February 17, 2021
Ash Wednesday
‘The Day of Salvation’
Behold, now is a very acceptable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.
2 Corinthians 6:2

Even as children, we learn that putting off difficult decisions or unwanted chores is not a good strategy for success. The longer grudges are held, the harder they are to repair. The taller the grass grows, the more difficult it is to mow.

Lent begins today, and we are reminded by St. Paul of the words of the prophet Isaiah: There’s no better time than the present. The Church gives us this annual reminder that “right now” is the best time to turn back to God, the right time to seek and give forgiveness, the most appropriate moment to renew our commitment to lives of faith, service, sacrifice and love. Now is the day of salvation.

Jesus, give me the courage to act and respond right now.

- Steve Givens

Joel 2:12-18 • Psalm 51:3-6, 12-14, 17 2 Corinthians 5:20—6:2 • Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

Comments

February 17, 2021 at 05:33 PM

Spoken like a true (reformed?) procrastinator, Steve! I remember all too well the consequences of putting off chores. Maybe someone else will get it done, maybe I can put it off a little longer. But now Is the very acceptable time. Now more than ever people are in need. We must use our 3 T's "Time, Talent and Treasures" to help our family, friends and especially those we don't know in this Lenten season. We can't just 'give up' something for Lent and then start back up when it's over. We need to start with a new attitude and instead of giving up we should Give Out. We will feel a whole lot better when Christ is Risen within us come Easter.

February 17, 2021 at 03:59 PM

What does the "ash" represent on "Ash Wednesday!" Let's look at some of the mention of ash in Scripture *** 1) Esther 4:1, "When Mordecai learned of all that had been done, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and ashes, and went out into the city, wailing loudly and bitterly." 2) Job 2:8, "Then Job took a piece of broken pottery and scraped himself with it as he sat among the ashes." 3) Daniel 9:3, "So I (Daniel) turned to the Lord God and pleaded with Him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes." *All of them, Mordecai (Esther's uncle), Job and Daniel were in dire and desperate situations in need of saving from political, physical and exile circumstances! *What dire and desperate situation do I need saving from? *What dire and desperate situation do you need saving from? *** Psalm 51:3-4, "For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me Against You, You only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight; so You are right in Your verdict and justified when You judge." I desperately need saving from my sins and transgressions :-( *** 2 Corinthians 5:21, "For our sake He (God) made Him (Jesus) to be sin Who did not know sin, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him!" YES, Salvation through Jesus Christ :-) *** 2 Corinthians 6:2c, "Behold, now is a very acceptable time; behold, now is the day of Salvation!" NOW is the time for Salvation :-) *** Even When You Are Running by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/iRiRdWTeJ9Y *** I deserve death and You rescued me, Lord Jesus! You took my penalty of sin...You died on the cross to pay for my sins...You loved me while I was still a sinner!!! At just the right time, You heard me. On the day of Salvation, You helped me 20 years ago :-) I pray to You, Lord Jesus, that this is the day for Your Salvation is here as You hear those who cry out to You, Amen!!!

February 17, 2021 at 10:45 AM

Attention this way to the cross. Alms Giving, Pray, Fasting. Jesus teaches us today the way to the cross, on what we can do this Lent to be prepared. Prepared for his Resurrection, which will happen in 40 days from now. We have 40 full days to prepare ourselves for this blessed event. I was asked by Pope Francis today in an article I was reading this morning. "What practical steps will I take to draw closer to Jesus this Lent". Lent stirs up a call to repentance and a reminder of our morality. A call to prepare for us a clean heart ready to accept Jesus in our hearts at the acceptable time, prepared for us by our God. We do not know when this will be, so let us use these 40 days to better prepare us for our salvation. Dear Jesus hear our prayers to day for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, we pray, Amen.

February 17, 2021 at 10:20 AM

Have a blessed Ash Wednesday, everyone. It's cold and snowy here in St. Louis...may you all have a prayerful lent.

annie
February 17, 2021 at 10:43 AM

Blessings for our Living Faith Family on our Lenten Journey. May God Bless us everyone! Amen!

February 17, 2021 at 09:54 AM

Amen. Prayers for the LF Family for a blessed Lenten journey. I look forward to sharing this season with this wonderful community.

February 17, 2021 at 09:33 AM

February 17, 2021 at 08:15 AM

February 17, 2021 at 07:50 AM

Thank you very much, Steve, for your fruitful message to start into our Lenten journey! I pray a blessed Lent for everyone!

Steve Givens
February 17, 2021 at 10:22 AM

Thanks for your prayers, Marg.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
February 17, 2021 at 06:19 AM

Thanks Steve for today's devotion. The lenten journey: today the church invites us all to undertake the lenten journey as we prepare for the celebration of the Paschal Mystery, the passion, death and resurrection of our Lord. This journey is not just a personal journey but communitarian as well. It is an invitation to each one of us personally to turn back to the Lord with all our hearts, in sincerity and with remorse for our sins. But it is an invitation also to all of us as the people of god to accompany each other in this journey so that we do not undertake this arduous journey alone without the support of the Christian community. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.