February 22, 2021
The Chair of St. Peter
The Rock
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church…
Matthew 16:18

One late Sunday afternoon, I was surprised to look out a window and see a stranger dropping off my teen son with his bike, a towel wrapped around his arm. Riding with friends, he’d had a fall, and the brother of one of the friends came and got him.

He stood in the bathroom and gingerly unwrapped the towel. I had peroxide and bandages ready, but I took one quick look at the gaping wound on his elbow and said, “This is too much for me. We’re going to the ER.” And I was right. The wound ended up being rather complex, and closing it required stitches. An orthopedist on call made sure no grit had gotten to the bone or tendon level. It was, indeed, too much for me.

So it is with faith and all of its mysteries. I am graced to be created in God’s image with the freedom to be in communion with the Lord. But I can’t answer all the questions. I can’t fix all the wounds. I’m just a small part of this Church built on the rock—and I need it.

St. Peter, pray for us.

- Amy Welborn

1 Peter 5:1-4 • Psalm 23:1-6 Matthew 16:13-19

Comments

February 23, 2021 at 12:05 AM

I like this part of your message: " I am graced to be created in God’s image with the freedom to be in communion with the Lord. "

February 22, 2021 at 11:26 AM

*Who do I think is the Head and the Cornerstone of the Church? Jesus Christ :-) *Who do I think is the Church? The body of Christ :-) *Who do I think I am? A member of the body of Christ :-) ***1 Peter 2:4, "As you come to Him (Jesus), the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to Him!" ***1 Peter 2:7-8, "Now to you who believe, this Stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, “The Stone the builders rejected has become the Cornerstone,” and, “A Stone that causes people to stumble and a Rock that makes them fall.” ***Acts 4:11-12, "Jesus is ‘the Stone you builders rejected, which has become the Cornerstone.’ Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved!” 1) "The Bible describes Jesus as the Cornerstone that His church would be built upon. He is foundational. Once the Cornerstone was set, it became the basis for determining every measurement in the remaining construction; everything was aligned to it. As the Cornerstone of the building of the Church, Jesus is our standard of measure and alignment." https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-Christ-cornerstone.html 2) Matthew 7:24-25, "Therefore everyone who hears these Words of Mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the Rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the Rock." 3) This gives me a picture when a church/temple/building not built upon the Cornerstone in Matthew 24:1-2, "Jesus left the temple and was walking away when His disciples came up to Him to call His attention to its buildings. “Do you see all these things?” He asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.” *** Image of God by We Are Messengers https://youtu.be/8yV0pu60Uqs Amen! Rocks upon rocks, made in image of the Cornerstone, the Church, the body of Christ :-)

February 22, 2021 at 10:23 AM

Throughout this covid year I have been distressed because I have not felt "rock foundation "from Pope Francis and church hierarchy. It seemed we have just followed along and been scattered. Reading this today brings many questions.

February 22, 2021 at 09:06 AM

February 22, 2021 at 08:37 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly host. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must e done right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen

February 22, 2021 at 08:23 AM

February 22, 2021 at 07:53 AM

Jesus knew that St. Peter had what it took, even though he denied Jesus 3 times. Jesus knows that we too will be faced as Peter was with the temptation to turn away and give into our own temptations. But again as Jesus knew Peter would be the ROCK, he too has called each of us to him the Lenten Season to Repent and share the Gospel message with others. Dear Jesus you who give me the courage and strength when I am down, please fill me today with your Love, Compassion and Mercy towards others. You are the Christ, let me be someone’s ROCK today. Dear Jesus, here our prayers for the Living Faith Family you have gather here, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the oils in Purgatory, that they too be reunited today in Heaven with our Christ. Amen

February 22, 2021 at 06:37 AM

Thank you Amy for your reflection today. To often I try to go it alone. When I am faced with a situation or concern I think to myself, "I should really talk to Father about this" Then I let time pass and get to busy. I work over nine hours a day and easily have an excuse to not call. I tend to think, "all I need is to pray about it" but I continually fall short in my prayer time also. I am very thankful to everyone here on this site. As I read the reflections offered here, I realize many of you are rocks of faith. If you google search how rocks are made, you will see several ways, one being from pieces of other existing rocks. So although I feel week and more like a grain of sand in my faith life now, I pray that my time spent with the daily readings and reflections here will form me into a rock. Thank you Living Faith Family for all you share and do. Have a Bless Day Everyone.

Linda
February 22, 2021 at 07:51 AM

Elise, I had moments of frustration yesterday after Family Dinner. On our way home I told my husband that sometimes we just have to let it go. God will take care of us and discern our family issues. I immediately felt so refreshed. The mantra is: "Let go and let God!" I love it. Peace!

February 22, 2021 at 05:30 AM

"Made in his image and likeness" is too much for me to rise to, but I will endure to the end.

Tim
February 22, 2021 at 07:46 AM

Elise, you are a part of the Living Faith family and remember this Lent that you too are our ROCK and encouragement for all of us as well. Continue to have a great Lenten Journey, we are all in this together. Amen

February 22, 2021 at 05:17 AM

You realize two different words were used for rock. One refers to Peter and the other is Jesus.

Rose
February 22, 2021 at 08:35 AM

Jesus Christ is indeed the Rock upon which the Church was built. None other.