Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
February 23, 2021
St. Polycarp
Mending a Broken Heart
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted,
and those who are crushed in spirit he saves.
Psalm 34:19

To let love in, we must be prepared to get our hearts broken. When we choose to love, we have signed up for the whole package; we have chosen the cross. We must carry that cross with every breath we take, knowing fully that the Lord is not just by our side, but also bearing the weight on our behalf. The Lord is never far away from those who need him the most.

When people we love die and we are devastated, the Lord will sit by our side and cry with us. When we lose everything we have worked for, the Lord will provide exactly what we need. When sickness steals time from us, and we feel hopeless and lonely, the Lord will be our companion and give us strength. The Lord is drawn to us when our hearts are broken because we are closest to his heart.

- Vivian Amu

Isaiah 55:10-11 • Psalm 34:4-7, 16-19 Matthew 6:7-15

Comments

February 23, 2021 at 05:55 PM

Vivian thank you for your beautiful devotion. * "Mending a Broken Heart". Thank you for being near us during our time of suffering, Lord. Without You, it would be more than we could bear. Your comforting presence calms and strengthens us. Lord You have a marvelous way of transforming tragedies into triumph so we can tell others the wonderous things You do. Thank you for loving us through all our sufferings and broken heartedness and not turning Your face from us when we don't handle things the best way. Even though we grieve, we feel Your mercy and Love. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

david
February 23, 2021 at 11:44 PM

Amen

February 23, 2021 at 03:01 PM

Hi Salina, I am wondering what is meant in the our father prayer, as follows: "and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." I know God would never guide us to temptation but I wonder what the words mean?

david
February 23, 2021 at 11:42 PM

Thank you, Salina. I really appreciate it.

February 23, 2021 at 05:26 PM

Excellent question, David! Since English is not my first language, so I go by what I know and learned which is "lead" may mean "let." So take it from someone who is still learning the language :-) I see "and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil" as "Don't let me fall into temptation, and if I do, please rescue me from the evil ones!" * My first thought when I read your question was, "What was it like when Jesus went into the desert for 40 days, tempted by satan? Why was Jesus tempted? What is the lesson for me?" * And whenever I have question, I go to https://www.gotquestions.org/lead-us-not-into-temptation.html which lead (let) me to find out more about Jesus' temptation in the desert https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-temptations.html * Enjoy the reading and share with us what other lessons you may discover and you will when you ask the holy Spirit :-) Just one funny story when my girls were toddlers, I would teach them to say "good bye" to all the toys (temptations) they came across (were led) in the toy aisles, so we didn't have to buy them :-) That ended when they realized what I was trying to do :-( ***Matthew 6:13, "And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one." (NLT) "Do not bring us to hard testing, but keep us safe from the Evil One." (GNT) "And do not bring us to the time of trial, but rescue us from the evil one.." (NRSVCE)

February 23, 2021 at 11:33 AM

Elise Read your comments yesterday to late to respond. You're one of the rock's in our lives, Of the living faith family Working nine hours a day you are also one of the essential workers we pray for. Living faith family please pray for my friend Louis and his grandson and the souls in purgatory and the people who have no one to pray for them. Snow is beautiful here watching it fall gently and it slows down by my window so I can make out some patterns. The Lord sent this to me I am so grateful. Ken

February 23, 2021 at 11:31 AM

Dear Kjc, thank you for your story! It made me smile for the first time today!

February 23, 2021 at 09:55 AM

Amen! Thank you.

February 23, 2021 at 09:41 AM

Amen. Beautiful devotion.

February 23, 2021 at 08:39 AM

Listen to God's word. Bring it to our minds, hearts and pray over the words of God. Reading and accepting the word of God in our hearts is like giving seed to the one that sows. Gods word within us will grow and will go forth from us to others, this is God's plan for us. Listen, Pray and Act, keep God's word in our hearts. There is a special gift in today's Gospel, do we all see it? The gift is prayer to God. Like the disciples we ask Jesus, to teach us how to pray and he does it masterfully and simply. First who are we praying to "Our Father In Heaven". What do we want to accomplish in our prayer to our Father, "His Kingdom Come" into our lives. Then what do we achieve, "His will be done". Lastly what does our Father want us to achieve, "Forgive Others Who Have Sin Against Us" as "We Our Father Forgives Us". Then Our Father being a great Father, tells us what will happen if we do not forgive others. This great gift given to us daily is the seed to be sown for the Father. This Lent remember prayer growth in our own lives, would be an amazing accomplishment to achieve. It will transform you, put God first in all you do and he will accomplish great things in your life. Dear Jesus, please hear our prayers today for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they may see the face of God today in Heaven. Amen.

