February 18, 2021
Thursday after Ash Wednesday
The Choice
I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live, by loving the Lord, your God…
Deuteronomy 30:19-20

The choice God gives us between a blessing or a curse, at first glance, seems easy enough. “I’ll take the blessing of life, please.” We can unwrap the gift of life like a wild child, tearing open the box and tossing aside the directions, crying “mine, mine.” I’ve seen what happens when a youngster struggles to make the new contraption work, grows more anxious and, finally, breaks the whole thing apart without even knowing what it does. Sadly, some days we are the wild child— not appreciating or being thankful for each moment of life. On our best days, we remember to pray with gratitude, wait patiently and share what we have with others. To choose life does not mean living longer or to live as we please. The blessing of life calls us to love God with grateful hearts and share God’s love with everyone we meet.

- Deborah Meister

Deuteronomy 30:15-20 • Psalm 1:1-4, 6 Luke 9:22-25

Comments

February 18, 2021 at 03:55 PM

Deborah, thank you for your devotion. * On this second day of Lent, we are challenged to choose life, Lent, and salvation. If we don’t want Lent, we can ignore it. If we don’t want life and salvation, we can refuse them. We can either lose our life but gain everlasting life, or gain the whole world and lose our soul (Lk 9:24-25). The choice is ours. Many Christians don’t reject Lent but don’t accept it either. They’re neither hot nor cold about Lent, but lukewarm (Rv 3:16). Jesus wants us to really get into Lent or forget it. He doesn’t want us to be lukewarm. So before this day ends, let’s make a strong decision either for or against Lent, Life. Hopefully, we will choose to have the greatest Lent of our lives, to fast in some way for all forty days of Lent, to deny ourselves, take up the cross each day and follow in Jesus’ steps (Lk 9:23). The Lord has chosen us and chosen to love and lead us in a special way this Lent and always. Choose Him; choose life; choose Lent. God Bless our living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

February 18, 2021 at 11:30 AM

Thanks kjc for reminding me of Psalm 51:10. I will add it to my daily prayer along with Psalm 104:30. These are my Lenten faith journey prayers of Faith, Hope And Love. Prayers for my LFF’s spiritual growth during Lent.

February 18, 2021 at 10:39 AM

Choices! Oh yes! God is sovereign and yet He gives us freedom to choose :-) Difficult concept and yet it is abosultely true: God is immutable and we have to choose! Let's put in front of us these two choices: ***A. *life and prosperity; *will live and grow numerous; *the LORD your God will bless you in the land; *life; *blessing; *the LORD watches over the way of the just; *whoever loses his life for My (Jesus) sake will save it; ***IF you: *obey the commandments; *loving Him, *walking in His ways, *keeping His commandments, statutes and decrees; *follows not the counsel of the wicked; *nor walks in the way of sinners; *nor sits in the company of the insolent; *delights in the law of the LORD; *meditates on His law day and night; *come after Me (Jesus); *must deny himself (yourself); *take up his (your) cross daily and follow Me (Jesus); ***B. *you will certainly perish; *you will not have a long life on the land; *death; *curse; *the way of the wicked vanishes; *whoever wishes to save his (your) life will lose it; ***IF you: *turn away your hearts and will not listen; *but are led astray; *adore and serve other gods; ***Therefore, "Repent, says the Lord; the Kingdom of heaven is at hand!" (Mattew 4:17) It is really as simple as that: REPENT!!! And you will be saved because "Blessed are they who hope in the Lord!" Amen! ***I Repent by Steve Green https://youtu.be/HO5nWZD8Tt0

February 18, 2021 at 10:05 AM

God is so kind and fair. Here are the options. Choose life!

February 18, 2021 at 09:35 AM

February 18, 2021 at 09:01 AM

Amen, great message. In today's first reading sums it all up for me. "Today" not tomorrow, I have set in front of you the path to follow. Yes, the path I lay before you has choices and consequences, say the Lord. Loving him, walking in his ways, keeping his commandments, statues and decrees, but if you fail to follow this path, there will be consequences. If you turn away your hearts from me and will not listen, be led astray by others because we are week, then there will be a hard life filled with consequences. Lord my God thank you for making your word today jump off the pages and show me, bless me with the path to follow in my life. Forgive me for all of my past sins. strengthen me during these next 40 days, prepare me for a life filled with your presence. Amen. Dear Jesus, please hear the prayers I bring to you today, the prayers of our Living Faith Family, the prayers for the ones who have no one to pray for them and lastly for all of the souls in Purgatory who will be reunited with you today in Heaven. May all of us hear today's message and follow and choose your path. Amen

February 18, 2021 at 08:39 AM

February 18, 2021 at 08:29 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly host. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies' radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). our Kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now as in the heavens also on earth. Amen

February 18, 2021 at 07:21 AM

Everyone has the right to life. When we start deciding who will live and who will die we become a cursed nation. Many of our states are now pushing for euthanasia laws and we have already had over 40 million babies killed because someone chose death over life. We have lost the respect for life. Pray for the unborn, the handicapped, and the elderly. It is a dangerous time for them.

Elizabeth
February 18, 2021 at 03:23 PM

Amen. When it's dangerous for "them", it is dangerous for you and I as well. As Mother Angelica wisely said, "you're next." Choose wisely indeed, and let's pray we follow our God given conscience and don't allow someone else, who knows more and better- not, to choose for us.

AZ NANNY OF 4
February 18, 2021 at 09:22 AM

AMEN

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
February 18, 2021 at 05:35 AM

The paradox of life is that we renounce ourselves so that we can live. What does it mean to deny ourselves? It means that we do not make ourselves the center of the world. We are to live in a way that we are forgetful about ourselves. Our focus should not be on ourselves but on others. We live indirectly when we are not obsessed with our reputation, our needs and our desires. When we are focused on others, we forget our own problems. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

February 18, 2021 at 10:34 AM

Sham/Peter/Narine Tim and Azmom great readings today living your life with choices like an exam. Life or death New saying I am going to pray each day Psalm 51:10 Look it up. Please pray for the essential workers and their families and the people who have no one to pray for them and the souls in purgatory. New novena started yesterday will share tomorrow. I will pray for the living faith family right now. Ken

Tami
February 18, 2021 at 06:12 AM

Great response to today’s passage. Have a blessed day everyone, keep faith in Jesus.