Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
March 10, 2021
Lenten Weekday
Fulfilling a Prophecy
Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.

Matthew 5:17

Jewish history often chronicles religious persecution, violence and repression. Yet the Old Testament prophets offered hope with their stories of the coming of a Messiah. This Messiah, the prophets foretold, would free the Jewish people from their oppressors. He would rule the Jewish world with compassion and mercy.

It’s probably no surprise that many Jews did not believe that Jesus was this hoped-for Messiah. He did not come as a ruler to overthrow the Romans. He did not come to abolish the existing law. He came to fulfill the Scriptures and to promise salvation for all believers. He came with a powerful message of love and forgiveness and mercy. He came to save us from sin and offer us a path to everlasting life.

- Paul Pennick

Deuteronomy 4:1, 5-9 • Psalm 147:12-13, 15-16, 19-20 Matthew 5:17-19

Comments

March 10, 2021 at 10:06 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Father, in the man e of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly host. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' \radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must e done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen

March 10, 2021 at 08:55 AM

Craig
March 11, 2021 at 03:40 PM

In 70 days from this Very Day 3/11/21 Every eye shall see, And every knee shall bow Watch, and pray

March 10, 2021 at 08:41 AM

Sharing with you Homiletics (Homily) we teach the students at BSF this week. ***Homiletics *An analysis of a Scripture passage. *Helps you understand and apply the content of a passage to your own heart, mind and life, and to others. *5 sections: Content, Divisions, Sentence, Truth and Application. *First step: Pray! ***Homiletics Content *Identify the facts in one or more verses. *What is happening: where, who and how? *Think and shrink: condense the content – doesn’t have to be a sentence or include every detail. (use picture, #hastags, etc) *** Genesis 35:1-7 *1. Then God said to Jacob, “Go up to Bethel and settle there, and build an altar there to God, who appeared to you when you were fleeing from your brother Esau.” *2. So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, “Get rid of the foreign gods you have with you, and purify yourselves and change your clothes. *3. Then come, let us go up to Bethel, where I will build an altar to God, who answered me in the day of my distress and who has been with me wherever I have gone.” *4. So they gave Jacob all the foreign gods they had and the rings in their ears, and Jacob buried them under the oak at Shechem. *5. Then they set out, and the terror of God fell on the towns all around them so that no one pursued them. *6. Jacob and all the people with him came to Luz (that is, Bethel) in the land of Canaan. *7. There he built an altar, and he called the place El Bethel, because it was there that God revealed himself to him when he was fleeing from his brother." *** I. Homiletics Content **1. God, “Jacob, build altar at Bethel where I appeared!” **2. Jacob, “Rid of any gods, purify and change clothes!” **3. Jacob, “Let’s go Bethel where God answered me in distress n was with me!” **4. They rid all gods including earrings, Jacob buried them. **5. No one dared to pursue them as they set out. **6. Arrived at Bethel. **7. Jacob built altar at Bethel where God revealed Himself. *** II. Homiletics Divisions *Group consecutive verses of similar content together *Two to three divisions *Stick to the facts: factual contents and not your interpretation *Ensure each sentence is brief and grammatically correct. **1. Genesis 35:1-3 God’s call to repentance and renewal and Jacob obeyed. **2. Genesis 35:4-7 God’s call to repentance and renewal and family obeyed. *** III. Homiletics Sentence *The subject sentence is a summary of the whole passage *How can we put these main facts into a sentence *Incorporate the division sentences and reduce them to a concise summary **Genesis 35:1-7 God called for repentance and renewal and all obeyed! *** IV. Homiletics Truth *What spiritual truth can we learn from this Scripture passage? *What do we learn about God? *What do we learn about people? ** Sin requires repentance and renewal! *** V. Homiletics Applications *What does this Scripture passage mean to me? *What insights does this Scripture passage give me into my motives and heart? *How might this Scripture passage impact my life? *How might my love for God make me want to change the way I think and act? **1. God calls me to repentance and renewal. **2. What or where is my Bethel where God reveals Himself to me? His Word! **3. What little gods I need to get rid of? Annoyance from others… **4. What earrings represent the little gods I am wearing? The Instagram postings? ** 5. I need to focus on God and His will and plan for me!

Eleanor Pierre Respond to comment
March 10, 2021 at 08:29 AM

Amen Hallelujah!!!

March 10, 2021 at 08:29 AM

Good Wednesday Morning Living Faith Family. "The Law-God's Law". In today's first reading we hear Moses remind us that we must observe the Law, which he gave us from God. Observe them carefully, they will give you the structure in your life and teach you how to live. But, we know the rest of the story, how many of them and us have now went away from God's Law. Are we living under the Law God or rules we have chosen to fit into our lives. Lent is a great time to re-boot, and focus on these 10 Laws to follow, they are not complicated to have a lot of conditions, they are simply 10 Laws given to us by our one and only God to follow in our lives. These Laws will transform our entire lives, even if we focus on the first two they will shape how we follow the remaining 8. Do you think this is done by accident, nothing God does is by accident, but for the betterment of each of us. Do we see a bunch of conditions to these 10 Laws? Is there a sub-law for each law or is there just 10 specific Laws to follow. There are many other people who say that, those Catholics have so many "MAN MADE RULES" they need to follow, but that statement could not be any further from the truth. The world and those who live via the worlds rules have so many to follow and a lot of conditions for each one them. The Catholic Faith has 10 laws given to each us by God through Moses, they are straight forward, clear and concise. If we follow the first 2 the other 8 will just fall into place. Secondly, today's readings asks us to teach our children and their children, (our grand children), God's Laws. This Lent, is a perfect time to repent look at the way we are living and treating others. What laws are we following in our own lives, do we need help. God is nearby for each of us. Continue to enjoy your lenten journey and remain close to God's Laws this year, your life will be transformed and full of purpose. Dear Jesus, please hear the prayers of our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, we pray Amen.

david
March 10, 2021 at 06:16 PM

Thank you, Tim. I always enjoy your message.

March 10, 2021 at 08:51 AM

"today's readings asks us to teach our children and their children, (our grand children), God's Laws." SO very true, Tim! Sharing these videos: Official Divided the Movie https://youtu.be/k_XHxJm0CIc and Voddie Baucham on Youth Ministry https://youtu.be/ZddfeDuOLrU ***TO ALL FATHERS, YOU HAVE TO WATCH THESE VIDEOS!!!

March 10, 2021 at 08:20 AM

March 10, 2021 at 08:17 AM

Yes, Jesus "came to save us from sin and offer us a path to everlasting life." Thank you, Paul, for this reminder!!! Indeed, only God can save us from the power of sin and death!!! *** 1 John 2:1-2, "My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world!" *** 1 John 2:3-6, "We know that we have come to know Him (Jesus) if we keep His commands. Whoever says, “I know Him,” but does not do what He commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. But if anyone obeys His Word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in Him: Whoever claims to live in Him must live as Jesus did!" *** 1 John 2:7-8, "Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard (not to abolish it.) Yet I am writing you a new command (but to fulfill it;) its truth is seen in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining!" ******* John 6:63c, 68c, "Your Words, Lord, are Spirit and life; you have the Words of everlasting life!" Amen!!!