February 14, 2021
Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time
The Face of Love
He remained outside in deserted places, and people kept coming to him from everywhere.
Mark 1:45

Even when he was outdoors and solitary. Even when he had deliberately sought out places remote and wild and lonely, people kept coming to Jesus. And why? Because when the energies of compassion and acceptance and spaciousness of heart are present in a person, we take notice. Even when we don’t quite understand, even when we’re unable to articulate what draws us, we recognize the aura of holiness, the presence of the divine in another. We feel safe to unpack our brokenness and our dreams. We intuit that simply being in the presence of the Holy will be healing and comforting and affirming and full of grace.

On this Valentine’s day, may we be that face of love, may we radiate that graced energy to all in our world who long and hope for just such a Presence.

- Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, IHM

Leviticus 13:1-2, 44-46 • Psalm 32:1-2, 5, 11 1 Corinthians 10:31—11:1 • Mark 1:40-45

Comments

Douglas Nentwig Respond to comment
February 14, 2021 at 10:26 PM

I like the 1st line of today's psalm, "Happy the sinner whose fault is remvoved".

February 14, 2021 at 03:10 PM

Sr. Chris thank you for your inspiring devotion. * HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY LIVING FAITH FAMILY. I hope everyone will have a wonderful and joyous day full love and laughter and may we share that love and laughter with others. God Bless everyone..

david
February 14, 2021 at 09:16 PM

Amen

February 14, 2021 at 01:12 PM

Amen. Happy Valentines Day, LF family! <3

February 14, 2021 at 12:41 PM

I am sorry that I have given you the impression that I have COVID. I don’t have COVID! I was saying if anyone who tested positive would have told everyone he/she came in contact with. Thank you for all your prayers which I turn them over for those who are tested positive! That brings up an idea: if you are tested positive, will you let us know so we can go to God with you? And if you recover from COVID, can you tell us how God works in your situation? And if you lost someone to COVID, can you tell us something about the person you lost and how God is working with you on your loss?

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
February 14, 2021 at 12:25 PM

Thanks for Sr Chris for today's devotion. LIiving stones :The real Temple is not the building per se but the Christian Community that gathers together to worship God, and as individuals wherever we are. As a community, the Ecclesia, which means Church, we are God’s building. We are therefore the living stones of the Temple of God. We make up the Church. As individuals, we are God’s temple because God lives in us through the Holy Spirit by virtue of our baptism. We are called to be the presence of Jesus wherever we are. Prayer for all living faith family members. Prayer for Salina in particular during this time. Have a blessed day everyone.

February 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM

I found this video to be very educational and tells the Catholic story of St. Valentine. https://youtu.be/5-E280sCyyw Happy St. Valentine's Day!????

Melissa H
February 14, 2021 at 12:23 PM

Sending link again https://youtu.be/5-E280sCyyw

February 14, 2021 at 10:59 AM

February 14, 2021 at 09:27 AM

All the readings today reminds me of what is happening with the pandemic (leprosy): *Leviticus 13: as one tested COVID-19 positive, one declares to everyone he/she has come in contact with! Why? *1 Corinthians 10:33b, "not seeking my own benefit but that of the many, that they may be saved!" *Mark 1: But when the social media blows the pandemic out of control, it is impossible for Jesus to be the main focus! ***https://www.statista.com/statistics/1101932/coronavirus-covid19-cases-and-deaths-number-us-americans/ "As of February 10, 2021, the number of both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of the COVID-19 disease reported in the United States had reached around 27 million with over 466 thousand deaths reported among these cases." So what happan to the 26.5 million who recovered? Where are their stories? Where are the stories of "To God Be the Glory"? And social media stories become "Whose fault is it when the 466 thousand died?" "Where was Jesus when these 466 thousand died?" "Should have, could have or would have?" "How insensitive for anyone to talk about the 26.5 million recovered when 466 thousand died?" ***How one "publicizes the whole matter" matters - whether Jesus enters openly or remains outside? ***Therefore, "Brothers and sisters, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God...not seeking my own benefit but that of the many, that they may be saved!" ***Not only the recovered stories benefit others physically and mentally, but especially spiritually!!! *My prayer: May all of us turn to You, Lord, in time of trouble, and You fill us with the joy of Salvation! Amen!

February 15, 2021 at 03:39 PM

Elise, thank you for sharing your personal experience with us on COVID and your perspectives on your real and practical life circumstance! You know what encourages me the most in your sharing: your undivided heart and focus of God and praising Him in all your situations! I so appreciate you and your sharing, Elise!!!

Elise
February 15, 2021 at 07:37 AM

My 28 year old special needs son who is already on a ventilator lives with us and my husband has been suffering for the last 5 years or so, with respiratory issues that have sent him to the hospital several times. So certainly ever since last March I was very worried about COVID. In October many of my family members, including myself , my husband and my 86 year old Mother got it. Thank God we are blessed with a wonderful nursing staff and the ability to separate my son from us when we are ill . He did not get it. I was off of work for pretty much the entire month. My husband and my mom, well all I can say is God is always there, worry is unnecessary stress. My husband had a hard time following the requirement to stay home for ten days. He was sick but there where only three days that he required bedrest. My mom although suffering for about a month, was spared any severe symptoms and is now back to her active self. I still do what I can to prevent my family and friends from getting this deadly virus. I wear my mask and socially distance myself due to the unknowns of the spread risk. I choose to do this, not because of fear, or because some government official is ordering it. I do this because I was raised to respect life from conception to natural death and I am not convinced that this virus is natural. I believe God wants me to give this small inconvenient sacrifice for the love of my neighbor. I thank God for the continued blessing of my family and have faith that no matter what comes my way he will be at my side and help me through it. Thank you Salina for asking for COVID stories. I have wanted to share my feeling but did not want the judgmental reactions to my thoughts I would get if I was to post on other social media. Have a Blessed Day Everyone!

