Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 11, 2021
Lenten Weekday
Active Listening
Listen to my voice; then I will be your God and you shall be my people. Walk exactly in the way I command you, so that you may prosper. But they did not listen to me, nor did they pay attention.
Jeremiah 7:23-24

God the Father sent instructions to his children—his Chosen people—for their own good. Yet their poor choices led to heartbreaking consequences. Too often, that has described me too. So now, one of my life’s goals is to shorten the distance between what God asks of me and my actual doing of it.

God’s first counsel here is: Listen.

Active listening is something we all can practice by offering a concerted effort to hear what is being communicated. Before adding new thoughts to the conversation, the hearer carefully repeats back what was said. (Try it: What I heard you say is…)

Active listening allows the speaker to restate their part if not yet fully understood while offering the receiver a chance to get it right.

- Pat Gohn

Jeremiah 7:23-28 • Psalm 95:1-2, 6-9 Luke 11:14-23

Comments

March 11, 2021 at 01:23 PM

Thank you Pat for this devotion. My first thoughts about listening to someone (as we know God can speak to us through others) is how many times we may try to manipulate what we're hearing to our way of what we really want to hear what is being said. We are convincing ourselves that our way is better. The Lord's way is the only way even if it is hard to hear. I pray for the grace to hear what I really don't want to hear! May the Lord harden not our hearts! Continued prayers and blessings to all.

March 11, 2021 at 12:10 PM

Hi everyone! Your friendly Living Faith editor here. Just want to offer a reminder about a new initiative we have going on—we are inviting readers to become Living Faith Ambassadors. We'll send you free copies to share with people you may know, who may choose to subscribe. This is not only for Living Faith, but if you have friends or family who would benefit from Living Faith KIDS or our Spanish-language devotional, La Fe Viva, those could be sent also. We have a lot of great energy here in the comment box. If you'd like to take this next step in sharing Living Faith devotionals with others, check out our link here to get involved: https://www.livingfaith.com//ambassador Thank you!

March 11, 2021 at 10:32 AM

***Here is what I hear You say, Lord, "But they obeyed not, nor did they pay heed. They walked in the hardness of their evil hearts and turned their backs, not their faces, to Me." 1) I do not obey You or pay attention to what You are telling me! 2) I walk according to what I want when I want and where I want! 3) I turn my back on You and say yes to Your face! ***What You said reminds me of Your Word in James 1:23-24, "For if you listen to the Word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like!" ***Jeremiah 7:28, "Say to them: This is the nation that does not listen to the voice of the LORD, its God, or take correction. Faithfulness has disappeared; the Word itself (Jesus Himself) is banished from their speech." ***So if I am not with You and in Your Name, Lord Jesus, then I am against You! And if I don't gather with You and in Your Name, then I am scattered! (Luke 11:23) ***Philippians 2:9-11, "Therefore God exalted Him (Jesus) to the highest place and gave Him the Name that is above every name, that at the Name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Amen :-) ***Philippians 2:12-13, "Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your Salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God Who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill His good purpose." Amen :-) ***No Other Name by Hillsong Worship https://youtu.be/Wku9OphQ7JE *******Only in the Name of Jesus I pray and bow my knees as You said in John 14:13-14, "And I will do whatever you ask in My Name (Jesus), so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask Me for anything in My Name (Jesus), and I will do it!" Yes, Lord Jesus! Don't let me walk away from Your Word (the mirror) and forget what You said (what I look like: a sinner saved by grace.) In Jesus powerful Name, I pray! Amen :-)

March 11, 2021 at 10:31 AM

"Listen to my voice". This is a very important command from our God. Walk in the ways he has taught each of us. He is our God and we are his people for sure. Let us not harden our heart today, but listen to his voice. The Lenten Season is a perfect time as we are now getting closer and closer to Holy Week, let us listen and be prepared. Let us not be divided Jesus asks us today in his message. Whoever is not with me is against me, it is that simple. I pray that we can be God's people and be with him always, not against him. "Listen to him and hear his voice". Dear Jesus, please hear all of the prayers of our Living Faith Family as we bear our crosses this day, please hear the prayers of those who have no one to pray for them this day and lastly please hear the prayers for all of the souls in Purgatory who long to see your face in Heaven today, we pray, Amen.

March 11, 2021 at 09:52 AM

Active listening reminds me "The Comfort Circle" I learned years ago. So here is the Comfort Circle guide for the listener to practice: https://hwl-prod-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2016/11/24052821/ComfortCircleForTheListener.pdf Here are additional resources: https://howwelove.com/resources/

david
March 11, 2021 at 09:01 PM

To listen is to maybe turn your face but not your back. Because when we turn our back we do not listen instead we walk away but if you turn our face we stay in position but we remember to listen.

Pat Gohn
March 11, 2021 at 12:04 PM

Yes, the goal is to keep listening and keep the conversation going! This is especially important when sharing about the faith.

Eleanor Pierre Respond to comment
March 11, 2021 at 08:26 AM

Good morning Living faith family.I would like you to pray for my sister who is having financial difficulties. Her son signed for a mortgage for her about seven years ago,and now he wants his name of the loan.She is a retiree and can't assume the loan.Please if anyone can assist me which way to go I 'll appreciate. Thank You.

March 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM

Elinore I will pray for you and your sister. Lawyer might be a good idea. Reverse mortgages are an option but Lawyer's advice on any major decision Praying right now Ken

Sandy
March 11, 2021 at 01:15 PM

I have to agree with Salina on this situation. It sounds a bit stressful to have to move, but I don't think the son should be without an opportunity to get his own mortgage to buy a home, support a family or whatever he may need. At least that is what I would do for my children. Best wishes to your family.

March 11, 2021 at 09:01 AM

I assume the son doesn’t want to or couldn’t afford to support his Mom in the mortgage payment and wants out of the loan. May be he has his own family to support. My advise is to sell the house and find a smaller and affordable place to live where she can afford as a retiree by herself. I am sure her son will help her make that transition! Luke 14:28-30, “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’

March 11, 2021 at 08:15 AM

March 11, 2021 at 08:05 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Father, in the name e of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly host. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your Kingdom must come now. our will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen

March 11, 2021 at 07:09 AM

This is a brilliant idea and will help me to have time as well, to curb an angry response that I would regret!

March 11, 2021 at 08:18 AM

Pat what I read what you wrote was stop process what I read then restate it in what you read. I heard that before but never did actually try it I will try now. Sandy what I read is to take time before getting angry Mass this morning a sinner, Sandy and the living faith family will be in my prayers. Please pray for the people who have no one to pray for them and the souls in purgatory. Try prayer requests on this site, those people are asking for your prayers also. Ken