February 9, 2021
To Pause and Rest
Since on the seventh day God was finished with the work he had been doing, he rested on the seventh day from all the work he had undertaken.
Genesis 2:2

God’s work of creation was completed. Rest followed. Why do I hesitate to do the same? What keeps me from really being leisurely and not just completing one job in order to accomplish another? My German heritage and a father’s insistent voice telling us farm children that “no one plays until the work is done” keeps a strong hold on me. But it’s more than that. I live in a western world constantly catapulted into feverish activity. How difficult it is for most people to not give in to an urge to be overly occupied. To deliberately go slower, to pause for a while, to be still—this is not a luxury for the soul. It is a necessity. If we are to live at a deeper level and be aware of what stirs within us, we must have times of stillness to recognize how the Spirit moves in our lives.

- Sr. Joyce Rupp

Genesis 1:20—2:4a • Psalm 8:4-9 Mark 7:1-13

Comments

February 9, 2021 at 04:52 PM

Thank you for your devotion today, Sr. Joyce. Busy lives, busy times. We have to realize we do have a pause button on our lives. Even for a moment, an hour, a day we must slow down and spend quiet times with the Lord. He is waiting for us, you know. Continued prayers for our Living Faith family.

February 9, 2021 at 11:21 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Please Holy Father help our country to be victorious. Father, in the name of Jesus, we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies radar and scramble the enemies' frequencies (airwaves). Your Kingdom must come now your will must be done right now as in the heavens also on earth. Amen

February 9, 2021 at 09:54 AM

Sometimes I wonder if this pandemic is one way the Lord is telling us to slow down. Spend more time with your family, cooking your meals at home and eating around the table, stop looking for happiness in shopping everyday and, most importantly spend more time with our Lord. Hopefully, when we return to normal we will have learned to rest and not return to the feverish activity that distracts us away from God. Thank you, Sister Joyce. A blessed day and continued prayers for all.

February 9, 2021 at 09:30 AM

Saying one thing and doing or thinking of another. This is what we hear in today’s Gospel message. The religious leaders were more interested in themselves and their transitions. They only went so far in their actions to please themselves. I have come up short in this area many times, rush to judgment vs. my own actions. Saying one thing and doing another. Oh how common this is still in our word today. Let us stop to pause and take account some of our past actions, wheel we begin preparing for the entrance of the Lenten Season. Throw the bad out with the bath water. Begin a new, by reflecting on our ways where we did not live up to what we were preaching. Let us become more like Christ and imitate him. Let’s us do what we say and share with other what we have learned from Jesus. Have a blessed day, praying for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory that they may be reunited with Christ in Heaven. Amen

david
February 9, 2021 at 06:29 PM

Tim, I would like to ask you a question and don't worry if you do not know the answer. Since God rested on the Sabbath we know that God never really rest since he is God. Is there another deeper meaning of God's rest of the Sabbath? I would normally ask Salina but she is not on the site today.

February 9, 2021 at 08:40 AM

Amen. Be still and know that He is God.

david
February 11, 2021 at 12:30 AM

Thank you, Tim. I really appreciate it.

Tim
February 10, 2021 at 09:29 AM

David, both Salina and myself do not have all of the answers, only what we believe is our understandings. When God speaks of rest of the seventh day of creation, what you are referring as the Sabbath, I do believe God did step back and said, what he had just created was good, everlasting , therefore it was complete finished, time for rest. Our Faith tells us, reminds us that we too are his creation within and we too need to step back, rest and say thank you for everything he has given, taught to us this week. We can do this by our faith and give honor and glory to our God. Come and worship him in church and at the alter, where he is present to each of us. So, yes it is certainly possible for God to step back on the seventh day of creation, see all of the goodness he created and say this is good, it is finished now it it is time to rest today for tomorrow is another day in paradise. I hope this helps, Amen

February 9, 2021 at 08:19 AM

February 9, 2021 at 08:08 AM

Sunday was always a day of rest or “family” day for us. A day to the beach, a ride in the country, or just sitting on the porch or yard talking with one another. Our Sundays always started with Mass and then the day was ours to spend time together. This reflection is a good reminder that we need to “ step back” away from all the distractions in our world. God set the example of taking a day off and so should we. Amen.

February 9, 2021 at 08:08 AM

Thank you for the reminder, Sr. Joyce, to pause, to rest a while in the arms of Christ. God Bless!

February 9, 2021 at 08:01 AM

Stillness and being quiet and resting is such a gift that I have learned so much more because of this pandemic! I stay home more than going out and shopping etc. I like to stay home more! I might have an option to go out to Walmart or whatever and I said to myself no I think I’ll just stay home and rest! That is a gift and believe it or not because of the pandemic! I became more and more used to staying home and loving it!! So good things can come out of horrible things if we let the Lord teach us in the moment! Thank you Lord for this gift. Amen

February 9, 2021 at 07:22 AM

I really needed to read this today. I feel like I am spinning in so many directions and sometimes feel completely exhausted from it. I need to slow down and take time to be really present in the moment. Time for God, time for others, and time for enjoying the moment.

February 9, 2021 at 05:51 AM

Amen :) Prayers for the LFF :)

February 9, 2021 at 05:36 AM

Thank you Sr. Joyce your devotion. * I love what you wrote: "If we are to live at a deeper level and be aware of what stirs within us, we must have times of stillness to recognize how the Spirit moves in our lives. Thank you for reminding me "To Pause and Rest". I agree "To deliberately go slower, to pause for a while, to be still—this is not a luxury for the soul. It is a necessity". God Bless our Living Faith Family.