Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 19, 2021
St. Joseph
Like Joseph
When Joseph awoke, he did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him…
Matthew 1:24

Joseph is a silent hero of the gospels. In Matthew, we have our most extensive encounter with him, and we learn that he struggled with the news that his betrothed “was found with child” (verse 18). How many concerns must have gone through his mind? Worries about what the community would think? Perhaps anger? Certainly confusion.

Yet when in his dream the truth is revealed to him, he obeyed and “took his wife into his home” (verse 24). This act of obedience suggests a humility in the man that we who are fathers are called to imitate. Like Joseph, we can worry about many things. But like Joseph, we are called to set aside our fears when things seem out of control and trust in the Lord. Instead of anger, respond with love. Instead of shame, respond with mercy.

Jesus, help all who are fathers respond to their challenges with the faith and love of St. Joseph.

- Greg Erlandson

2 Samuel 7:4-5a, 12-14a, 16 • Psalm 89:2-5, 27, 29 Romans 4:13, 16-18, 22 • Mt 1:16, 18-21, 24a or Luke 2:41-51a

Comments

March 19, 2021 at 05:27 PM

Greg, thank you for today's devotion. * With great faith St. Joseph give up his life for Jesus, serving Him with love and humility. In giving up his life for Jesus, Joseph found out who he was. St. Joseph, with your help let us live for Jesus and not for ourselves, help us to live by faith in Him, to trust Him and to do His will not ours. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

March 19, 2021 at 04:41 PM

To all of us fathers out there; Happy St. Joseph feast day. Thanks, Greg! Prayers to all the Living Faith family and to those in need of prayers.

March 19, 2021 at 10:16 AM

Excellent devotion, Greg! Thank you! Not just for fathers, but for everyone! As I am studying Genesis this school year, I realize all the characters in the stories throughout are ALL imperfect just like each of us. And every scene in Genesis points to a perfect God Who lovingly and patiently and purposely used imperfect people to fulfill His perfect plan inspite of their sins and imperfection :-) God sent dreams to Joseph in the OT and God sent dream to Joseph in the NT! God sent a message to both of them regarding what was going to happen in the future - a salvation message: Joseph will save his people from famine and Jesus will save His people from sin and death :-) ***Neither one of these Josephs had a very good journey after the dreams fulfilling God's plan! ***This week in BSF as I study Joseph in Genesis, God is omnipresent (everywhere) and the lesson aim is to cause the studnets to learn God is always with us in our suffering! ***I tend to forget (or not remember) what God has told me in His Word like Joseph and Mary in Luke 2:48, 50, "When His parents saw Him (Jesus), they were astonished, and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety...But they (Joseph and Mary) did not understand what He (Jesus) said to them." And the same reactions continued with the disciples of Jesus when He started His ministry 21 years later! The disciples did not understand even after spending 3 years with Jesus! *******Is there no hope for any of us to understand? Of course not, with God all things are possible! BUT GOD...With the power and prompting of the Holy Spirit, I understand! I understand that God's plan was fulfilled, is being fulfilled and will be fulfilled in my life despite my sins, my mistakes and my not understanding :-) God will do what He said he would do and nothing (no human, no circumstances, no ifs or buts) will change that! Thank God for Romans 9:14-17, "What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display My power in you and that My Name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” Amen!!! *Not because of who I am But because of what You've done Not because of what I've done But because of Who You are...Lord Jesus :-) Who I Am by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/mBcqria2wmg

March 19, 2021 at 10:06 AM

Saint Joseph Terror of demons, walk with me today and every day.

March 19, 2021 at 09:31 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

March 19, 2021 at 08:42 AM

March 19, 2021 at 08:35 AM

Dear St. Joseph come into our hearts and minds today as we celebrate your willingness to be the Father of Jesus and most blessed spouse of our Blessed Mother Mary. Through your strong protection of the Holy Family, may we too be protected by your grace, poured out to us your strength to put our faith in the one God whom we all serve. Dear St. Joseph be our protector today from all of the evil in our world. Dear St. Jospeh, thank you for your continuing protection in our own lives and keep us from sin and harm this day, we pray Amen. Let us be imitators of you and bring strength to our own families, we pray, Amen. Dear Jesus, hear our prayers this day for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, may they see the face of Christ today in their Heavenly Kingdom, we pray, Amen.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
March 19, 2021 at 08:30 AM

Thanks Greg for today's devotion. This year we celebrate the 150th anniversary of the proclamation of St Joseph as the patron of the universal Church. The Church sees him as the model of fatherhood. Fatherhood simply means that we assume responsibility in caring for those under our charge, ensuring that they are protected, grow in love and in faith. Joseph found favour with God not because he observed the law but because of his faith in God. He never faltered and went against God’s will even when things did not turn out the way he wanted, as in Mary’s pregnancy or taking refuge in Egypt. He trusted in God’s plan completely and was obedient to his will when the angel told him to accept Mary as his wife. He was a man of deep prayer and contemplation. Because he was a man of prayer, he was a man of faith. But it was a living faith, exercised in daily life as a model father, spouse and worker. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

March 19, 2021 at 08:22 AM

Amen. :)

March 19, 2021 at 08:17 AM

March 19, 2021 at 07:21 AM

Thank you, Greg, for your beautiful reflection on this great Saint, St Joseph! God Bless!

Patrick
March 19, 2021 at 07:59 AM

What a great reflection. Thank you

March 19, 2021 at 07:03 AM

St. Joseph's day could be Fathers' Day as we have the perfect example in Joseph. The call to listen, not hold on to your ego when you know the truth from the readings, and the advice to respond with love instead of anger, mercy instead of shame from the reflection are crucial messages for our fathers, brothers, son, our men who we believe are made in God's likeness.

March 19, 2021 at 05:04 AM

I wish the Psalms were always sung. Why don't you read the scripture before the gospel too? The second reading should also be present, even in daily masses.

March 19, 2021 at 10:26 AM

Go ahead and sing, Troy :-) Go ahead and read, Troy :-) Go ahead and follow the prompting of the Holy Spirit, Troy :-) He hears you sing, He sees you read and He wants you to follow the prompting of the Holy Spirit!

March 19, 2021 at 08:37 AM

Troy I agree I wish the psalms were sung. As long as you weren't near me with my voice. Just finishing novena to Saint Joseph also my middle name kjc. Please join me in praying for the souls in purgatory and those who have no one to pray for them. Throw in the emergency room workers and the support people who run our health systems. Lucky that I can attend Mass will think of you guys there. Ken