Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
March 8, 2021
St. John of God
Truth-Telling
There were many widows in Israel… It was to none of these that Elijah was sent, but only to a widow in Zarephath in the land of Sidon. Again, there were many lepers in Israel during the time of Elisha the prophet; yet not one of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.
Luke 4:25-27

A prophet, or a spokesperson for God, is sometimes tasked to relate a hard truth. In his first act of public ministry, Jesus tells the people something they don’t want to hear: God may favor a member of another tribe over them—that where humans draw a line between “us” and “them,” God sees no barrier—maybe he even favors the outcast. It’s a lesson throughout Jesus’ ministry: spending time with women, tax collectors, Roman soldiers and those deemed unclean for one reason or another. Jesus condemns the status quo. The crowd cannot dispute what Jesus says—they become enraged and want to eliminate the truth-teller. Again and again in Scripture and human history, telling people hard truths is not appreciated. In fact, it can get you killed.

- Phil Fox Rose

2 Kings 5:1-15ab • Psalms 42:2-3; 43:3-4 Luke 4:24-30

Comments

March 8, 2021 at 02:59 PM

Phil, thank you for your "Truth-Telling", Thought-Provoking devotion. * "Jesus condemns the status quo". we live in a world gone wrong, a world turned upside down where killing, murder and crime is on the rise, it's all around my neighborhood, I used to feel safe now I'm afraid. Non believers and non followers of Christ become angry, furious and " want to eliminate the truth-teller". When someone comes speaking the "cold, hard truth", they are thought of as crazy and dangerous. " Again and again in Scripture and human history, telling people hard truths is not appreciated. In fact, it can get you killed." * I do fear telling, speaking the "cold hard truth" publicly, but I pray to Jesus to give me the strength and courage to do so when the opportunity comes along. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

March 8, 2021 at 12:03 PM

March 8, 2021 at 09:50 AM

The first reading in 1 Kings 17 reads like a TV show :-) An army commander (a leper), king Aram, a little jewish slave girl, king of Israel, the prophet Elisha and Naaman's servants! ***This is what stood out ot me in 1 King 17:1, "Naaman, the army commander of the king of Aram, was highly esteemed and respected by his master, for through him the LORD had brought victory to Aram. But valiant as he was, the man was a leper." ***Through Naaman, the LORD had brought victory to Aram!!! ***The truth is my God and Lord is in control of everything and everyone. God is sovereign, nothing and no one can change His mind, His plan and His purpose!!! *******Romans 9:15-16, "For He (God) says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy." Amen, I say Amen!!!

Lucy
March 8, 2021 at 11:05 AM

Amen to that. I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for sharing. God bless you.

March 8, 2021 at 09:12 AM

March 8, 2021 at 08:57 AM

“God’s ways are not always our ways”. I know sometimes when we come and pray to Jesus we ask with our hearts, but sometimes Jesus answers or waits to answer our prayers in ways that may not turn out the way we had hoped. This is where it takes a great amount of faith in knowing that Jesus’s ways are the best ways, although it may not feel like this right now, in the long run, it is the best way. Remember what Jesus says in one of his stories to us, describing the love that the Father has for his son. Would he give him a serpent when he ask for a fish or simply something terrible, no. So too we must have total faith, if it were easy then it would probably not be called faith. How many times do we find in our own lives, that the people closest to us, do not see or have the confidence in us to actually see that we can accomplish goodness in our lives. This is what Jesus is saying about the his home town people, that they can only see who Jesus was, when he was growing up, not who he became and accomplished years later. Let us see the bigger picture that God has planned for our lives. Use this Lenten Journey of ours and spend time with the Lord, accomplishing the change in us and the world around us by our actions. We pray today for all of the Living Faith Family prayers, for those who have no one to pray for them and for the souls in Purgatory, that they all may see the face of Christ today. Today do we see the face of Christ in others, if not we might not be in the place that God has planned for us. Draw closer in prayer and hear his plan for our lives. Amen

March 8, 2021 at 01:07 PM

As always I enjoy your reflections. I love Og Mandingos work and have read all 9 of them. I also want to reccomend to the living faith family Joseph Girzone "Joshua " and Hannah Hurnard " Hines feet in high places " they both write series. Living faith family please pray for the essential workers and their families and the souls who have no one to pray for them and the souls in purgatory Ken

March 8, 2021 at 08:49 AM

We are now in times of hard truth, yet once again we seem to ignore hard truth and seek spiritual comfort instead. The hard truth has a way of making the itself known to us, no matter what we as individuals do to cover it up. In my humbled opinion people love to talk about peace and light, so as to feel good not realizing that it is in perseverance with hard truth in the times when we do not see there benefit, that true peace and the light of God is found. Peace be with you all!

March 8, 2021 at 08:47 AM

Well said, Phil. Thank you for this reflection.

March 8, 2021 at 08:10 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for today's Gospel. Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord Jesus Christ have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen. Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen