February 15, 2021
Praise
Offer to God a sacrifice of praise.
Psalm 50:14 (responsorial)

In two days, Ash Wednesday will be here and Lent begins. We may be planning our Lenten discipline, with sacrifice being at the top of our list. We have a list of dos and don’ts and hope to keep our resolve until Easter.

But let’s not forget the injunction in today’s psalm: The sacrifice God asks for is our praise. This is harder than we think. And it is neither a cop-out nor a gloss over our Lenten duties.

This is a call to look at our life with all the weakness we have brought to it, the challenges we have faced and the poor reactions—riddled with regret—that we have often had. This is offering praise to God in all the seasons of our life, for we trust that God alone can make us whole. It is a small way of acknowledging God as the Planner of our lives. God lays the foundation and we, the bricks.

May this coming Lent deepen our sacrifice of praise as we accept what has been, what is and what may yet to be.

- Sr. Bridget Haase O.S.U.

Genesis 4:1-15, 25 • Psalm 50:1, 8, 16-17, 20-21 Mark 8:11-13

Comments

February 27, 2021 at 09:13 AM

Thank you Sr Bridget for your comment. Nice to see that you are stationed in my home town of Lewiston Maine. God Bless you for your service. Maybe I will see you in the lobby of McDonald’s someday helping out those in need.

Douglas Nentwig Respond to comment
February 15, 2021 at 10:25 PM

Simply put: Develop an attitude of graditude.

February 15, 2021 at 01:24 PM

Sr. Bridget, thank you for your heart touching and inspiring devotion. * Today is cloudy a and gloomy day here where I'm at, but after reading our Living Faith Family's devotion, comments and responses I feel a sense of comfort and encouragement. Thank You LFF. As I've gotten older I've taken Lent differently and more seriously. I too, instead of giving up material things, I have been giving up being impatient, quick tempered and being judgmental toward others. During Lent I work harder at reflecting on myself and where and what I need to improve. I'll continue to improve on my relationship with Jesus,, being humble and kind towards others and and helping others in need. Praising God during my struggles, trials and when I'm at my wit's end is hard to do but that is what I'll be working on during this Lenten Season. God Bless our Living Faith Family.

Tillie
February 15, 2021 at 04:12 PM

Ken (kjc), thank you! Thank goodness for online, you don't see my faults and flaws in person. LOL. I will pray for for Mason and Louis and his grandson, and the souls in purgatory, essential workers, those who have no one to pray for them. God Bless you Ken.

kjc
February 15, 2021 at 02:03 PM

Tillie after reading what you have been saying over the last few months I can't see you being impatient or quick tempered or judgmental. When I have problem with people who bother me I recite {what a nun I heard speaking said } She/he is a child of God 4 or 5 times ( better than counting to 10) Tillie please pray for Mason and Louis and his grandson, and the souls in purgatory, essential workers, those who have no one to pray for them. Another suggestion to all the Living Faith family is to call someone who would love to hear from you. I am still not a robot Ken

February 15, 2021 at 01:10 PM

February 15, 2021 at 12:12 PM

"A Sacrifice of Praise!" * Why is "praise" a "sacrifice?" * Why would "praise" be a "sacrifice?" * Doesn't one "praise" God when something good happen? Or does one "praise"God when something bad happen? *** What are You telling me, Lord? *** What is the difference between Cain's and Abel's sacrifices that You favored Abel and not Cain? *** Why was it a bad idea that the Pharisees asked You for a miracle? Don't we do the same these days asking You for healing miracles? What is the difference? Is there a difference? *** Thank You for Your Word in these passages: 1) Hebrews 10:3-7, "But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins. It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats (no matter how much good we do) to take away sins. Therefore, when Christ came into the world, He said: “Sacrifice and offering You did not desire, but a body You prepared for Me; with burnt offerings and sin offerings You were not pleased. Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about Me in the scroll—I have come to do Your will, My God.’” 2) Hebrews 10:8-10, "First He (Jesus) said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings You did not desire, nor were You pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law. Then He said, “Here I am, I have come to do Your will.” He sets aside the first (the old ways of sacrifice, an annual reminder of sins) to establish the second (Christ's sacrifice in doing God's will on the cross). And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." 3) Hebrews 13:15-16, "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess His Name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." *** My takeaways: 1) The ultimate sacrifice of praise is Jesus Christ for what He has done on the cross, not anything I did, do or will do! 2) The heart of the person determines the intent of the sacrifice or question! 3) My personal sacrifice of praise is in the being: to know Jesus, to love Jesus, to enjoy Jesus, so I glorify God resulting in the doing! *** Hosea 6:6, "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." *** Psalm 51:16-17, "You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; You do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, You, God, will not despise." *** Matthew 9:13, "But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” *** Who am I by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/mBcqria2wmg "Not because of who I am But because of what You've done Not because of what I've done But because of Who You are" Amen!!!

