February 11, 2021
Our Lady of Lourdes
Thursday, February 11 Our Lady of Lourdes
Behold, thus is the man blessed
who fears the Lord.
Psalm 128:4

A number of years ago, a priest friend and I took a woman suffering from terminal cancer to Lourdes. She was not Catholic but willingly came along. When we arrived, she plunged into the waters and joined us in prayer. Sometime later, she died.

Before she passed, she said to me, “I am glad I went to Lourdes.” It was clear that she received a special grace, although not a physical healing as we had hoped.

So many people become angry when they do not get what they want from God. I think it best to repeat the phrase, “God gives us what we need, not what we want.”

I believe this woman died in gratitude and hope. God answered her prayers. God answers our prayers. We, too, should be grateful and live, and die, in hope.

- Msgr. Stephen Rossetti

Genesis 2:18-25 • Psalm 128:1-5 Mark 7:24-30

Comments

Douglas Nentwig Respond to comment
February 11, 2021 at 10:34 PM

I was directed to this site by a footnote in the pamphlet, (which are repeated on this site) which I read daily. I am also learning about the various meanings of the daily commentaries from the comments made on this site. I like it!!!

February 11, 2021 at 05:19 PM

Msgr. Stephen, thank you for your beautiful devotion. Thank you for reminding us that "God answers our prayers. We, too, should be grateful and live, and die, in hope." He knows everything about us since before we were conceived and He knows our future, so Yes He know what's best for us. But He wants us to come to Him in prayer and with faith, with our wants and requests. Just like the woman in today's Gospel, the Syrophoenician, she begged him to drive the demon out of her daughter. With perseverance and faith Jesus can change His mind, His will and do something he wouldn’t ordinarily do. God Bless our Living Faith Family.

February 11, 2021 at 04:54 PM

Aw Troy. Regarding Yesterday. I just wanted to tell you that you're human and like all of us humans, we don't always understand why God does things and so we question. The best thing that we Christians, followers of Jesus, God, is to have a strong relationship with him, pray to Him and "sit still and know that He is God". Be patient for "He will" satisfy your heart and answer you in His time. God Bless you.

February 11, 2021 at 04:12 PM

Thank you, Msgr. Stephen Rossetti, for your teaching today. When we go through a difficult experience it is hard to see though the mist but I am learning that our God keeps an eye on us and see's are difficulties and we should trust him to do what he wants in our life. The harvest blessing we receive from persevering is for our good since it comes form our Father through Jesus to us.

February 11, 2021 at 11:18 AM

I love questions, David, "Since God rested on the Sabbath we know that God never really rest since He is God. Is there another deeper meaning of God's rest of the Sabbath?" ***Isaiah 58:13-14, "Keep the Sabbath day holy. Don’t pursue your own interests on that day, but enjoy the Sabbath and speak of it with delight as the Lord’s holy day. Honor the Sabbath in everything you do on that day, and don’t follow your own desires or talk idly. Then the Lord will be your delight. I will give you great honor and satisfy you with the inheritance I promised to your ancestor Jacob. I, the Lord, have spoken! ***Ezekiel 20:20, "Keep my Sabbaths holy, that they may be a sign between us. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God.” ***Mark 2:27, "Then Jesus said to them, “The Sabbath was made to meet the needs of people, and not people to meet the requirements of the Sabbath. ***I hope these passages answer your questions of What, Why and How of Sabbath :-) You see, God established Sabbath for our benefits and He did not made Sabbath a rule so we have to check it off...One more thing: The Sabbath for the Jews is still on Saturday, but the Sabbath for Christians is Sunday. I wonder why? The Jews are still waitng for their Messiah to come, and the Christian Messiah, Jesus, has already risen on Sunday and seated on the right hand side of the Father interceeding for His people on earth :-) To that I say Amen!

Tillie
February 11, 2021 at 04:35 PM

Amen Salina, I like your response to David's question. God always does what he does for our good.

david
February 11, 2021 at 03:46 PM

Thank you, Salina. I really appreciate it.

