Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
February 28, 2021
Second Sunday of Lent
A Holy Vision
Then a cloud came, casting a shadow over them; then from the cloud came a voice, “This is my beloved Son. Listen to him.”
Mark 9:7

In the Transfiguration, Christ’s clothes become dazzling white, and he speaks with Moses and Elijah. He communicates with prophets untethered from space and time as though he were revealing his coming so they could go back in time and proclaim it.

And if the apostles had any further question of Christ’s divinity after this display, the voice of God announces, “This is my Son.” The apostles want to erect a shrine and maintain the sense of awe they experienced on the mountain, but as with so many holy visions, the Transfiguration lasts only moments.

In the aftermath, there is Jesus, only Jesus—and the command to listen to him.

- Elizabeth Duffy

Genesis 22:1-2, 9a-13, 15-18 • Psalm 116:10, 15-19 Romans 8:31b-34 • Mark 9:2-10

Comments

Douglas Nentwig Respond to comment
February 28, 2021 at 09:04 PM

I think verse 10 of today's psalm (116) portrays the saints' situations most of the time. That's why they are saints!!!!!

February 28, 2021 at 11:57 AM

February 28, 2021 at 11:51 AM

I don't think I have ever said, "This is a must read (except God's Word) or watch!" So here is my first time, "You have to (MUST) take the tme to watch this video! I have never been in this much awe about a 12 year old. So take the time, watch it, watch it again if you have to, enjoy and learn from the wisdom and advise of Nahoa Life who has such a discerning, curious and God focus mind!!!" God has given me a heart for the next generation, the next generation and the next generation! I continue to love, to grieve, to pray and to care for the next generation, the next generation and the next generation!!! ***Conversation with a 12-year-old (Nahoa Life) about music, apologetics and his generation by Sean McDowell https://youtu.be/tC-bZUUiIAI

February 28, 2021 at 11:12 AM

The scene in Mark 9:7 should look familiar to Peter, James and John because they have seen it at the Baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist 3 years earlier in Matthew 3:16-17, Mark 1:10, Luke 3:21-22 and John 1:32!!! ***Why did Peter want to make three tents for them? Here is what Scripture said in Mark 9:6, "He (Peter) hardly knew what to say, (because) they were so terrified." Have you ever been in a situation where you were so shock and didn't know what to say and you ended up saying something completely out of context or stupid? I have :-( ***So what is faith? Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see!" ***Let's look at the faith journeys of Abraham and Peter...1) Abraham - Genesis 12:1-4 where God established His covenant with Abraham before Abraham took any step of faith. A) His first step of faith was to leave and go where God would show him. B) Abram then left where God told him to go for Egypt becasue there was a famine in the land and he lied not once abut twice making a mess for the families of Pharaoh and Abimelech. C) Abram and Sarai took matter into their own hands when they didn't see God's promise of a son coming true for them and they created a mess with Hagar resulting in Ishmael (Arabs and Muslims). 2) Peter - Matthew 4:19, "Come, follow Me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” A) His first step of faith in Matthew 4:20, "At once they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus). B) Peter failed to continue his faith walk on water in Mattew 14:29, didn't understand the parable in Matthew 15:15, didn't want Jesus to wash his feet and fell asleep at the garden of Gethsemanie C) He denied Jesus 3 times after Jesus was crucified. ***Why am I recounting the failures of these great faith people: Abraham and Peter? 1) Faith does not depend on me, but on God alone! Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight!" 2) How can faith be increased? * Read the Word - Romans 10:17, "Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the Word about Christ. * Heed the Word - James 1:22, "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says!" * Test the Word - James 1:2-4, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything!" 3) My conclusion - my mistakes are the stepping stones to my faith journey. God is faithful not because of my faith but inspite of my (unfaithful) faith. God is the source, supplier and sustainer of my faith! So I thank God for the mistakes I made, is making and will make because He uses all of my mistakes to grow my faith in Him and Him alone. I will not waste any of my mistakes learning: to love, to trust and to follow Jesus! *** Whom Shall I Fear by Chris Tomlin https://youtu.be/qOkImV2cJDg You Never Let Go by Matt Redman https://youtu.be/NM14VZVu0og Give Me Faith by Elevation Worship Amen! Amen! Amen!

