February 8, 2021
St. Jerome Emiliani, St. Josephine Bakhita
Then and Now
In the beginning…a mighty wind swept over the waters.
Genesis 1:1-2

The creation story in Genesis was written thousands of years ago. Does the Declaration of Independence seem ancient? Genesis is many times older. Its writers didn’t know what science has since learned about the earth, water, sky, sun and stars. But oh, they knew the creative presence of God, the feel of the mighty wind stirring the depths, the tender force of the hand that forms and orders all things. They saw the poetic harmony among all the different parts of the world we know, and the beyond we are aware of but don’t yet know.

The Spirit of “the beginning” is the Spirit of now. There is no other. And the gospel shows us that all this radiates in the person of Jesus—who brings the same wind, force, power, tenderness and healing presence by which God breathed life into us and our world.

Lord, as you share with us your divine presence, may we, too, become radiant for others.

- Mary Marrocco

Genesis 1:1-19 • Psalm 104:1-2, 5-6, 10, 12, 24, 35 Mark 6:53-56

Comments

February 8, 2021 at 02:56 PM

Thank you Mary for your devotion. * Today’s Gospel reports Jesus healing many people at Gennesaret. We hear that people brought the sick from all over the region and all of them were cured. Contemporary theologians and Bible commentators have tried to explain away the miracles of Jesus as spiritual symbols. But I think it’s hard to deny that the first Christians were faithful and intensely interested in the miracles of Jesus, and that they didn’t see them as mere literary symbols! They saw them for what they really were: the almighty majestic power, and actions of God, breaking into our world. God Bless our Living Faith Family.

February 8, 2021 at 10:44 AM

Living Faith family starting o new Novena this morning will share Novena to the Holy Souls in Purgatory Oh holy souls in purgatory, you are the certain heirs of heaven. You are most dear to Jesus as the trophies of His Precious Blood and to Mary, mother of mercy. Obtain for me through your intercession the grace to lead a holy life, to die a happy death and to attain to the blessedness of eternity in heaven. Dear suffering souls, who long to be delivered in order to praise and glorify God in heaven, by your unfailing pity help me in the needs which distress me at this time, particularly... so that I may obtain relief and assistance from God. In gratitude for your intercession I offer to God in your behalf the satisfactory merits of my prayer and work, my joys and sufferings of this day (week, month, or whatever space of time you wish to designate). Ken

Linda B.
February 8, 2021 at 11:01 AM

Thank you kjc. I love your novena. Since I live many miles away from my father, we pray for the soul of his wife, my mother throughout the year by phone. Sometimes it is while we are standing at the gravesite. She is buried at a National Cemetery and the site there is overwhelming, a sea of grave markers of so very many souls who have served our country and/or their spouses. When I look out over the vast cemetery, I am called to pray for all who are laid to rest there, but emotions cloud my thinking and I struggle for words. With your permission, I would love to copy your novenas for my prayers. Blessings, Christ is smiling down on you.

February 8, 2021 at 09:54 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Please Holy Father help our country to be victorious. Father in the name of Jesus we ask that you release your warrior angels and heavenly hosts. We decry and declare that they would take us off the enemies radar and scramble the enemies frequencies (airwaves) Your Kingdom must come now your will must be done right now as in the heavens also on earth. Amen

kjc
February 8, 2021 at 03:14 PM

Linda B. yes yes yes please copy and share. It is not mine but from catholic.com I am also a Vet and plan on having my ashes (cremains) joined together with my deceased Wife and best friend for 47 years Kathy in the new vets cemetery in Western NY. We have decided to donated our bodies to the local UB med school. I am still not a robot Ken

CC
February 8, 2021 at 11:04 AM

Amen

February 8, 2021 at 10:09 AM

:-) I am smiling at your tenacious requests, A sinner! Reminds me of James 1:2c, "You do not have because you do not ask God!"