February 23, 2021 at 08:29 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen

February 23, 2021 at 08:23 AM

The joy, the comfort, the peace, the wisdom, the guidance, the power and the confidence of Your Word bring to me Your presence, Your love and Your faithfulness, Lord Jesus!!! Thank You :-) ***Isaiah 55:11...So shall Your Word be that goes forth from Your mouth; It shall not return to You void, but shall do Your will, achieving the end for which You sent it! ***Matthew 6:15...If I forgive men their transgressions, my heavenly Father will forgive me. But if I do not forgive men, neither will my Father forgive my transgressions! ***Matthew 4:4b...I do not live on bread alone, but on every Word that comes forth from the mouth of God! *******My prayer: Glorify the LORD with me, let us together extol His name. I sought the LORD, and He answered me and delivered me from all my fears...The LORD is close to the brokenhearted; and those who are crushed in spirit He saves...Look to Him that I may be radiant with joy, and my face may not blush with shame...From all my distress God rescues me :-) Amen! (Psalm 34) ***Way Maker by Leeland https://youtu.be/EXQGTInPpZU

February 23, 2021 at 08:10 AM

Very timely and helpful for our family as our grand dog must be put down today. Just as much a family member as any animal could be- the heartache is barely tolerable for all of us. I worry for my grandkids who may not realize yet how suffering can actually help us to appreciate the eventual good, and for my son who will actually carry out this mercy for the dog. Thank you for letting me share my grief with you.

Tillie
February 23, 2021 at 06:10 PM

Sandy, I relate to the grief your grandkids, son, you and the rest of the family are going through. I had to put two of my loving pest down several years ago, separate times. it was very painful and devastating. I pray that Jesus will be with all of you during your time of grieve and sorrow. God Bless you.

Pam
February 23, 2021 at 12:02 PM

Sandy, having to put a beloved pet to sleep, is truly a heartbreaking experience. They are absolutely part of the family unit. Our Christmas cards weren't complete unless it was also signed with our pet's name and paw print. They leave those in your heart too...forever.

February 23, 2021 at 11:20 AM

Sandy I feel for your grief. Reminds me of my youth when my first dog Bilbo was hit by a car and taken to the vet my mom called home got my dad as I was listening. Mom asked what to do. Dad not wanting to say put him down with me listening said " do what you think is right " knowing that we were a poor family he assumed she would put him down. Few hours later Bilbo was home with cast on his back legs. We lived together for 9 more years.

Tim
February 23, 2021 at 08:46 AM

Sandy, we too, are blessed to have two grand dogs in our lives. We are praying that you and your children will always remember how much joy they brought into your lives. We must remember that they too are God's creation and a gift to our lives. No more suffering is God gift to our Grand Dogs of this world, when there time here on earth has come to an end. Amen.

February 23, 2021 at 08:28 AM

My husband and I can relate...we have to transfer our family member, Pepper (a miniture schnauzer 14 years old), to heaven just right before Thanksgiving last year :-( Praying for your son and his family!!!

February 23, 2021 at 08:08 AM

February 23, 2021 at 07:00 AM

He will never leave us or forsake us. Amen!

February 23, 2021 at 05:49 AM

February 23, 2021 at 04:11 AM

Hello Vivian! Your reflections brighten my day. <3 How wonderful to get a double dose today by also reading your reflection from Creighton University. https://onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/022321.html

david
February 23, 2021 at 02:55 PM

Thank you for the Creighton's site.

February 23, 2021 at 12:26 PM

Thank you for the Creighton's site I now have added it to my home screen. Ken I am still not a robot

JC
February 23, 2021 at 11:17 AM

Thank you for directing us to another reading by her. That surely hit home with me today!!!! Blessings to all on another day of gratitude.