Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
March 9, 2021
St. Frances of Rome
I’m Not in Control
Good and upright is the LORD;
thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice,
he teaches the humble his way.
Psalm 25:8-9

About a year ago, life began to change. My son at college came home for spring break as word of this new-to-us virus circulated. Break was extended. “You’ll go back after Easter,” we confidently predicted. He didn’t, of course. No one did. No one went anywhere for months. That was just one small part of it. Each one of us could probably fill a book with how this has impacted us, directly and indirectly.

I don’t know about you, but the great lesson of this time for me is echoed by the psalmist: humility. No, I’m not in control. No, I can’t predict what will happen next. Any confidence, any hope can’t come out of my own power, but from what didn’t and never will change: God, present, guiding and teaching, showing me the way.

God of wisdom and strength, I stand humbly before you, open to your wisdom, ready for your grace.

- Amy Welborn

Daniel 3:25, 34-43 • Psalm 25:4-9 Matthew 18:21-35

Comments

March 9, 2021 at 03:33 PM

Amy, thank you for your devotion. * Thank you Amy for reminding me that "I’m Not in Control". By faith, I must face the harsh realities of my life, repent of my sins, and continue to commit myself to follow the Lord with my whole hear. I would avoid so much worry and anxiety by realizing and remembering that "I’m Not in Control". * All that we have and everything we have is received as a gift and all that we are comes from God, we don’t belong to ourselves, we belong to God and He is in control. We are meant, with all of our gifts, to serve God’s purposes. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

March 9, 2021 at 09:20 AM

The title of today's devotion, "I'm not in control!" reminds me of my Instagram account screen name, "Who is in control - really not me" It is to remind me of Who really is in control :-) ***Let's look at the first reading and see Who really is on control. 1) Azariah was one of the 3 friends of Daniel exiled into Babylon under king Nebuchadnezzar. Azariah means 'the LORD has helped.' His name was changed to Abednego meaning 'servant of Nego/Nebo.' 2) Their answer to king Nebuchadnezzar before they were thrown into the fiery furnace in Daniel 3:16-18, "Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered King Nebuchadnezzar, “There is no need for us to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If our God, Whom we serve, can save us from the white-hot furnace and from your hands, O king, may He save us! But even if He will not, you should know, O king, that we will not serve your god or worship the golden statue which you set up.” 3) What happened to them? Daniel 3:94-95, "When the satraps, prefects, governors, and counselors of the king came together, they saw that the fire had had no power over the bodies of these men; not a hair of their heads had been singed, nor were their garments altered; there was not even a smell of fire about them. Nebuchadnezzar exclaimed, “Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, Who sent His angel to deliver the servants that trusted in Him; they disobeyed the royal command and yielded their bodies rather than serve or worship any god except their own God!" ***What does humility look like to me? 1) Joel 2:12-13, "“Even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and He relents from sending calamity." 2) Matthew 18:35, "So will My heavenly Father do to you, unless each of you forgives your brother from your heart." 3) Psalm 25:4-5, "Show me Your ways, Lord, teach me Your paths. Guide me in Your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." ***Amen!!! The Broken Beautiful by Ellie Holcomb https://youtu.be/e5CpH5iBXZc

March 9, 2021 at 08:55 AM

Greetings Living Faith Family! I hope you are all having a fruitful Lent. Your Living Faith editorial team would like you to know about this opportunity: We'd love to invite you to become a Living Faith Ambassador. Learn how at https://livingfaith.com/ambassador We will send you free copies for you to share! Help others discover the daily inspiration of Living Faith! Have a blessed day!

March 9, 2021 at 12:25 PM

March 9, 2021 at 08:35 AM

March 9, 2021 at 08:32 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen

Maggi
March 9, 2021 at 01:18 PM

I wonder why God must come now. Times of strife and hardships are always present or on the way. I pray for the strength and grace to embrace whatever comes and move forward and hopefully with growth.

Angela Harrigan Respond to comment
March 9, 2021 at 08:30 AM

Anen!!!

March 9, 2021 at 08:08 AM

March 9, 2021 at 07:59 AM

Amen. Prayers for all!

March 9, 2021 at 07:44 AM

What is humility? It is truth! The truth: I am a sinner! The truth: God is in love with me even though I am a sinner! To be humble is to be truthful and the truth will always lead us to God just like devotion to His Mother will always lead us to Her Son! Everything is a gift, everything is a gift from God! What a beautiful life we have especially if it is lived for Him! Let us live this day in great gratitude to the Lord for all of his gifts and blessings that we receive every single day of our lives!

Tillie
March 9, 2021 at 03:36 PM

Amen Jo, wonderfully said.

Patti
March 9, 2021 at 09:36 AM

Beautiful words to begin this day. I thank you for sharing .

Pam
March 9, 2021 at 08:41 AM

Jo! How sweetly and simply stated. To Jesus through Mary - with humble and contrite hearts! Thank you for sharing His love you know, with us.

March 9, 2021 at 07:38 AM

Amen. God Bless the Living Faith Family.

March 9, 2021 at 06:15 AM

Thank you very much, Amy, for your much needed reminder about humility! God bless you!