Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 15, 2021
Lenten Weekday
Envisioning the Kingdom
Lo, I am about to create new heavens and a new earth.
Isaiah 65:17

Isaiah describes a new creation of universal happiness, ample food and good health for all. His words seem a stark contrast to our usual headlines. Is this wishful thinking? Not really. Isaiah envisions a future not yet fully realized, a future in-process.

Jesus shared Isaiah’s vision. He called it the kingdom of God. Jesus came to make this vision a reality, not merely by curing physical illnesses, but curing selfishness, pride, greed and hatred.

What’s more, Jesus said this kingdom was already in our midst. We get glimpses of it if we look closely: strangers helping strangers, selfless parents, devoted nurses, dedicated educators, smiling octogenarians, caring neighbors, teenage volunteers, generous donors, families welcoming newborns and much more.

Jesus, teach me to catch glimpses of the kingdom of God. And help me to do my small part today to make that kingdom present wherever today takes me.

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

Isaiah 65:17-21 • Psalm 30:2, 4-6, 11-13 John 4:43-54

Comments

March 15, 2021 at 10:32 PM

Sr. Melannie, thank you for your beautiful devotion and for making me see that the kingdom of God is already in our midst. I've always wondered about and I sometimes have trouble understanding "the Kingdom of God", But what you wrote: "We get glimpses of it if we look closely: strangers helping strangers, selfless parents, devoted nurses, dedicated educators, smiling octogenarians, caring neighbors, teenage volunteers, generous donors, families welcoming newborns and much more" helps me to understand a little bit of what the Kingdom Of God is all about. The Kingdom of God is so Huge and Majestic it takes a lifetime to understand it. Sr. Melannie, a wonderful devotion. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

March 15, 2021 at 11:29 AM

Sharing with you an excellent video I listened to during my walk this morning! What a warning, what a picture, what an analysis and what an encouragement! Defending the Faith in a Hostile World by Dr. Voddie Baucham https://youtu.be/gzoMDltjM5k

March 15, 2021 at 09:34 AM

The Gospel of John is unlike the other three Gospels. John’s purpose is not to present a chronological narrative of the life of Christ but to display His deity. John sought to strengthen the faith of second-generation believers and bring about faith in others! ***John 20:31, "But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His Name." ***John 21:24-25, "This is the disciple (John) who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true. Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." ***John 1:1, 14, "In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word (Jesus) was with God, and the Word (Jesus) was God...The Word (Jesus) became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son, Who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." *******I SO look forward to the new heaven and new earth :-) Let's hear what Peter said about it and what we are to do in the mean time in 2 Peter 3:10-18, "But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare. Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with His promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness (God) dwells. So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with Him. Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever! Amen." *Famous For (I Believe) by Tauren Wells https://youtu.be/o15X2yZ1LT8

March 15, 2021 at 08:48 AM

men! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen

March 15, 2021 at 08:08 AM

“Faith in the Kingdom to come”. “Faith that nothing is impossible for God”. What a great way to begin a week full of Faith found in today’s readings. Isaiah speaks to have faith and that the past is the past and the future is now. Now, a time to repent, turn away from our sins and live a new, because God can turn our mournings into dancing. God’s promise to us is that he will build a NEW Jerusalem, an everlasting Kingdom, leave the past sinful ways behind and live a new. Ask for forgiveness of our sins and live a holy life, God at our side each step of the way. Our reward is to be able to live with him in his Kingdom, everlasting life. “Go your son will Live”. The Royal official had great faith, Jesus knew what was in his heart, and is why he said go your son will live. The official did not ask anymore questions or have any other requests for Jesus, he knew in his heart who Jesus was and what Jesus could offer his son and us in our own life. With faith the size of a mustard seed we can move mountains. This Lent, where is our faith, stronger than ever or does it need some cleansing. May we receive our Lord Jesus Christ into our heart today, repent of the past sins we had committed and live a new life in the presence of God. Increase your faith so that you too may have eternal life with him in his Kingdom. Dear Jesus we pray for all of the prayer intentions of our Living Faith Family, for all of those who have no one to pray for them and for the souls in Purgatory, that they may see the face of Christ in heaven today, we pray, Amen.

March 15, 2021 at 06:59 AM

I also had to google octogenarians. I do not believe it is a coincidence that this word appears on the day my husband and I are meeting with the social worker to discuss my mother in laws necessary move from the hospital to a rehab nursing home. I have been struggling since her fall about how to pray and what I should be praying for. At 87 years old what is best. I woke in the middle of the night with this heavy on my mind and heart, when the words Thy Will Be Done kept repeating. Looking back, the day before she fell I received the most precious video of my 4 year old granddaughter saying the Our Father during her bedtime prayers. Thank you Lord for all the things you do for me. I know you are with us and will guide us in all the decisions made today and everyday. Thank you for Blessing me with a beautiful family. Thank you for the many years of love and support Ma has given us. Our Father who art in Heaven....

Bill L
March 15, 2021 at 05:14 PM

You will be in my prayers tonight, Elise. It was a difficult time for us as well.

March 15, 2021 at 09:09 AM

Still by Hillary Scott and The Scott Family https://youtu.be/APAgH2gfNHU

March 15, 2021 at 09:05 AM

Thy Will by Hillary Scott and The Scott Family https://youtu.be/PAmh3yvmzXs

Annette
March 15, 2021 at 08:30 AM

Elise, as one who has walked the journey with both her Mother and Father, I wish you God's blessing and guidance along this journey. This will be one of many decisions that you will have to make. May you do them with knowledge, love, understanding, and the guidance of Our Lord God in heaven. It is often times not an easy road, but a satisfying one knowing that you are with the ones that came before us and who helped nurture us to who we are today. God bless you my dear friend. And remember to call on him when in need. He will answer your prayers.

Tim
March 15, 2021 at 08:10 AM

Elise, we are praying for your family. Amen

March 15, 2021 at 07:51 AM

Elise I will pray for you and your mother right now Elise these are trying times, Find out about the rehabilitation program and the staff. Most especially take time to pray and ask the Lord to help. Praying Ken

March 15, 2021 at 05:08 AM

Octogenarians? Wow! How many here know who they are? I had to look this one up myself!

Linda
March 15, 2021 at 07:21 AM

Elise, Your words are so inspirational! I am with you on your journey. We are all in this together and I can tell by the heartfelt concern and love for your mother-in-law that you will do the right thing. His Will be done! Have a beautiful day!

March 15, 2021 at 12:22 AM