February 10, 2021
St. Scholastica
The Need for Community
The Lord God planted a garden in Eden, in the east, and placed there the man whom he had formed.
Genesis 2:8

In the second chapter of Genesis, the creation account describes how the man was, at first, alone. It is almost hard to fathom…just one person in all of creation.

Today, for many of us, the importance of community became evident during the pandemic when social distancing was enforced. In some cases, this meant no hugs, no helping hand, no pats on the back, no shoulder to cry on. Early research has shown that social distancing has a significant impact on our mental health and emotional well-being.

We humans are meant to live in community to support one another and to share. As a line in the first Rocky movie put it, “She’s got gaps, I got gaps, together we fill gaps.” Therein lies the power of relationships—to bring one another to wholeness.

How often it is that we don’t realize how important something is until it is taken away.

- Judy Schueneman

Genesis 2:4b-9, 15-17 • Psalm 104:1-2, 27-30 Mark 7:14-23

Comments

Douglas Nentwig Respond to comment
February 10, 2021 at 10:21 PM

I receive the book "Lviing Faith" through my church & include the readings in my daily meditations.

February 10, 2021 at 04:52 PM

Welcome to all the new names here today, I hope we can enrich each other in our faith. Continued prayers for the Living Faith family.

February 10, 2021 at 04:45 PM

Thank you Judy for your devotion. * I like all our Living faith Family's responses to Troy's Question: "Memorial of Saint Scholastica, Virgin.... I am being serious. Why do we emphasize her virginity?" and "I don't like the fact?? No, that is not it. I am asking why bring it up? A nonvirgin can be just as dedicated to God as a virgin." Troy you're putting much emphasis on the technical or medical definition of virginity and nothing at all on the condition of a person’s heart. therefore virginity is when a person truly Loves, Honors, and obeys God with their heart, body, mind and soul (which is what He wants from us), and when we truly believe and accept God as our Lord and Savior, when we give up our lives for Him, there is no one else we need. God created us and made us what we are from before we were conceived, He chooses us. Like Salina said: "So if you want to get a satisfactory answer, you'll have to ask God Himself. "St. Scholastica was absolutely pure her entire life and lived for Jesus as a nun. Her life of faithfulness was hidden with Christ in God". "Virgin" was brought up because today is her memorial.

Yvonne & Barbara Respond to comment
February 10, 2021 at 12:09 PM

We are marveling at the truth that God started the world with only ONE person! My mother and I are finding community together this morning and with you all on the computer - we are grateful for that connection!

February 10, 2021 at 10:25 AM

Tillie
February 10, 2021 at 04:56 PM

Maggie, You're not alone, there are many of us that feel the same way but it is nice and comforting to share and chat here on Living Faith Family.

Maggie Dunn
February 10, 2021 at 11:12 AM

I realized just yesterday how isolated I was feeling even with Zoom Bible Study. I’ve been using FB to chat

February 10, 2021 at 09:40 AM

David, I love your question about Sabbath from yesterday! I love questions, period :-) I have to serve the BSF students this morning in about 20 min. I will come back this afternoon...

david
February 11, 2021 at 12:50 AM

Thank you, Salina. Don't feel obligated it's just a question that came to mind.

Yvonne & Barbara
February 10, 2021 at 01:32 PM

Maggie, we know how that feels. Glad to connect with you here!

