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He broke into pieces the bronze snake Moses had made, for up to that time the Israelites had been burning incense to it. (It was called Nehushtan.) ***What God has done to remind the Israelites of their sins, they turned it into an idol :-( just as they did with the golden calf in the wilderness for 40 years. The bronze snake and the golden calf are not idols until they became idols in the eyes and hearts of the people when they burned incense to the bronze snake (2 King 18:4b) and sacrified burnt offerring to the golden calf (Exodus 32:4-6). ***The Massage version speaks to me this day in Romans 7:8-12, " Don’t you remember how it was? I do, perfectly well. The law code (God's commandments) started out as an excellent piece of work. What happened, though, was that sin found a way to pervert the command into a temptation, making a piece of “forbidden fruit” out of it. The law code, instead of being used to guide me, was used to seduce me. Without all the paraphernalia of the law code, sin looked pretty dull and lifeless, and I went along without paying much attention to it. But once sin got its hands on the law code and decked itself out in all that finery, I was fooled, and fell for it. The very command that was supposed to guide me into life was cleverly used to trip me up, throwing me headlong. So sin was plenty alive, and I was stone dead. But the law code itself is God’s good and common sense, each command sane and holy counsel." ***What do I do with the snakes in my attic? Do I turn them into idols or are they the reminder of my God and my Lord? Do I turn beauty into idols or does the beauty reminds me of my God and my Lord? Do I turn my love for my loved ones into idols or do I love my loved ones because of my God and my Lord? ***Psalm 102:203, "O LORD, hear my prayer, and let my cry come to you. Hide not your face from me in the day of my distress. Incline your ear to me; in the day when I call, answer me speedily." Don't let me go astray from Your precepts, my God and my Lord!!! ***Idols by Kirk Franklin https://youtu.be/vX694dJ6VyI

March 23, 2021 at 09:55 AM

March 23, 2021 at 08:42 AM

When will we believe? What will it take for us to finally believe in Jesus Christ? When will we begin putting God First, instead of the world out there? These are all good questions to ask ourselves during this time of preparation. I know I must sound like a broken record, pest, but Jesus wants each of us to turn from our sins and begin a new. Come to him in daily prayer, your life will be transformed in a great way. Come to him when we give to others who need our help. Come to him when we do not give into temptation of the world or partake in something of the world that used to lead us into sin. Prayer, Alms Giving and Fasting. Come and believe that Jesus is “I Am” the son of God. We pray, dear Jesus please hear all of the prayer requests of our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for the souls in Purgatory that they may see the face of Christ today in Heaven, we pray, Amen.

March 23, 2021 at 09:05 AM

Tm, you sound like music to my ears every morning :-) God is the great I AM!!! Your consistent and persistent exaltation every morning starts my day right! Reminds me of Lamentation 3:22-23, "Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." Thank you, Tim!

March 23, 2021 at 08:31 AM

March 23, 2021 at 08:21 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God - cast into hell Satan and all evil spirts, who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen