February 21, 2021
First Sunday of Lent
Something New
The kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.
Mark 1:15

What if this was your last Lent? Each year, for some people it is their last Lenten season. I could be one and so could you.

It’s not meant to be a morbid thought. Rather, it ought to bring our life into sharper focus. Just this past Wednesday, we recalled just how fleeting this earthly journey is: “Remember you are dust, and to dust you shall return.” Today we hear words that accompanied our ashes: “Repent, and believe in the gospel.” It is the very core of Jesus’ mission.

After the Flood in Genesis, God enters a new covenant with Noah and all creation. God started something new. St. Peter’s letter recalls the new birth of Baptism; we are made clean through the suffering of Christ “that he might lead you to God” (verse 18). Through baptism, death and resurrection, God is making us new. Jesus is still proclaiming the kingdom of God—doing something new in us, this day, this season.

Will I let God do something new in me today?

- Steve Pable

Genesis 9:8-15 • Psalm 25:4-9 1 Peter 3:18-22 • Mark 1:12-15

Comments

February 21, 2021 at 04:22 PM

Is anyone else having problems with the "I'm not a robot". I had to try many, many times to post my response, I kept getting error message: "Reply Not Added. Captcha Verification Failed." I have contacted Admin. several times. Left messages. But I still have the same problem for about a month now. It is frustrating and irritating. Admin. Please Help resolve this issue.

Living Faith Team
February 22, 2021 at 10:36 AM

Tillie, We have sent you an email with a reply. Hope that will be helpful!

February 21, 2021 at 04:15 PM

Steve, thank you for your devotion. ** “This is the time of fulfillment. The reign of God is at hand! Reform your lives and believe in the gospel!” Jesus wants us to walk through the desert of Lent in His footsteps and His examples. As we fast and pray, our hardened hearts begin to change. We repent of sin and remove from our lives those things incompatible with our commitment to Jesus. We are new, fresh, fully alive. * In an upper room one night, not long before he would suffer and die on a cross, Jesus communicated His message of love by kneeling down in front of his disciples and washed their feet. The One who had come from heaven humbly washed away the earth’s dirt from between his followers’ toes. What an unusual expression of love! Jesus’ message of love is surprising, different and humble. Jesus’ love bends low. His love washes us clean. Jesus’ love searches and reaches out for us: and he loves us “to the end.” God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

kjc
February 21, 2021 at 05:44 PM

Tillie, I know the feeling when I am at work sometimes I have to find the crosswalk, traffic lights, buses, cars, etc. It is very frustrating. Try going slow maybe signing on with a different browser, chrome or edge. whatever I will say a prayer for you right now, St Joseph was known for his patience. Ken

February 21, 2021 at 01:26 PM

February 21, 2021 at 12:48 PM

Loved, "Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life." in Genesis 9:14-15! That's good news to me because I cannot swim :-( Come to think of it, I am ashamed to call myself Chinese because I can't even ride a bicycle (sorry for being racist)! ***1 Peter 3:18-22. "Christ suffered for sins once, (Why?) the righteous for the sake of the unrighteous, (So?) that He might lead you to God. (How?) Put to death in the flesh, He was brought to life in the Spirit. (Jesus' Death and Ressurection!) In it He also went to preach to the spirits in prison, who had once been disobedient while God patiently waited (120 years) in the days of Noah during the building of the ark, in which a few persons, eight in all, were saved through water. This prefigured baptism, which saves you now. (What is this prefigured baptism?) It is not a removal of dirt from the body (it is not the water baptism that saves) but an appeal to God for a clear conscience (but to believe in the Son of God: Jesus), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ (the Good News of once and for all sacrifice), Who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers subject to Him (interceeding for us :-)." *** Matthew 4:4b "One does not live on bread alone, but on every Word that comes forth from the mouth of God!" *** Mark 1:15, "“This is the time of fulfillment. The kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the Gospel.” Gospel is the Good News of Jesus Christ Who died for sinners once and for all! Amen!!!

February 21, 2021 at 11:51 AM

Amen. I pray for willingness without fear to do something new for our Lord when He calls to us.