February 28, 2021 at 10:31 AM

Amen. Thank you for this powerful devotion. I see the Transfiguration in many different ways now, even more beautifully than before.

February 28, 2021 at 09:45 AM

Living Faith family Here is some background Remember that when we pray this novena to our Lady of Perpetual Help, that we are not choosing to worship her over her Divine Son. She is "our Mother on the order of grace,” according to a Vatican II document, and all the graces Mary gives us come directly from our Lord. She is always ready to intercede with Him on our behalf, but never for anything contrary to His wishes. As long as we approach her as we do Him, with sincerely humble and contrite hearts, we can count on her aid and guidance. Mary’s last spoken words in the Gospels concerned her Son when she said at the wedding feast at Cana “Do whatever he tells You” (John 2:5). If we persevere in our intentions to do Christ’s will for us, we are doing hers as well. The Novena Oh Mother of Perpetual Help, grant that I may ever invoke your powerful name, the protection of the living and the salvation of the dying. Purest Mary, let your name henceforth be ever on my lips. Delay not, Blessed Lady, to rescue me whenever I call on you. In my temptations, in my needs, I will never cease to call on you, ever repeating your sacred name, Mary, Mary. What a consolation, what sweetness, what confidence fills my soul when I utter your sacred name or even only think of you! I thank the Lord for having given you so sweet, so powerful, so lovely a name. But I will not be content with merely uttering your name. Let my love for you prompt me ever to hail you Mother of Perpetual Help. Mother of Perpetual Help, pray for me and grant me the favor I confidently ask of you. (Then say three Hail Marys). I am still not a robot Ken

Pam
February 28, 2021 at 11:10 AM

God Bless you Ken, and ALL who you love! Our Lady of Perpetual Help is the name of one of the 2 Churches we go to. What a blessing your Grandson has to be guided by your love and faith.

Katj
February 28, 2021 at 10:37 AM

Thank you Ken. I need our Mothers help with something and I will use this Novena. A blessed day to all on this last day of February!

February 28, 2021 at 08:48 AM

Respond in faith. This pretty much sums up Abraham’s relationship with God. It is because of Abraham’s great faith that God made his covenant with Abraham to eventually create us, one of his numerous descendants as countless as the stars in the sky. Where is your faith, do we respond to God with total unquestioned faith, or do we want to see how things will work out. Jesus is the one and only son of God, who God has given to each of us so that we may put our total faith in Jesus and follow him. The mountain is enormous that they climb that day. It took several days 6 to 8 according to scriptures, to reach the top, but God wanted to expose Peter, James and John to the message. God message that day is for all of us as well, “LISTEN TO HIM.” God asks all of us this Lent to be “Transfigured” into a new person, one who will leave sin and temptation behind. One, that will only look forward to all of the opportunities to help others with the time we have left on this earth. Let us all make this place here in our lives today a better place than when we arrived. A place where others needs come before ourselves and a place where we all can gather in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and share in his Holy Word. I place that will make God look and say it is good. A place where there will be no more hate, sorrow or loneliness, only much joy and happiness. It is all possible, we just need to respond in total faith. Dear Jesus, please hear the prayers of this Living Faith Family, for those who do not have anyone to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory that today they may see your face in your Kingdom. Amen.

February 28, 2021 at 08:25 AM

Amen...

February 28, 2021 at 07:29 AM

I love this interpretation of the Transfiguration. Holy visions are a gift given to a few. Not many of us receive this gift, but we all have Jesus, our Lord and Savior! He is by far the greatest gift.

February 28, 2021 at 06:23 AM

Thank you, Elizabeth, for your meaningful reflection on the Transfiguration! God bless you!

February 28, 2021 at 09:25 AM

Marge Azmom Tim good morning. Last night we watched Fatima on Netflix what a great experience. Starting a new novena this morning I will share. Please pray for the essential workers and their families and the living faith family and the souls in purgatory. Going to help my oldest grandson with his relationship with the church. This year is his first reconciliation. Ken