February 15, 2021 at 10:52 AM

Amen, the power of wonderful words reminds me of the song, "Wonderful Words of Life." in the midst of the chaos, the sin, the temptations, the challenges...We have to praise the Holy God...as I was driving to work this AM. I heard a song on the radio with the following lines, "Just say beautiful words out of your mouth and know what you say comes back to you. " I had to just turn off the radio at that moment, so I don't know who sang the song or the title. Praising God means that our praises will come back to us no matter what we have done, what we are doing and will do in the future. Just speak beautiful/wonderful words everyday and see what happens. Peace, love, hope and joy fill us always.

February 15, 2021 at 09:39 AM

Amen! Thank you for sharing these words of wisdom. I am in the Ohio River Valley and in the path of both storms. Twenty plus years on Lake Erie taught me a lot - I didn't want to live there but God knew better - and I'm prepared to face heavy snowfall in an area that is not accustomed to harsh winters. I ask for prayers that there will be no power outages or other dangers for those who are unable to leave their homes. I also pray for the elderly, young, and sick at this time; those living alone, and homeless people that they have shelter. I pray that I will be attentive and ready to help others. May God meet every need. Amen.

TW
February 15, 2021 at 10:21 PM

Very Nice Prayer Request! God Provides and He Truly Cares!

February 15, 2021 at 09:30 AM

SIN, it is out there all over, close to us and far from us, but all around us. As we prepare for Lent, let us examine our own lives and see the SIN in us not always in others. My dad always used to say, that we have enough to worry about with ourselves, than to worry or judge others. He was a wise man, one I wish I had spent more quality time with during my life. I love you Dad. Yesterday a friend of mine shared a link for a movie for me to watch. Seven Days In Utopia. It is available on Amazon Video. I will leave you with the most important part of the move's message to us, one very fitting for the beginning of Lent 2021. S.F.T. you have to watch the movie all the way to the end to get as Paul Harvey use to say "The Rest Of The Story". In today's message we see how Cain reacted to sin and we see the way the Pharisees had other motives in mind when they questioned Jesus for a sign. We do not need a sing, we just need to focus on our own sins within and begin preparing ourselves for Ash Wednesday as we begin this lenten season walk with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Prayers for the Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, we pray, Amen.

February 15, 2021 at 07:59 AM

God lays the foundation and we, the bricks. We must keep building even if our bricks are chipped and broken. That’s all that God expects of us. Beautiful devotional Sister.

February 15, 2021 at 07:56 AM

During Lent each year instead of giving up something like chocolate or sweets, I try to do more! Take time to pray more, do kind things for those around me, help those in need, Step out of my comfort zone and actively participate in someone else’s pain! Do more! Be closer to someone who is grieving, feed the hungry. I try to BE MERCY! This is not an easy task it takes a lot more than just giving up chocolate etc. I don’t always succeed, but I sure try! Try it this Lent! Try going to mass every day during the week… It will change your life! May God bless you in everything you try for his honor and glory. Amen

Tim
February 15, 2021 at 09:14 AM

Jo, thank you so much for these great ideas. I too want to have a closer relationship with Jesus at the end of Lent to prepare me for my life ahead. Thank you and have a blessed day. Amen

Sandi G
February 15, 2021 at 08:37 AM

Thank you as I was struggling what to give up this lent. I now know my plan “Do more good, love and pray Little harder. Let the good me come first. Praise God with all my heart

kjc
February 15, 2021 at 08:26 AM

I agree with you both think of giving the "Ts' Time, Treasure, Talent, Please pray for Mason, Louis and his grandson. Pray for those who have no one to pray for them and the essential workers, and the souls in purgatory. Sharing a morning pray O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer You my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for my sins, for the intentions of all my relatives and friends, and in particular for the intentions of the Holy Father. Amen. Living Faith family I will pray for you at morning Mass Ken Ke

azmom
February 15, 2021 at 08:01 AM

I agree, Jo. Giving up things is ok, but actually giving more of yourself to God is even better!