February 14, 2021 at 12:29 PM

I’m sorry :-( I don’t have COVID...I was saying that when anyone who tested positive would tell all those he/she have come in contact with. I will definitely praise God if I get COVID and also when I don’t!!! Thank you Melissa for your prayer...for everyone and anyone who tested positive! That reminds me one time when I met a friend to pick up something last July. She told me not to hug her because her daughter was just tested and result was not back yet. So I said I would love to hug her and get it over with because I believe God has given me the immunity to fight any virus...real or not...that was how I feel and still do!

Melissa H
February 14, 2021 at 12:11 PM

So sorry to hear you got covid! Will pray that you regain your former self in the long run. I too enjoy reading your comments. I think you are spot on! Please take good care of yourself and your family! Gods blessings to you????

kjc
February 14, 2021 at 10:47 AM

Salina I always enjoy your comments, I am sorry about you being tested positive guess that means no sports competition for 10 days. I am getting my second shot tomorrow. Salina I will pray for you , please keep Mason and Louis and his grandson in your prayers, as well as the souls in purgatory, and those who have no one to pray for them. I am still not a robot Ken

February 14, 2021 at 08:48 AM

Oh God, you are my rock, my strength, let me begin my days with this positive affirmation everyday. Let me wake, feet on the ground and say I am here Lord, let me make a difference in the world today, using all of my God given abilities. Our storm, crosses , Illness and sufferings have drawn us closer to you than yesterday. Let our faith strengthen, give us all we need to carry on. Are not all unclean with sin? I turn to you oh Lord Jesus unclean with my sin and ask for your true forgiveness. Let me not judge others, but lead others to your comfort, forgiveness and true life. May we continue to come to you with our blemishes of sin, unclean and confess to you that we do not want to live like this, rather live as you have taught us. We can change, be made clean, our faith tells us so. May we come to serve you all the days of our lives, be an example to others by our actions. We want to imitate you Jesus. I want to be made clean. Please help me this Lent to turn away from my old self, full of sin and embrace a whole new relationship with you, full of faith. Dear Jesus, hear the prayers of our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory that today, reunite them with you in heaven. We pray AMEN.

Beth Novack
February 14, 2021 at 09:26 AM

Beautiful prayer, Tim. Amen!

February 14, 2021 at 08:48 AM

February 14, 2021 at 08:41 AM

Have a Happy, Healthy and Healing Valentine's Day :-) https://quotesgram.com/img/religious-quotes-about-valentines/758462/ True Love in John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life!"

February 14, 2021 at 07:20 AM

Thank you, Sr. Chris, for the reminder to be the face of Christ’s love! God bless!

February 14, 2021 at 06:16 AM

Thank you for recognizing Valentine's day. The Church may not acknowledge it anymore, but the rest of the world does.

Tillie
February 14, 2021 at 03:25 PM

Troy, we are the "The Church". the Living Faith Family, Christians, followers of Jesus, His beloved children and as far as I can tell we are celebrating Valentine's Day.

kjc
February 14, 2021 at 10:56 AM

Troy, first azmom you go girl I love teachers used to be one still have 2nd graders on Sundays when we open up again He is something I will share with the Living Faith family ST. VALENTINE St. Valentine of Rome (c. 270) was a priest who lived in Rome during the reign of Emperor Claudius II. Little is known of his life with certainty, except that he ministered to Christians who were persecuted and imprisoned for their faith, and died a martyr. One account has it that the emperor banned all marriages and engagements in Rome, believing this was the reason Roman men were unwilling to serve in the army. Valentine defied this unjust decree and continued to perform marriages for lovers in secret. He was arrested, and while in prison he restored sight to his jailer's blind daughter, causing the jailer and his entire extended household, forty-six people in total, to immediately convert to Christianity. Upon hearing this, Claudius ordered Valentine's execution. St. Valentine left a farewell note for the jailer's daughter, whom he had befriended, and signed it "From Your Valentine." He was beheaded on February 14th. St. Valentine is the patron of many causes including bee keepers, betrothed and engaged couples, lovers, love, happy marriages, and young people. His feast day is February 14th. Ken

Troy
February 14, 2021 at 10:27 AM

In fact, the priest mentioned St. Francis and not Valentine..

Jo
February 14, 2021 at 09:40 AM

Good for you, Azmom!! Thank you for clarifying that thought about LOVE! The Church is ALL ABOUT LOVE as we celebrate SAINT VALENTINES DAY!

azmom
February 14, 2021 at 08:43 AM

My entire first grade class learned about St. Valentine and how he was martyred for his refusal to worship Caesar instead of the one true God. I teach at a Catholic school now and this would never have been allowed in the public schools where I used to teach. So to say that the Catholic Church doesn’t recognize this holiday is so wrong. We celebrate what love is really all about.