Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
February 27, 2021
Lenten Weekday
The Common Good
Blessed are they who follow the law of the Lord!
Psalm 119:1 (responsorial)

Like it or not, we need regulations to protect the common good. But what about rules you believe are arbitrary? Have you ever thought about breaking any? That thought has crossed my mind a time or two! When it’s tempting to rebel, think about this truth: Along with rights, we have responsibilities to one another.

Consider how the recent pandemic, brought on by the invisible coronavirus, impacted us. Stay-at-home orders, along with social distancing and face mask guidelines were mandated—not to punish us, but to protect us. Let’s face it—no one really likes being told what to do or when to do it. What makes sense to me may not make sense to you. And that’s okay. We are responsible for one another regardless of our views. While we may not always be of one mind, God’s law of love calls us to be of one heart.

- Gail Goleas

Deuteronomy 26:16-19 • Psalm 119:1-2, 4-5, 7-8 Matthew 5:43-48

Comments

February 27, 2021 at 05:03 PM

I am burdened by the fact that I am easily distracted by what I can do, what I should do and what I am commended to do that I forget to let God do whatever He wants in, with and through me :-( ***What prompted me to realize the above statement? The first reading in Deuteronomy reminds me of the *1)old covenant in the old testament: a two way contract - if I do something and God does something. Whereas the *2)new covenant in the new testament: a one-way contract - God has done and completed everything and I just need to choose and sign on the dotted line. ***I am perfect because my heavenly Father is perfect. It is not that I have done anything to be perfect (the truth is on this side of heaven I will never be perfect on my own strength and work) but what Jesus has offered me when He died on the cross and was raised from the dead 3 days later! All I had to do was to sign on the dotted line (so I can die to myself daily and let Him rise in me by the power of the Holy Spirit :-) ***That brings me to the topic of "Knowing Jesus Vs knowing about Jesus" in https://www.gotquestions.org/knowing-Jesus.html, "It can be easy to substitute religion for a real relationship with Jesus. We often think that, if we are doing “Christian things,” that’s all that counts. We can appreciate the facts of Jesus’ death and resurrection, but until we have made Him our Lord, the facts do us no good (John 3:16–18; Acts 10:43; Romans 10:9). There is a difference between intellectual assent and saving faith. Knowing Jesus means we have accepted His sacrifice on our behalf (2 Corinthians 5:21). We ask Him to be the Lord of our lives (John 1:12; Acts 2:21). We identify with Him in His death and consider our old selves to have died with Him (Colossians 3:3; Romans 6:2, 5; Galatians 6:14; 2:20). We accept His forgiveness and cleansing from sin and seek to know Him in intimate fellowship through His Holy Spirit (John 17:3; Philippians 3:10; 1 John 2:27)." *https://youtu.be/N7cjaGZMl_s Go ahead and sign on the dotted line.......Amen!!!

February 27, 2021 at 05:55 PM

I Just Need U by TobyMac https://youtu.be/4wNpOeakhEM

February 27, 2021 at 05:51 PM

Help Is On Its Way (Maybe Midnight) by Toby Mac https://youtu.be/aVgetIvEIAs

February 27, 2021 at 03:07 PM

Gail, thank you for your devotion. * "The Lord promises to “raise you high in praise and renown and glory above all other nations” (Dt 26:19). All you have to do is “be a people peculiarly His own” (Dt 26:18). In other words, you must belong and relate to the Lord not like other people but in a special way. You belong to Him not just because you were created by Him but because you are committed to Him. You are perfected as He is perfect (Mt 5:48), and holy as He is holy (1 Pt 1:16). You have the same relation to the world as He does (1 Jn 4:17)." "Loving enemies is the most unmistakable indication of being “a people peculiarly His own.” Our Lord commands us to love our enemies. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

February 27, 2021 at 01:30 PM

February 27, 2021 at 11:37 AM

Thank you for a wonderful insight Gail.

February 27, 2021 at 08:55 AM

Thank you, Gail, for your devotion today.

February 27, 2021 at 08:40 AM

God’s commandments. Moses reminds us today, that God wants us to live our lives according to his laws and commandments he set forth for us. Our reward is the promise that our God will raise you up high in praise and we will be his people. I do not know about you, but I want to be one of God’s people for sure. Dear Jesus help me this lent to look within myself and work hard to remove sin from my life. I know that sin might creep back into my life, but help me recognize it and work hard on the temptations in my life. Help me love my enemies and love others as God wants us to love. Praying for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory that they be reunited with Christ today in Heaven. We pray, Amen.

February 27, 2021 at 08:24 AM

In my humbled opinion, without breaking arbitrary rules that no longer serve the common good there would be no innovation or progress in society. Decrement is key in the following of "man's law's" and the benchmark is Gods constant love of and for all. The Church itself would not have survived without breaking arbitrary laws that no longer served the best interest of the common good at the time, just a fact. Peace be with you all!

Donna aka: ‘Chomper the First’
February 27, 2021 at 01:59 PM

I agree Daniel. It is the motive of the laws that people question. Man made laws are often in opposition of God’s Law which is why we have to live actively in the Holy Spirit in order to discern whose las we are following.

February 27, 2021 at 08:08 AM

Thank you, Gail, for your much needed reflection today! God bless!

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
February 27, 2021 at 06:31 AM

Thanks Gail for today's devotion. BECOMING WHO YOU ARE“You must therefore be perfect just as your heavenly Father is perfect." What does this perfection mean? Perfection is when we become who we are. Perfection, as St Paul says, is to grow to full maturity in Christ. Conversely, to fail in perfection is when we have not become who we are. When we fail to arrive at our destination, this is sin. God has created us to share in His image and likeness. When we sin, we do not reflect His image and likeness. But what does it mean to be perfected in love, mercy and forgiveness? Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

Elizabeth
February 27, 2021 at 09:02 AM

Thank you Peter. Perfect is translated as Mercy in the Bible. Mercy, God wants us to be Merciful, like Him. Mercy is Love and Respect and Truth together, we are all humans and know so very little, only that we are here to Love, Serve and Know God. Let's neither add nor detract to God's Word on this site.