Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
February 24, 2021
Lenten Weekday
The Mercy
Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Psalm 51:3

There are seven penitential psalms that when sung or spoken can give us much spiritual help to express our repentance. These seven unique psalms are highly recommended to be prayed during Lent. The fourth and most famous, called “The Miserere,” was written by King David when he cried out to God begging for forgiveness after he had committed murder and adultery. Whatever our sins may be, we can discover in these ancient expressions of sorrow a divine forgiveness and healing consolation. Our sins may be few or many. Yet, like King David, we can offer our sincere prayer to our God of goodness, whose great compassion can wipe out any offense.

This Lent, the pleading prayer “Lord, have mercy” is the prelude to a eucharistic liturgy and can lead us to conversion and a better life.

- Fr. James McKarns

Jonah 3:1-10 • Psalm 51:3-4, 12-13, 18-19 Luke 11:29-32

Comments

February 24, 2021 at 12:47 PM

Amen. Thank you. Prayer request for my birthday today. God bless and thank and protect all here. xoxo

Tillie
February 24, 2021 at 08:41 PM

Elizabeth, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! I Have said a prayer for your birthday, I asked Jesus that you have had a wonderful day full of joy, happiness and love. May you continue to have a joyous birthday.

Kenneth J Caiola
February 24, 2021 at 06:44 PM

Elizabeth Happy birthday, I am praying for you right now. also here is the prayer of St. Michael we say at Mass in the mornings Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Divine Power of God, cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls. Ken

Pam
February 24, 2021 at 05:56 PM

Elizabeth! Sending you birthday prayers and wishing you all of God’s very best blessings! Happy Birthday!

February 24, 2021 at 10:26 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly host. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen

February 24, 2021 at 10:07 AM

Amen. Whenever I start feeling so overwhelmed by regrets and sorrow over my sins I try to recall Jesus telling St. Faustina “the greater the sinner, the greater his right to God’s mercy”. Thank you God. Have mercy on us. Prayers for all.

February 24, 2021 at 09:51 AM

February 24, 2021 at 08:41 AM

Jonah 3:10, "When God saw by their actions how they turned from their evil way, He repented of the evil that He had threatened to do to them; He did not carry it out!" ***Did God repent and change His mind? These are some serious words "repented of the evil" to desscribe God? What does it mean? ***Numbers 23:19, "God is not human, that He should lie, not a human being, that He should change His mind. Does He speak and then not act? Does He promise and not fulfill?" Hebrews 13:8, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever!" James 1:17, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, Who does not change like shifting shadows!" ***https://www.gotquestions.org/God-change-mind.html "The bottom line is that God is entirely consistent. In His holiness, God was going to judge Nineveh. However, Nineveh repented and changed its ways. As a result, God, in His holiness, had mercy on Nineveh and spared them. This “change of mind” is entirely consistent with His character. His holiness did not waver one iota." ***Luke 11:32b, "there is something greater than Jonah here!" Yes, Jesus is speaking of Himself :-) ***My praise and prayer: Glorious Day by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/VXp6xcY5IqU "Have mercy on me, O God, in Your goodness; in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense. Thoroughly wash me from my guilt and of my sin cleanse me. A clean heart create for me, O God, and a steadfast spirit renew within me. Cast me not out from Your presence, and Your Holy Spirit take not from me. A heart contrite and humbled, O God, You will not spurn." Amen!!! (Psalm 51:3-4, 12-13)

February 24, 2021 at 08:11 AM

February 24, 2021 at 07:21 AM

Repent the time is now says the Lord. As in the days of Noah, this generation today needs much repentance shown towards our Lord and we need to believe. Now is the time, tomorrow is too late. Today’s readings are reminding over and over again that we should use the time we have now to Repent and Believe. What better time than this Lent to achieve this goal for our lives. We are all sinners and Jesus wants all of us to come to him and turn away from sin and repent. Make a new and share the Gospel, the word of the Lord with others. Dear Jesus please hear our prayers of our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, may they see the face of Jesus in his Heavenly Kingdom, we pray, Amen.

February 24, 2021 at 05:43 AM

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
February 24, 2021 at 05:19 AM

Thànks Fr. James for today's devotion. The goodness of God and his all-embracing love for humanity who are all his creatures is beyond what we human beings can imagine. His only criterion is that we repent of our evil deeds and believe in him. Today’s scripture readings underscore that God wants all to be saved. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

david
February 24, 2021 at 09:14 PM

Each and everyone of us are God's children. And he want's all his children to be saved and repent and to have a contrite heart.

Carol