Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 14, 2021
Fourth Sunday of Lent
God Wants to Save Us All
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.
John 3:17

In this season of penance, when we focus on our sins, it’s important to remember that the gospel is the Good News. It’s the news that God loves us and calls us always to be closer.

When I hear sermons or homilies focusing on people’s shortcomings and flaws, I find myself wondering how many of the people listening actually spend most of their time flogging themselves for their failings. We’ve all heard reprimanding preachers and found it hard to believe that we’re worthy of being saved. This passage reminds us that God wants to save us all!

When I reflect on salvation, I don’t think so much of being saved as of being salved. I think that God sent his Son into the world to apply a salve to our aching consciences and flagging hearts to heal us. So, take hope. God did not send his Son into the world to condemn us.

- Aileen O’Donoghue

2 Chronicles 36:14-16, 19-23 • Psalm 137:1-6 Ephesians 2:4-10 • John 3:14-21

Comments

March 14, 2021 at 03:37 PM

March 14, 2021 at 03:09 PM

Aileen, thank you for your inspiring devotion. * I have been struggling this year spiritually, mentally, emotionally and with my relationship with Jesus during my Lenten Journey. I have not been having a good Lenten Season, I don't know why but I'll have to reflect on it and pray for God's healing, to be "salved". My faith and belief in Jesus and the word of God is still stronger then ever, It's just that I've had a rough time spiritually, mentally and my relationship with Jesus, I don't seem to feel the closeness. I thank God that: “God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life”, and that God’s heart breaks open so as to include even the worst and most hopeless among us. God did not send his Son into the world to condemn us. Thank you Dear Lord for Loving me, us unconditionally. God Bess our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

March 14, 2021 at 02:23 PM

***It is important to understand that Matthew 3:18, "Whoever believes in Him (Jesus) will not be condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned because he has not believed in the Name of the only Son of God!" Yes, God didn't send His son to condemn us because we are already condemned when we don't believe in Jesus :-( ***It is important to understand that in order to be salved you have to be saved or it is meaningless to be salved in this physical earthly life. ***Look at what Jesus did in a particular order (save and salve) and what He said in Matthew 9:2, 5-7, "Some men brought to Him (Jeaus) a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.” .......Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So He said to the paralyzed man, “Get up, take your mat and go home.” Then the man got up and went home." ***We are not worthy of being saved and that is why the good news is the Good News. Truth can sometimes feels like a reprimand or "fire and brimstone" but it is still truth after all! The opposite can have a devastating result: God loves and saves everyone and everyone goes to heaven which is not whole truth. The love message feels good and there is no urgency to do anything any different as people dying going to hell without believing in Jesus. ***Remember what Jesus said in Matthew 7:13-14, "Enter through the narrow gate (only believing in Jesus can save me). For wide is the gate and broad (God loves and saves everyone and everyone goes to heaven) is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." ***Ephesians 2:8, "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from you; it is the gift of God; it is not from works, so no one may boast!" So I am not worthy because Jesus is worthy XOXOXO *** I am not worthy https://youtu.be/5mNZDG530T4 *******What are you going to do? Come into the Light and Jesus is waiting for you :-)

March 14, 2021 at 11:38 AM

Amen! I love this!

March 14, 2021 at 11:13 AM

Good morning Son shine! I was born in a family with a Catholic father and Lutheran mother. My mother converted and was our driving force in our deeply rooted Catholic faith. Thanks Mom! Although, the sinner I am, I left the church for a time period. I was gone for about 5 years and started having yearnings to go back to the faith community and attend mass regularly. Fear kept me from entering the door. What if I am stopped by the parishioners who knew I was gone for awhile and noticed I have been absent. What if there were changes in the mass and prayers and people would see I haven’t attended regularly and don’t know what to do or say. Needless to say, my Holy Spirit brought me through those fears and to the door of the church. Praise God! Thinking of the fears I went through, I wondered if other Catholics felt the same way. I heard about Catholic Welcome Home programs and brought it to our parish leaders. They embraced the idea and we started a program during the Lenten season for helping those wanting to come back. So those of you pondering, your faith community is there with open arms to welcome you home! Our Good Shepherd taught us the agape to be there for you. I pray for those floundering in their faith for God never abandoned you.Come home! Amen.

March 14, 2021 at 10:26 AM

Living faith family good morning. What a beautiful day blue sky moving clouds. I am happy to be alive. I need you guys help for an old feeble guy?? I have been reading the prayer requests but they have not been updated since March 6 am I missing some time. Half way through lent. Living faith family know that I keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. Please remember to take some time and thank God for the gifts and treasure you have Please pray for souls in purgatory and the essential workers and their families and the souls who have no one to pray for them. Ken

March 14, 2021 at 09:18 AM

Amen. This hit home today! Jesus is a salve as well as our savior. Praise and honor and glory to you Lord. Prayers for all.

annie
March 14, 2021 at 11:05 AM

The Living Faith Family appreciates and thanks you for all of your prayers Ken. Praying for you too. Continue to keep Zachary in your prayers. He is doing great thanks to all of the prayers. He is in Grade 6, and has not been inside of a classroom in over a year due to his school going virtual. Pray that all schools can open up safely again. May God continue to Bless our Living Faith Family. Amen!

March 14, 2021 at 09:15 AM

“Love-Mercy-Grace”. These are offered to us from God our Father in Heaven, but many choose darkness over light, bad over good. Throughout history we have seen that God has offered us these (3) key gifts that we simply brush aside because of SIN. How many times do think these gifts will be offered to us. We could lose these forever, if we do no stop our sinful ways and repent. In all of today’s readings we hear the same message over and over from God. A message of salvation, God sent his only son into our world to die for our sins, so that we may live and share eternal life with him in his kingdom. Then why do we not hear his voice to change, come back to him. Sin, noice and interruptions of the world around us and continuing temptation. Enough already, now is the time, not tomorrow, our second chance is now. Do not let another Lent to go by and not at least try to live a better life with Jesus at the center. Live a life where we notice our sinful ways and want to stop them. A life full of compassion, love, joy and forgiveness towards others. A life closer to God. All of these are possible, if we simply Put God First in our lives. Pray, Fasting and Alms Giving we are told are the keys to a fulfilling Lenten Journey with Jesus. “Love-Mercy-Grace” are knocking at our hearts door, let us all answer the door of our hearts with Joy and Love. Dear Jesus we are a sinful people, but we come today to ask with our sincere hearts for your forgiveness and hear the prayers of the Living Faith Family you have gather here today, for all of those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they may be reunited with Christ in Heaven, we pray. Amen.

March 14, 2021 at 09:01 AM

Totally agree 100%!!!

March 14, 2021 at 07:54 AM

So true! I was raised Presbyterian and can remember those “fire and brimstone” messages even as a child. One of the many reasons I was drawn to Catholicism was the gentle and kind mercy of all that is asked for us during the mass.

azmom
March 14, 2021 at 09:56 AM

I’m so glad you found your way to the Catholic Church, Sandy. Converts like you are such a gift to the Church. Another Presbyterian convert is Scott Hahn. Through his books and talks he showed me the beauty of my faith that I had never really seen before. God bless!