February 7, 2021
Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Winning Me Over
Although I am free in regard to all, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible.
1 Corinthians 9:19

My pastor and I weren’t seeing eye to eye. The parish council meetings usually didn’t have an agenda. Many of the office staffers seemed incompetent. I made sure he knew my views—I, who had been with the parish for less than a year—and we stopped speaking.

I dreaded hosting a home Mass for a group I was involved in because I knew he’d be the celebrant, but there was no way out of it. When he arrived, I nodded and moved on. But he stopped me. “I wonder if you’d help me with my writing,” the pastor said. And in that moment, I saw the humility in him—and the log in my own eye. He had made himself a slave to Christ at a level I couldn’t have imagined. He won me over.

Jesus, help me to humble myself that others might see you through me.

- Melanie Rigney

Job 7:1-4, 6-7 • Psalm 147:1-6 1 Corinthians 9:16-19, 22-23 • Mark 1:29-39

Comments

February 7, 2021 at 08:40 PM

Very beautiful, Melanie; "He had made himself a slave to Christ at a level I couldn’t have imagined. He won me over."

February 7, 2021 at 11:21 AM

It is good to reflect on that moment when you realized that priests and those in the religious life are truly human. Once you allow yourself to see their flaws, it will help you to see and work on your own. Jesus became human to truly show us the way!

February 7, 2021 at 09:44 AM

Preach the Gospel, the Good News, today or life is a drudgery for me!!! So I share with you what touched me this week in an email written by someone I met long ago, Mary Beth Pecora is the sister of the two women I met when I was in an evening Bible study at a Catholic Church in PA. https://mybelovedsvoice.com/encouragement/posts/f/fully-usable "*In the last days, My Church shall rise to the things I've called them to, for I shall bring forth my Bride. *So advance My children and keep marching on; you'll know where you are going and know that I have won. *So stay focused and united as one; continue in the things I've told you and many will come. *I urge you to be usable and oh so strong; you're My army that needs to show others to belong. *I've called you family, so accept each other; your DNA now is for My sister and My brother. *Position yourself to be as one; delight in gathering together you'll win as I have won. *Embrace your call to equip My Bride; My Spirit shall enable you so you don't have to strive. *Learn of Me to hear My voice; I'll give you direction with each God-given choice. *There shall be days of feeling My strength and stride; then days of wondering where you should run and hide. *But don't retreat and back down; your armor has been given to be worn without a frown. *Your weapons are to be activated and held in place; there's territory to be taken, it begins with grace. *Your eyes shall see My kingdom come; as heaven descends and you see where you're from. *You're from the lineage of Jesus, the Glorious Son; Whom has come for all of mankind to be one (won). *One family, an army to display; My glory is upon you without dismay. *Heaven comes to earth and you'll see My power; as heavens blessings will be released in the final hours. *So in this season discover who you are; My Bride, My church, My coming is not that afar. *There's work to be done; and people to be saved; so stop your fighting and join in the parade. *The parade of believers of yet to come in; to be released from their lifestyles and cleansed from their sin. *You're bought with a price, so heed the call; it's been My intention since the garden and the fall. *My plans are the same; My mission hasn't changed; so get moving and don't be afraid to rearrange. *The change you'll see as My presence descends; on this My children, you must depend. *For it's not by might, nor power of your own; it's the power that is released from My throne. *I'm still ruling and reigning and in charge of it all; don't let distractions keep you from My plans or My call. *Join with those who are of like-mind; those brothers and sisters who love to be kind. *Their meekness and humility are always seen; this is not a weakness, it's My love that makes men clean. *Embrace My call to change your world; I'm heading up the army so stay strong and bold. *Quit pointing the finger and wanting to be right; grab hold of My humility and you'll soar and take flight. *Soaring above and over it all; it's part of My ascending to keep you standing tall. *Not for others to see and exalt; but for My glory to be released, for you are My salt. *The salt is for the world to see; that I died on a cross and hung from that tree. *So don't lose sight of your original call; to go into the world with My love releasing to all." Amen!!!

david
February 7, 2021 at 08:42 PM

Your words are calm, Salina. I enjoyed the reading.

February 7, 2021 at 09:14 AM

Job, speaks of suffering day and night. It seems to him that they just blend together the misery that he is experiencing. But there is hope, we know the rest of the story. When our lives seem out of control, everywhere we turn seems to be just another uphill battle, do not lose faith, he is still near us. He has not left us, just that we need to somehow to get through the storm, by coming to him for help, guidance. He love us and forgives us, he wants us to grow in faith and come to him freely. Take courage, he knows everything that has happen in our lives, what is going to happen and wants us to come to him in pure faith. Listen to him he wants to tell us all about his Father, this is why he came. Let us come down off our horse and be humble today, listen at the feet of Jesus. Even Jesus needed to come to his Father and pray, to be humble and listen. When life gives us storms, remember it gave Job a lot more than that to deal with each day and night. We can make it through our storms to the other side, the light. Jesus has prepared a way for each of us. Take some time, put him first today and talk to him, he is listening. If we cannot hear him, we need to come closer. Prayers for our Living Faith Family, for those who do not have anyone to pray for them, and for all of the souls in Purgatory that they be reunited with Jesus in Heaven today. Amen

david
February 7, 2021 at 08:49 PM

Tim, I really enjoyed your message its what I needed to hear for reinforcement of my path to trust Jesus and the Father.

February 7, 2021 at 08:27 AM

I once read that Satan can imitate every virtue except one. He can never imitate humility. Humility is at the heart of our faith. I have learned through the years not to listen to what people say, but watch what they do. Their actions are everything, because anyone can spout pretty words.

david
February 7, 2021 at 09:01 PM

Mother Teresa's teaching on humility is to let the other person talk and we should listen. This is how she explain's for us to practice humility. If we want to be heard and talk more than listen, it is our ego that want's to be heard and we are not practicing humility.

Jo
February 7, 2021 at 10:01 AM

Tim, I don’t think you were “listening” to Azmom! What she was saying was that people say a lot of things -they promise this they promise that -they say this they say that, but watch what they do, how they live their life, How they neglect to put into life what they say… we all need to back up what we say by the life we live! If we say to everyone we must be kind and generous, then we must be kind and generous! Words are words but actions lead to changes in peoples lives! We love more by example than we do by just a mere words!

Tim
February 7, 2021 at 09:00 AM

AZmom thank you for your message and how true your words are for all of us. It is better to listen than be the one always speaking. How can we get to know others if we are the only one talking. Stop listen, you will be amazed on what we can hear, learn and apply to our own lives. Thank you AZ Mom.

February 7, 2021 at 07:33 AM

Thank you so much, Melanie, for your powerful lesson on humility! God Bless

Kevyn Mary
February 7, 2021 at 09:03 AM

Melanie
February 7, 2021 at 08:52 AM

Thanks for the kind words, LF friends, and you are in my prayers today. This priest taught me and many others so much, the most by example like this. He's since died, but his Christ-filled life continues to inspire. Blessings, Melanie

February 7, 2021 at 06:28 AM

Wow and Amen...

Tiffanie Fornea Respond to comment
February 7, 2021 at 02:57 AM

If you are most humble, God gives you the wonderful gift of his love as well as, "Grace in your heart".