February 21, 2021 at 11:25 AM

Nicely put, Steve. There is a tendency in this world to look at things as events and not necessarily as stories. Let alone part of a continuing stories ... as in Salvation, let alone, in Creation History. We will all be gone from this world at some time. Prayers that we let this Lent be different. Let it be the start. Let it be a call to action. Keep up the great works. Tony

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
February 21, 2021 at 10:52 AM

Thanks Steve for today's devotion. Repent and believe in the good news. For many Catholics, repentance is simply going for the Sacrament of confession to confess all their sins. We do not make any effort to give up our sinful way of life. We make use of the Sacrament of Confession to resolve our guilt. But this is not repentance. In the understanding of our Lord, the primary meaning of repentance is to believe in the Good News, which is the love and mercy of God. Jesus was not asking the people to turn away from sin but to turn towards the Good News. Of course, the turning to God and the Good News means at the same time, a turning away from sin. We cannot say we want to love God and hate our neighbors at the same time. This is the consequence of choosing God, truth and love. When we turn to the Good News, we are free from the old way of life. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

February 21, 2021 at 11:57 AM

Amen!!! https://www.gotquestions.org/repentance.html, * "Many understand the term repentance to mean “a turning from sin.” Regretting sin and turning from it is related to repentance, but it is not the precise meaning of the word." * "The full biblical definition of repentance is a change of mind that results in a change of action." * Acts 26:20b, "I (Paul) preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds."

February 21, 2021 at 08:28 AM

Temptation, New Covenant, Repent and Prayer. All of these words and subjects, sum up today’s First Sunday in Lents readings. In the beginning with Adam we know Satan was there with his temptation. The generation of Sodom and Gomorrah, Satan was there with temptation, out in the desert for 40 years on the way to the promise land, the temptation of Satan was there. Today, everywhere we turn Satan is there with his temptation into our lives, wanting to show each of us a better way. This lent it is so important to recognize Satan’s temptations, influences in our daily lives and the world. Stay the course for Jesus. Let’s be imitators of Christ, this Lent and focus on prayer, fasting and alms giving. The poor, the homeless, the lost, the ones who need friendship, someone to love them for the first time in their lives. All of these examples are found in our communities, right down the street where we live. Prayer is the best place to start, there we will find the strength, love, mercy, and compassion to overcome Satan and his temptations. Our focus will be turned away from Satan’s temptation and put towards something, someone more important in our lives. The more we pray, the more Satan want get in between us and Jesus. Once we move and act on our prayers, he knows he has lost that battle and leaves us, until the next time. This lent be on your guard, pray, fast and participate in alms giving. Your relationship with the Risen Christ will be enhanced and abundant. Dear Jesus, hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for the souls in Purgatory, Amen.

February 21, 2021 at 12:10 PM

Amen! So very true, Tim! Repentance is like being on a diet (not exactly, but...). If I don't replace (change of mind about what was wrong) my bad diet (satan's temptation) with a good diet (God's Word), I won't lose weight! If I don't have a permenant good diet (God's Word daily), the weight will come back because the bad diet will creep back in...As I have dedicated myself to this year of Repentance, 2021! It's action time for Salina with the guidance and power of the Holy Spirit :-)

February 21, 2021 at 07:37 AM

Thank you very much, Steve, for the reminder to let ourselves be open to the work of Our Lord through his awesome Holy Spirit! God bless you!

kjc
February 21, 2021 at 12:49 PM

Wow you guys are amazing!!! great day in western NY sun shining no new snow, Pam I am happy to hear you have power. Tim, Salina, Pam and Sham... I love your comments. Living Faith family I am finishing novena to Saint Philomena I will share. Saint Philomena We beseech Thee, O Lord, to grant us the pardon of our sins by the intercession of Saint Philomena, virgin and martyr, who was always pleasing in Thy sight by her eminent chastity and by the profession of every virtue. Amen. Illustrious virgin and martyr, Saint Philomena, behold me prostrate before the throne whereupon it has pleased the Most Holy Trinity to place thee. Full of confidence in thy protection, I entreat thee to intercede for me with God, from the heights of Heaven deign to cast a glance upon thy humble client! Spouse of Christ, sustain me in suffering, fortify me in temptation, protect me in the dangers surrounding me, obtain for me the graces necessary to me, and in particular (Here specify your request). Above all, assist me at the hour of my death. Saint Philomena, powerful with God, pray for us. Amen. O God, Most Holy Trinity, we thank Thee for the graces Thou didst bestow upon the Blessed Virgin Mary, and upon Thy handmaid Philomena, through whose intercession we implore Thy Mercy. Amen. Please pray for the souls in purgatory, essential workers and their families and all those people who have no one to pray for them. I will have time today to pray the scriptural rosary and will be thinking of you guys I am still NOT a robot Ken

EM
February 21, 2021 at 10:18 AM

Amen. Prayers for the LF community today.