February 8, 2021 at 08:56 AM

Who was/were there in the beginning? God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit! Who would know what information about the beginning? God, the Fahter, the Son and the Holy Spirit! Who provided the information to write about the beginning? God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit! ***God said seven times in the six days of creation, "God saw that it was ('very good' on the sixth day) good!" (Genessi 1:4a, 10c, 12c, 18c, 21c, 25c, 31b) ***As I study Genesis this year in BSF, I learn so much more about God and most of all I learn about myself: *1)Where did I come from? God created us - Genesis 1:27, "God created mankind in His own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female He created them. *2) Why am I here? We are here to have a relationship with God - Genesis 15:6, "Abram believed the Lord, and He (God) credited it to him (Abram) as righteousness." *3) Where am I going? We have a destination after death - Genesis 25:8, "Then Abraham breathed his last and died at a good old age, an old man and full of years; and he was gathered to his people." ***Bottomline: It is all about God that I am here before I was born, during this life time and after I die...having a relationship with God before, during and after meaning forever because God has no beginning and no end, and time has no constraint on Him :-) ***My prayer, "How many are Your works, Lord! In wisdom You made them all; the earth is full of Your creatures...Praise the Lord, my soul. Praise the Lord! Amen! (Psalm 104:24, 35c) ***10000 reason (Bless The Lord) https://youtu.be/qCpCRgMN-tE

February 8, 2021 at 08:29 AM

February 8, 2021 at 08:10 AM

Let us come to him, all who need to be healed. Our faith knows if only I can tough his tassel on his garment I will be healed. In today’s Gospel we see this strong faith, many wanted to be healed by Jesus. As we prepare for the upcoming lenten season, let us prepare our hearts to reach out to Jesus with faith to him in our lives we may be full of life again. Storms will get in the way for sure, but if we remain close to him, mind spirit and body we may become united with him and our faith will grow so that we too may grow strong. How are we going to prepare for our journey with Christ. How are we going to approach this lenten season, so that we may walk with him on his journey to the cross and resurrection. Let us pray for the strength, wisdom and understanding today so we may be prepared. Praying for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of of the souls in Purgatory. Amen

February 8, 2021 at 01:18 PM

I love all your Bible references, Ken :-) You have done your home work! 1. Upon meeting Simon, Jesus gave him a new name: Cephas (Aramaic) or Peter (Greek), which means “rock” 2. Yes, Peter was married! 1 Corinthians 9:5, "Don’t we (Paul and Barnabas) have the right to bring a believing wife (Paul was never married) with us as the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers do, and as Peter does?" 3. I don't have an answer for you, Ken! May be Tim or others do? I think there were as many as 39 popes who were married? I believe the Council of Trent reaffirmed the tradition (men's not God's) of celibacy. You need to study the history of early church which was so messed up with political and religious powers. I failed history in school, period :-) ***Praying for Louis that God's presence, provision and power be with him as he grieves for his loss this past year, Amen!

kjc
February 8, 2021 at 10:10 AM

Tim, Salina, I always enjoy your comments they are encouraging and helpful. Now I need you two and the Living Faith family help with some questions. 1. Is Simon in the new testament the same as Peter and Cephas? Mathew 4:18 If yes go to #2 2. Was Simon married? Mark 1:30 and Luke 4:38 3 Why can't priest be married? If the first Pope was married Mathew 16:18 Help me understand. Pray for feeble minded Ken Last week one of my client was leaving his appointment and I asked how his year was and he (Louis) said it was a bad year, covid 19, and he lost is wife, and his grandson was shot and killed. Please join me in keeping him and his family in your prayers Please pray for the health care workers and their families and the soul in Purgatory and those Who have no one to pray for them. Ken

February 8, 2021 at 08:05 AM

Amen. :)

Tim
February 8, 2021 at 06:29 PM

Ken, yes and Peter was married. As we heard in scripture this past Sunday, Jesus healed Peters mother in law, many were waiting out side Peter's house to be healed also by Jesus. Why priest cannot be married is a great question, one that I do not have the answer to. I have always said it would make them more rounded in serving their flocks, especially in dealing with subjects that affect married couples. As we see in scripture what Paul felt about marriage. he was not a big fan. Also, offering up a prayer for your friend/client. Amen

February 8, 2021 at 07:31 AM

Thank you, Mary, for your encouragement to become radiant to others! God bless!

Carmel
February 8, 2021 at 02:09 PM

Thank you Mary for the above reflection. In God's presence. Prayers and for all.