manuela Curran Respond to comment
February 10, 2021 at 09:24 AM

amen, and well stated

February 10, 2021 at 09:14 AM

Living Faith Community, thank you for these great answers, I love how Jo shares a wonderfully reflection with us, then questions arise with all correct answers, everyone chiming in with their faith, front and center, WOW, It just shows that The Living Faith Community is on FIRE for God. I am so blessed, I thank our God everyday for each and every one of you, here in the Living Faith Community. Amen. In today’s first reading from Genesis, we see the creation of us and the simple, but tempting rules handed down to us by our God. What order, rule to follow, is our God giving to each us today? Are we listening, are we following those rules, commandments given to each us by our God? These are all for our own good, not God’s. There is no better time to reflect on these rules, commandments in our faith life to follow, than right now, as we enter into Lent next week. Take a moment and read these rules, commandments. A good practice is to say them 1-10 then 10-1. But what is so great, is that Jesus came and gave us, reminded us of that the first two and really sum up them all. That is my challenge to all of you this Lent, let us reflect on 1-10 and then 10-1 and especially paying close attention on 1 and 2. In todays Gospel Jesus is again sharing with us what was followed in the Old Testament when it came to foods and their preparation of those foods. Jesus had to explain in detail to his disciplines exactly what he meant in his parable that he shared with them in today’s message, of clean/unclean. Jesus is the NEW covenant, the old rules of clean and unclean are no longer in play. There is one who came to live among us, to teach us and show us a better way, a more realistic way to live and look at our lives of faith. Oh, how true are his words to each of us today are, that what we consume and bring into our bodies do not make us sin, rather what comes from within our thoughts and actions comes from us, creates sin and I am sad to say it defines who we are. Do we want our sins to define who we are, or all of the good we try to live by each day be our examples. This week we can see by these messages, that Jesus wants to wake us up before we enter next week, the beginning of Lent. Come to him, reflect, pray with him. Spend some quality time with him, do we hear him talking to us, if not we are not close enough, moving to fast. Each of us are not guaranteed today, tomorrow, just this moment. Let us Put God First in our lives, ask for his forgiveness and ready ourselves to what is to come. Lent will help us in our preparation to the cross. Praying for each and everyone of you, the Living Faith Community, for those, who are many that have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in purgatory that they may see and touch the face of Christ this day in Heaven. Have a blessed day everyone, AMEN.

February 10, 2021 at 08:46 AM

How true that comment is. We are witnessing that today. We need to all wake us. Amen Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Father, in the name of Jesus, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves). Your kingdom must come now. Your will must be done right now as in the heavens also on earth. Amen

February 10, 2021 at 08:30 AM

February 10, 2021 at 08:01 AM

A VIRGIN is someone who has kept Their heart and their body for the Lord! It is someone who lives totally for Jesus and for his live alone! There are many saints who are virgins and possibly even martyrs but their virginity stands out, it is a choice of life to remain chaste for the Lord! This is a Calling, A great gift from the Lord and a lifestyle that is different from the world! Not everyone can live this way only those who are called to it By the Lord!

February 10, 2021 at 07:12 AM

February 10, 2021 at 09:32 AM

You are right again, Troy! The Scripture mentions virgins as men and women in 2 Corinthians 11:1-2, "I hope you (men and women in Corinth) will put up with me (Paul) in a little foolishness. Yes, please put up with me! I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to Him." I am very sure that not all the Corinthians Paul spoke to were physically 'virgins.'

Troy
February 10, 2021 at 09:00 AM

and did you notice that only the women are emphasized as virgins. So why not bring it up to some of the men. Men can be virgins too.

azmom
February 10, 2021 at 07:58 AM

Troy, the Church emphasizes virginity simply to honor the fact that this person gave her entire body and soul to Jesus Christ. It is a title that elevates a person from the earthly realm to a heavenly one.

February 10, 2021 at 07:46 AM

Good morning Troy, you don't like the fact she was a virgin or any other person a virgin? I think it says 'virgin' to me is like a title as in Ms or Mrs. It means she was not married, that's all! You think there is a different meaning? Actually I label myself as Mrs Salina to my BSF students so they know I am married and that they can call me Salina (less formal) instead of Mrs Smith :-) Don't be distracted by what you don't like but focus on the One Who is our focus! It is not what you see going into your head but what comes out from your heart.

February 10, 2021 at 06:20 AM

I have many gaps. I call on God’s mercy and the Holy Spirit to fill in the gaps to bring as close to a whole person as I can be here on this earth.

February 10, 2021 at 09:24 AM

Hey Troy, I find exactly what you are refering to in the parable of the ten virgins! Matthew 25:1-2, "At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish and five were wise." Questions: Why me? Why not me? Why virgin? Why not virgin? Why bring it up? Why not bring it up? Why ask? Why not ask? To be or not to be.......Remember I said I love questions, I really do! So here is what I find to share with you in https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-virginity.html, "The Bible’s emphasis is not so much on a technical or medical definition of virginity as it is on the condition of a person’s heart. The morality we espouse and the actions we choose give evidence of our heart’s condition. The Bible’s standard is clear: celibacy before marriage and monogamy after marriage." Read more about Saint Scholastica, and see if you can find out why Living Faith mentions 'virgin' in the title. Troy, from the bottom of my heart I like to hear from you more often on this site :-) I like questions that make me think deeper and grow into my faith!

February 10, 2021 at 08:55 AM

I agree with you, Troy, that non-virgins can be just as dedicated to God as a virgin! Just as virgins can be NOT as dedicated as non-virgins to God!!! I love questions and I appreciate your question :-) So if you want to get a satisfactory answer, bring it to the Holy Spirit and He will answer your question to your satisfaction :-) Because no one else can.......

Troy