Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 13, 2021
Lenten Weekday
Seeing Flaws
The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself, “O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity—greedy, dishonest, adulterous—or even like this tax collector.”
Luke 18:11

While visiting my daughter’s home last summer, I noticed that weeds were overtaking her luscious flower garden. She is a busy working mom of two young children, and although I resisted the impulse to mention it to her, I still judged her a little. Any feelings of superiority I had quickly vanished when I watered my yard later that day and discovered an abundant crop of weeds in my own garden.

How easily I may overlook my own flaws yet criticize those same shortcomings in others.

This is especially tempting today on so many levels, both personal and corporate. I know that it is only when I take time for quiet meditation that I notice where my sincere desire to grow in faith, hope and love has become tainted with self-righteousness.

- Terri Mifek

Hosea 6:1-6 • Psalm 51:3-4, 18-21 Luke 18:9-14

Comments

March 13, 2021 at 03:31 PM

Terri, thank you for your devotion. * In today's Jesus tells us of the Pharisee and the tax collector, so, stereotypically righteous and unrighteous people, who both enter the temple to pray. But what a world of difference in their manner of praying! The entire point of religion is to make us humble before God and to open us to the path of love. Liturgy, prayer, the precepts of the Church, the Commandments, sacraments, sacramentals—all of it—are finally meant to conform us to the way of love. When they instead turn us away from that path, they have been undermined. Both St. Paul and the Gospel writers—as well as Jesus himself, of course—are intensely aware of this danger. This is precisely why Paul speaks of the dangers of the Law. He knew that people often use the Law as a weapon of aggression: since I know what is right and wrong in some detail, then I am uniquely positioned to point out your flaws. And when I point out your flaws, I elevate myself. In short, the Law, which is a gift from God, has been co-opted for the purposes of the ego. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

March 13, 2021 at 01:03 PM

March 13, 2021 at 11:31 AM

Pray the Jesus prayer often. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

March 13, 2021 at 11:10 AM

Lord free me from my attachment to self-righteousness.

March 13, 2021 at 10:34 AM

Amen. We are all children of God and deeply in need of God's Mercy, one and all. Please keep me in your prayers this Lent as I turn inward and clean house, pray, fast and work a 12 step Way, and become honest, open and willing to do the next right thing, only with the Grace of God. Thank you.

March 13, 2021 at 10:27 AM

Terri, thank you for a humbling devotion. I have been thinking myself that instead of pointing out someone's flaws, is rather to offer my help. On a lighter note I wish those tax collectors would turn from there sin. :) God bless our LF family!

March 13, 2021 at 09:45 AM

God sent us his Prophet's to remind us to turn our lives away from sin and towards what is good. God is good for our lives, he is a God full of Love and Mercy for us and asks each of today through his Prophet Hosea, to not harden our hearts, but to welcome him into our lives. This is what Lent is all about to look within our own selves and turn away from our sinful habits and try and try again to come closer into our relationship with our Father and his Son. In today's Gospel we see two different type of souls, one that is all caught up in himself and one who recognizes his sinful ways, and asks God for his Love and Mercy for he and us are all sinners. We should all be taking this valuable time and opportunity during Lent to ask God for his forgiveness and begin a new, stronger relationship with him. I have a secret that might help. "Put God First". Lastly we are so blessed to have almost everyday "A Sinner" post as part of our Living Faith Family. In today's Gospel I hear these words repeated with much sincerity, "O God, be merciful to me a sinner". Let us too look within and ask our God to show us his Love and Mercy, because we hear his voice. Dear Jesus, please hear the prayers here today from your Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, may they see the face of Christ today, we pray, AMEN.

Tim
March 14, 2021 at 09:22 AM

Amen, Pam. Thank you for sharing that with me. I hope you are well. God Bless you Pam. Amen.

david
March 13, 2021 at 05:43 PM

Amen

Pam
March 13, 2021 at 10:16 AM

Tim...I saw this the other day and thought of you! T.G.I.F. "Today God Is First"! God Bless us all, and all who we love!

March 13, 2021 at 09:06 AM

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
March 13, 2021 at 05:36 AM

Thanka Rerri for today's devotion. One of the most dangerous sins that can destroy our spiritual life is that of presumption. The sin of presumption can manifest in two extreme ways. The first way is presuming God’s unconditional forgiveness for our sins. The other extreme is to presume that we are not in need of mercy and forgiveness. Both of these extremist positions will lead us away from God, either to the sins of the world or to the sin of pride. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

david
March 13, 2021 at 05:49 PM

Sham Peter Narine, This sentence from your above comment really means something to me when I read it I can identify with the meaning of it. "The first way is presuming God’s unconditional forgiveness for our sins."

March 13, 2021 at 07:24 AM

Indeed, Sham Peter Narine! God's forgiveness of my sins is not unconditional...it costed Him His Son!!! The word "forgive" means to wipe clean the slate, to prod, to cancel a debt. Forgiveness is a decision to not hold something against another person. Forgiveness is not granted because I have have done something to deserve it, but because of what Jesus had already done dying on the cross in my place.......