Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 21, 2021
Fifth Sunday of Lent
Harmony and Justice
I will place my law within them, and write it upon their hearts; I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jeremiah 31:33

Back in our student days, we learned how bills become laws, how ideas and written pieces of paper make their way through the legislative process to help us live our lives together in community. Laws, properly written and lived by, lead to harmony and ensure justice for all.

God’s laws, found in the Old Testament and reinforced by the teachings of Jesus, are written on the hearts of God’s faithful and lead us to recognize the central place of God in our lives. God is God, the giver of all life and the instiller of laws that have their foundation in the greatest of all God’s commandments: We must love God and love one another. It is love that is written on our hearts and love that leads us to harmony and justice for all.

Place your law of love deep within me, God.

- Steve Givens

Jeremiah 31:31-34 • Psalm 51:3-4, 12-15 Hebrews 5:7-9 • John 12:20-33

Comments

March 21, 2021 at 01:20 PM

***Jeremiah 31:31-32a, "The days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers," * The new covenant? What is it? ***Jeremiah 31:32b-33, "the day I took them by the hand to lead them forth from the land of Egypt; for they broke my covenant, and I had to show Myself their master, says the LORD. I will place my Law within them and write it upon their hearts; I will be their God, and they shall be My people." *So the Law will be on my heart? How? *** Matthew 5:17-18, "Do not think that I (Jesus) have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished (by Jesus). *So only Jesus can fulfill the Law completely! And when I believe and receive Jesus into my heart, the Law is on my heart :-) *******My takeaways: 1)The Law did not change from old to new. It changed from being fulfilled by men to being fulfilled by Jesus! 2) The old covenant was a two-way contract - God did this and men did that. The Law was broken by men followed by repeated men sacrifices. 3) The new covenant is a one-way contract - God does everything and men do nothing. The Law was broken by men and satisfied (fulfilled) by Jesus once and for all sacrifice on the cross. 4) Romans 7:7b, "it was the law that showed me my sin. I would never have known that coveting is wrong if the law had not said, “You must not covet.” 5) Romans 7:6b, "Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit." 6) Romans 7:4, "So, my dear brothers and sisters, this is the point: You died to the power of the Law when you died with Christ. And now you are united with the One Who (Jesus) was raised from the dead. As a result, we can produce a harvest of good deeds for God." 7) The old covenant fulfilled by repeated sacrifices in the flesh (human strength) pointed us to the new covenant fulfilled completely by Jesus' perfect sacrifice once and for all (people and time) in the Spirit (God strength). * Philippians 4:13, "For I can do everything through Christ, Who gives me strength." * Philippians 2:13, "For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him." * 1 John 4:4b, "the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world." Amen :-)

March 21, 2021 at 12:50 PM

March 21, 2021 at 10:38 AM

CC and Steve, Yes. Prayers for your petitions throughout this day. God Bless CC's Aunt and adult son, and God Bless Gerry and Steve, and all who love them.

March 21, 2021 at 09:59 AM

Steve, yes, I will be praying for Gerry and whatever news he has to tell you! May there be a great amount of acceptance for whatever happens next! God is God, to quote you! May your day be filled with grace!

Tony
March 21, 2021 at 11:28 AM

Will pray for Gerry and for you Steve. We sit at the breakfast table and read Living Faith together. Everyone smiles when they see certain names ... you are one. Thanks for your perspectives and your gift of concise truth and insights.

March 21, 2021 at 09:49 AM

Asking for healing prayers for my aunt and her adult son. Thank you and God bless on this beautiful Sunday morning.

March 21, 2021 at 09:38 AM

Greetings to all in the Living Faith community on this fifth Sunday in Lent. I cannot believe how quickly these lenten days have gone by. It is cool but sunny here in St. Louis, and I look forward to a visit with a friend who has just heard some bad news and then perhaps later a walk to clear my mind and turn my soul toward God, who is the giver of all. Please today say a prayer for my friend, Gerry. Thank you for your continued prayers and blessings on this virtual community.

Bill L
March 21, 2021 at 05:02 PM

Always a pleasure reading your devotions, Steve. Offering up prayers for you and your friend. CC, you will also be in my evening rosary tonight. Hopefully, everyone is enjoying the first days of Spring.

March 21, 2021 at 10:18 AM

Steve I will surely pray for you and Gerry and your familys. Know that you are a great friend to be able to listen to Gerry and give him comfort. I am inspired by the process you are going to take to comfort him and ask for help from the Lord. Praying right now. Ken

March 21, 2021 at 09:13 AM

God’s Law is written on their hearts. God has made a new covenant with his people, by sending his one and only son. Jesus would suffer and die for himself, of course not, but for each of us. This Lent is our chance to make sure that all of God’s gifts and graces to each of us are not wasted. Come to him, with your new refreshed heart and soul, ready to accept these gifts and graces. We did nothing to earn this salvation, but by his suffering and grace we have received it, but we will be expected to follow him to keep it. Fasting, Prayer and Alms Giving, how is this Lent going for you so far. It is never to late to begin a new. These last few weeks of readings are full of continuous messages of second chances, the time to repent is now. His forgiveness, and the need to give to others in need with our time, talents and gifts is now. Fast. Pray and Almsgiving. The time is at hand John The Baptist told us. Jesus now reminds us that his hour has arrived, he is ready, are we. If not we need to get our affairs in order, because his second coming will not wait for those who are not ready. The time is now, harden not your hearts, but let Jesus come into your heart and show you his way. His new covenant is made for each of us. Believe and follow him. Dear Jesus, please hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family. For those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, we pray. Amen.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
March 21, 2021 at 08:43 AM

Thanks Steve for today's devotion. Living our life with passion. Jesus lived his life passionately. To speak of Jesus’ passion signifies two realities, His passion for His Father’s will and His passion for a sinful humanity; but it also signifies the way to redeem humanity, which is through His passion on the cross. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.