Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 18, 2021
St. Cyril of Jerusalem
Our Big God
They forgot the God who had saved them,
who had done great deeds in Egypt…
Psalm 106:21

When I am faced with an obstacle or situation that looms large before me, I can measure myself against it and lose heart. When I feel myself shrinking, I need the reminder that God is Big. It’s nice to have a friend or family member take hold of me and remind me. It’s even better when I remember how to remind myself.

How many times has God saved me? Every. Single. Time.

Then out loud, or on paper if it helps me to see ink on the page as proof, I list all the times God has come through for me or for the people I love. Every time I thought there was no answer and he answered me or gave me new questions. Every time I thought I was out of options and he opened an unseen path before me. Every time I thought I would fall apart and he held me together. Every time I thought I wasn’t enough and he showed me that with him, I was. Every time I was inconsolable and he consoled me.

Remember.

- Kristin Armstrong

Exodus 32:7-14 • Psalm 106:19-23 John 5:31-47

Comments

March 18, 2021 at 10:37 PM

How Great Thou Art!

March 18, 2021 at 04:03 PM

Kristin, thank you for your beautiful devotion. * It touched my heart and spoke to me. "Our Big God", everything you wrote are my sentiments exactly. With and through God everything is possible. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

Patrick
March 18, 2021 at 04:11 PM

Amen to that

March 18, 2021 at 10:04 AM

Sharing with you the Homiletics (Homily) I shared with the BSF students in Genesis 37:1-11 *******Homiletics - An analysis of a Scripture passage. Helps you understand and apply the content of a passage to your own heart, mind and life, and to others. 5 sections: Content, Divisions, Sentence, Truth and Application. First step: Pray! *Content – Lists of Facts Identify the facts in one or more verses. What is happening: where, who and how? Think and shrink: condense the content – doesn’t have to be a sentence or include every detail. (use picture, #hastags, etc) ***Content 1. Jacob in Canaan 2. Joseph tattle-tale his brothers 3. Jacob loved & made Joseph ornamented coat 4. Brothers hated Joseph 5. Brothers hated Joseph’s dream 6-7. Dream: brothers’ sheaves bowed down to Joseph’s 8. Brothers hated Joseph more & asked, “reign and rule over us?” 9. Dream: sun, moon, 11 stars bowed down to Joseph 10. Jacob rebuked Joseph 11. Brothers jealous, father kept matter in mind *Divisions – Summary Sentences: Group consecutive verses of similar content together. Two to three divisions. Stick to the facts: factual contents and not your interpretation. Ensure each sentence is brief and grammatically correct. ***Divisions 1. Genesis 37:1-4 Brothers hated Joseph as Jacob displayed his favoritism. 2. Genesis 37:5-11 Brothers’ hatred of Joseph grew as dreams were disclosed. * Sentence – Passage Summary: The subject sentence is a summary of the whole passage. How can we put these main facts into a sentence. Incorporate the division sentences and reduce them to a concise summary. ***Sentence - Brothers hated Joseph as he was favored by Jacob and declared his dreams! *Truth – Spiritual Truth: What spiritual truth can we learn from this Scripture passage? What do we learn about God? What do we learn about people? ***Truth - Sin causes pain and suffering! *Applications – Statements/Questions Motivating Change: What does this Scripture passage mean to me? What insights does this Scripture passage give me into my motives and heart? How might this Scripture passage impact my life? How might my love for God make me want to change the way I think and act? ***Applications - Do I see my sins causing any problems in my family? Do I see my problems in the family caused by my sins? Do I favor anything or anyone that cause pain and suffering? How do I handle favoritism in my life either for me or against me?

March 18, 2021 at 09:46 AM

I love how you point us and everything back to our "Big God!" Thank you, Kristin :-) Today's readings are sober to me: it is sad, it is alarming and yet it is comforting!!! ***Exodus passage: *God 1) brought the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt 2) Pointed them to His Way 3) was angry because they called the molten calf God! *The Israelites 1) became depraved 2) turned aside from the Way worshipping and sacrificing to idol in the shape of a molten calf 3) were stiff-necked people! *You and me 1) How God brought me out of slavery to the world full of fears and pride? 2) What idols have I made with my own desires that I worship and sacrifice to above or in place of my Lord God? 3) How grateful I am for my Lord God to relent His anger against my idolatry and how confident I am in His faithfulness and goodness? ***This week in BSF, I learn about Judah and Tamar in Genesis 38 that God loves sinners and He works all things for the good of His children. Both Judah and Tamar sinned against God and each other and yet God's plan to send His Son were fulfilled through them as both of them were mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus! ***I love Scripture but do I think my eternal life comes through Scripture or the One Who (Jesus) gives it? ******Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone) by Chris Tomlin https://youtu.be/Jbe7OruLk8I

March 18, 2021 at 09:23 AM

Thank you for the much needed reminder Kristen. Amen!

March 18, 2021 at 09:10 AM

So beautiful and powerful! With God, all things are possible. Thank you Kristen, for reminding us that He is always the answer.

March 18, 2021 at 09:08 AM

Kirstin, thank you for this great reminder, that we are never alone to face our difficulties in life, that our Loving God is there by our side, if we will allow him into our lives. Amen. Lord show us your mercy, for we have sinned. The Lord show us his mercy and love, let us come to the Lord. Let us reach out to others and suggest his light to them, so that their own lives may be full of light verse darkness and alone. God sent his one and only son into our world not to condemn it, but rather to save us from our sins. Believe in Jesus the son of the Father, for he was sent to save us and to bring us his light and out of our darkness. This Lent is the perfect time, to look for this bright light and turn away from the darkness, sin in our lives. Many say they believe, but do not love or show mercy towards their neighbor. We must lead by our own examples, not by our own praise. Jesus know our hearts. Today, harden not your heart and come to him, who shows us much love and mercy. Dear Jesus, hear our prayers today for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that today they may see the face of God in his Kingdom, we pray, Amen.

March 18, 2021 at 08:55 AM

Thank you, Kristin, for this beautiful reflection! Many of your reflections have touched me deeply and made lasting impressions on my heart❤️

March 18, 2021 at 08:51 AM

March 18, 2021 at 08:17 AM

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
March 18, 2021 at 08:05 AM

Thanks Kristin for today's devotion. Dear Father in heaven, we thank you. We want to be ready to thank you at all times. We look forward with joy to your kingdom and await the redemption that will free us to the very depth of our being, to the praise and thanks and honor of your name. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a great day everyone.

March 18, 2021 at 07:58 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humble pray, and do thou, O prince of the Heavenly Hosts - by the power of God- cast into hell Satan and all evil spirts, who prowl about the world seeding the ruin of souls. Amen

March 18, 2021 at 07:53 AM

Amen...

March 18, 2021 at 06:31 AM

Every moment of every day God is there- what a wonderful gift we have in Him!

March 18, 2021 at 04:50 AM

AMEN !!! How Great is our God.

Maggi