February 11, 2021 at 10:48 AM

This is a very special day for me. On the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes 26 years ago, our marriage was blessed in the Church. This is the day that I consider the happiest day of my life! Thank you Dear Lord again for Your inexhaustible mercy. Dear sweet Lady of Lourdes, please continue to watch over Max and I. And, God rest Monsignor Jamail's soul. After 26 years I continue to be humbly and tearfully joy filled!

david
February 11, 2021 at 03:48 PM

Wonderfully said.

February 11, 2021 at 10:44 AM

Good devotional but.........the Word also says "he will give the desires of your heart." Obviously, God is sovereign but he's also given us power beyond measure. Do YOU believe that? Have a blessed day.

February 11, 2021 at 10:12 AM

Reading Msgr Stephen's sharing this morning points me of 3 things: 1)Matthew 9:5, "Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’?" 2)Spiritual healing is greater and better than physical healing 3)Father know best (like the TV show:-) ***Did you know that Eve was named "woman" (Genesis 2:23) before the name was changed to "Eve" (Genesis 3:20)? *I wonder why and what are the meanings of 'woman' and 'Eve?' *Today's Gospel reminds me of the Parable of the Persistent Widow in Luke 18:1-8 *What do I pray for or how do I know the difference between what I want and what I need...pray that my wants are my needs are His will...1 John 5:14, "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us!" ***Thy Will by Hillary Scott & The Scott Family https://youtu.be/PAmh3yvmzXs Amen :-)

david
February 11, 2021 at 03:51 PM

February 11, 2021 at 09:54 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly host. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (air waves). Your Kingdom must come now. Your will must be don right now, as in the heavens, also on earth. Amen

February 11, 2021 at 09:53 AM

My question from today's first reading is, wouldn't walking and talking to God be enough?

February 11, 2021 at 10:18 AM

Excellent question, Gayle! You would think that would be enough for Adam, right? "But God" (this is my mantra for everything now :-) in Genesis 2:18, "The LORD God said: “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a suitable partner for him.” It was God's idea :-)

February 11, 2021 at 09:41 AM

Amen! Beautiful devotion.

Cindy A
February 11, 2021 at 10:21 AM

We would hope that being so incredibly close to our Father would be more than enough! But that's just it, He is our Father. I understand that God our Father wished to provide companionship for his son, who would be his peer, rather than his senior, creator, and God. Like children having one another to relate to?

February 11, 2021 at 08:52 AM

Msgr. Stephen, thank you for such a great story shared with us today. Sometime we all get caught up in what we want to happen and when it does not go our way or not as fast as we want. I always try to step back and say not my will be done, but your will be done Lord. Because if we truly believe in our faith, then we know his way, no matter how or when, it will be much great than we could have ever imagined. This belief will not stop me from Praying and asking him for his intercession into my life or the life of my family or the ones close to me in my life. We humbly come to him with open arms and hearts, to be filled with his continuing forgiveness and love. From today's first reading I am so thankful for my wife, partner I would not know how I would have come so far in my life without her. Two become one. Then in today's Gospel we see this women come to Jesus with such great faith, dear Jesus let me learn by her example of faith in my own life and trust you with all of my being and heart this day. Let me be a good example to others in this same act of love and forgiveness, I pray. Amen. Praying for all of you here, Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory we pray, Amen. Have a blessed day everyone.

david
February 11, 2021 at 04:01 PM

"Sometime we all get caught up in what we want to happen and when it does not go our way or not as fast as we want. I always try to step back and say not my will be done, but your will be done Lord. " These sentence's mean something to me as I have just gone through this experience as of yesterday.

February 11, 2021 at 08:35 AM

Beautiful devotion. Many times "healing" comes not on this side of the grave but on the other. God does know best.

February 11, 2021 at 08:26 AM

February 11, 2021 at 08:12 AM

Amen. Our Lady of Lourdes pray for us!

February 11, 2021 at 07:19 AM

Heavenly Father, Let Thy Will Be Done! Amen.

February 11, 2021 at 07:11 AM

Amen..

February 11, 2021 at 06:37 AM

The devotional today was perfect for me and my spiritual journey. So often I think I know best, but I don’t. This is such an appropriate reflection for our world, God gives us what we need, not what we want.

February 11, 2021 at 06:17 AM

Thank you so much for reminding us that God know what's best for us. Many times, we forget that during our daily trials and triumphs. I am also reminded once again this year to be grateful.