grouplicense
grouplicense
February 5, 2021
St. Agatha
Reasons to be Happy
Let your life be free from love of money but be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never forsake you or abandon you.”
Hebrews 13:5

In its proper place, money can offer comfort, freedom, generosity, service and fun. It’s when money is out of proper priority—when we love the blessings more than the One who blesses, when we love stuff more than the Source—that trouble ensues.

This verse contains an important clue for keeping a proper perspective on prosperity: “Be content with what you have.” Make it a point to practice gratitude. It is a powerful catalyst for alignment and well-being. When we are thankful for what we have, we create an abundance mindset that gives God the credit. Gratitude cannot coexist with fear or lack.

A regular part of my daily devotion is my gratitude practice: I make a list in my journal of things I am thankful for. This small, consistent action has changed my life.

We tend to find what we are looking for; why not start the day looking for reasons to be happy?

- Kristin Armstrong

Hebrews 13:1-8 • Psalm 27:1, 3, 5, 8-9 Mark 6:14-29

Comments

February 5, 2021 at 12:53 PM

Thank you all for sharing. Gina, I am going to kibbutz and also use Grateful” as my way of life for 2021 ( and beyond).

February 5, 2021 at 11:45 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Please Holy Father, help our country to be victorious.

February 5, 2021 at 11:22 AM

I have a different take this morning, "when we love the blessings more than the One who blesses!" It reminds me what I do a lot which is I tend to thank God for WHAT (the blessings) He gives and provides in my grateful prayers...BUT I have learned that praying that way IS loving and focuing on the blessings even though I was thanking God in the same breath. *What if God does not give me anything but pain and suffering or He does not bless me with laughters, security, or health, but sadness, insecurity and sickness? *What if my life is a mess and there is noting to be thankful for but problems one after another? *What do I thank Him for and how can I be grateful then? ***I learn to discover God's character in His Word and His promises, and not on what He did, does or will do for me (if that makes sense?). I learn to recconize and name His character when I read His Word and His stories! ***So even when I do not receive the things promised; And I can only see them and welcomed them from a distance, so I can still live by faith when I die admitting that I am just a foreigner and stranger on earth! (Hebrews 11:13) ***Today, I learn that God is my helper; He is the same yesterday, today, and forever; my light and my salvation; my life’s refuge; my protector; Giver of harvest; He is still on the throne when bad things happen! ******* 1)You see, money is not the problem but the love of money is in 1 Timothy 6:10, "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs!" 2)You see, blessings are not the reason we are grateful but Who God was, is and ever shall be! 3)The ultimate blessing that God has given is the new life and forgiveness that comes through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ. The material blessings (happiness) we enjoy from day to day are temporary, but the spiritual blessings (joy) available to us in Christ encompass time and eternity, as well as material and immaterial things! (https://www.gotquestions.org/blessing-Bible.html) ***Dear Lord, I ask for "JOY" and not "HAPPINESS" as in James 1:2-4, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." You are my blessing even when you don't take me out of the difficult situations because I know You are God and You are good :-) Amen! ***Only Jesus by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/VXIBP2BdYR8

david
February 5, 2021 at 06:04 PM

Lk 8:15 "Blessed are they who have kept the word with a generous heart, and yield a harvest through perseverance."

February 5, 2021 at 11:30 AM

How many of God's attributes can you name in your prayers? I know by Big Daddy Weave https://youtu.be/j25JqWgjDF4

February 5, 2021 at 11:22 AM

I have enjoyed Living Faith for many years and, like today, when the meditation is especially good and speaks to me, I realize that Kristin Armstrong wrote it. I was a big fan of her former husband and still admire him for his relentless efforts for cancer research. I admire Kristin for being such a strong woman and devoted Catholic.

February 5, 2021 at 09:38 AM

Desires of the material world over God we all know is not right and just. Rather if we have been blessed with graces and gifts from our Lord Jesus Christ, we are expected to use them to their fullest, sharing them with others. The money and gifts we received, we are to be good stewards for God and his people. There are many ways to give to others that what has been given to us. There are so many in need before COVID and especially now as a result of the pandemic. Let us keep focused on what is God expects of his loyal and good servants. Riches are not bad when we use them the way Jesus has taught us. Never put anything ahead of God, put him first and never put material possessions, nor an event before what is right and just with our Lord Jesus Christ. He deserves so much more than that in our lives. Live each day as it was your last, giving thanks and be a better person to all. Come and pray with Jesus one on one, so you too may hear his voice. Dear Jesus thank you for all of the graces and gifts given to this lowly servant, who is most grateful. Hear our prayers today for our Living Faith Family, those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they be reunited with Christ in Heaven today. Amen

February 5, 2021 at 08:55 AM

I agree whole heartily, I always wanted to own a boat, I was fortunate enough to own one large enough that you could spend the weekend on it. I was asked one Sunday morning by a fellow boater, Where are you and your children going? I stopped and told them, We are going to church (That was when churches were open).. I also told them ... I figure if God was generous enough to fulfill a wish of mine, the least I can do is to give an hour of time from my boating weekend to Thank and Worship God. His Girl friend hit him on the arm and said see!, That's a good thing.

February 5, 2021 at 08:33 AM

Amen! Thank you for the reminder to always be thankful!

February 5, 2021 at 08:16 AM

Amen! :)

February 5, 2021 at 07:39 AM

I have a favorite saying “it’s not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy”.

Gayle
February 5, 2021 at 09:14 AM

Love it!

KenB
February 5, 2021 at 08:09 AM

This theme on gratefulness reminds me of so many insights from others about priorities in our lives. Starting with the one this morning “...gratefulness makes you happy.” I recall the words (now to me an anthem) from “A sinner” in this forum over the years calling attention to the gifts, among others, of forgiveness and reconciliation. Many prayers of thanksgiving—this one has been heard at our Thanksgiving Day table: Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family, For the laughter of children, For the abundance of food on this table, For those who prepared it, For the roof over our heads, The clothes on our backs, For our health, For this opportunity to celebrate with family and friends, For today's Gospel about the ten lepers you cleansed, For your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. For the freedom to pray these words Without fear, In any language, In any faith, In this great country, Thank You, God, for giving us all these blessings. Amen

February 5, 2021 at 06:41 AM

Gratitude can truly effect our day to day decision making. It is important to remind yourself of the origin of our blessings and life.

Paul
February 5, 2021 at 09:42 AM

Love this prayer. Made me smile and for that I am grateful.

February 5, 2021 at 06:32 AM

This is such a great reminder that God is our provider. I think that "grateful" will be my word for 2021.

EM
February 5, 2021 at 12:00 PM

Amen Gina! Prayers for all.

Sandi
February 5, 2021 at 08:06 AM

Thanks for the great idea. “Grateful” is my 2021 word. Thanks be to God and Living Faith friends

February 5, 2021 at 07:57 AM

Gina I agree we should always be thankful for the gifts we have been given. My second graders would sing the "Wonder song " every class each Sunday morning. We are not meeting now and I miss them. Nevertheless I still sing the song whenever I am in my car alone. Look it up on utube " wonders I see " Living faith family I will pray for you guys right now. Please pray for the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and their families. I am still not a robot Ken

B.T.