Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 20, 2021
Lenten Weekday
The Same Story
The guards answered, “Never before has anyone spoken like this one.”
John 7:46

If we’ve ever been part of a conversation grappling with the mystery behind a newcomer’s background, we may find it pretty easy to slide into the back-and-forth of the crowd in this discussion. Who is Jesus, really? A prophet? The Messiah? No, the Messiah can’t come from Galilee, can he? What does Scripture say about him? Where does this Jesus come from, and where does he belong?

The most sincere assessment comes from the guards who had just been in his presence. When questioned about why they didn’t apprehend Jesus as ordered, they answered simply, “Never before has anyone spoken like this one.” Having no preconceived opinions, they spoke only from their experience of the moment. What the guards witnessed told them that this man’s words held healing and welcome and drew them in. It’s the same story for us, today and always.

- Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, IHM

Jeremiah 11:18-20 • Psalm 7:2-3, 9-12 John 7:40-53

Comments

March 20, 2021 at 03:51 PM

*** "Who is Jesus, really?" Matthew 16:15-17, "Then He asked them (the disciples), “But who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John, because My Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being!" *** So it was the same with Jeremiah in Jeremiah 11:18, "I knew their plot because the LORD informed me; at that time You, O LORD, showed me their doings." *** So it is the same with me in 1 Corinthians 2:10-12, "But it was to us that God revealed these things by His Spirit. For His Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets. No one can know a person’s thoughts except that person’s own spirit, and no one can know God’s thoughts except God’s own Spirit. And we have received God’s Spirit (not the world’s spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us." Amen :-) *Holy Spirit You Are Welcome Here https://youtu.be/MMJne6wUoag

March 20, 2021 at 03:16 PM

Sr. Chris, thank you for your devotion. * "Who is Jesus, really?" Oh what awesome things You have done in my life, dear Lord! I thank You for all that awaits for me in heaven, for everything that lies at my fingertips here on earth, for my family, friends, and material possessions. Nothing compares to You and how You place Your loving hands on me, strengthening, restoring and healing me. You are my all in all. You Lord, are life itself. Thank You for Your mighty, yet gentle, Loving presence. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

March 20, 2021 at 03:34 PM

March 20, 2021 at 02:25 PM

Elizabeth Murphy Respond to comment
March 20, 2021 at 10:25 AM

I believe the guards and executioners and even Pilate knew the bad politics involved and innocence of Jesus, and used more "merciful" means with him when they whipped and nailed him. He died quickly within 3 hours, looking head-on at the ignorance, poverty, and betrayal of humanity, when some were dying for days on the cross. All in Paradise now as promised.

March 20, 2021 at 09:25 AM

Like a lamb led to the slaughter is how Isaiah describes what is to come for the Messiah our Lord Jesus Christ. Even the guards that were around in Jesus’s time did not believe that Jesus did anything but good. Nicodemus meets with Jesus secretly and believes in him and then says to the other Pharisees, does our law condemn a man, even before we find out more about him and hear his side of the story. Blessed are we who do not judge and believe. Dear Jesus please hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family for those who do not have anyone to pray for them and for all of the the souls in Purgatory, we pray, Amen.

March 20, 2021 at 09:14 AM