February 4, 2021
Just a Walking Stick
He instructed them to take nothing for the journey but a walking stick… “Whatever place does not welcome you or listen to you, leave there and shake the dust off your feet in testimony against them.”
Mark 6:8, 11

When Jesus commissioned the apostles, they were sent out with little more than what was on their backs. No money, no food, a pair of sandals and not even an extra tunic… just a walking stick. They were supposed to make their way among the poor and the privileged by begging. If some didn’t respond positively to their message, so be it. Jesus told them not to worry about the nonbelievers—move on. Others will be receptive, he assured them. The other part of this “commissioning” that amazes me is that none of these disciples had much experience in this new line of work. Some were poor, uneducated fishermen. But after watching Jesus for three years, they had learned a lot. So off they went preaching and teaching the faith to all comers, facing certain danger and persecution. Through their efforts, their energy, their courage, Christianity grew rapidly, and the world would never be the same

- Paul Pennick

Hebrews 12:18-19, 21-24 • Psalm 48:2-4, 9-11 Mark 6:7-13

Comments

February 4, 2021 at 02:56 PM

At the time, fisherman, customs posts, and doctors were very important, strong work-ethic positions in the culture. Not the snarky and holier-than-thou scribes, pharisees (Saint Paul) and politically corrupt Sanhedrin. Yes, Jesus had Standards, in line with God's, when he hand-picked these men of God in the making. Let's take a Listen today too, as we move forward, grow up, and move on.

February 4, 2021 at 02:26 PM

Pretty powerful message. We can tend to being caught up in the unknowns...not knowing how to share/talk to others about Jesus or our faith. This cuts through the know how and goes right to truth. Move on if what you shared isn't well received or believed. No need to worry about what you may have said or how could you have done better. Thanks for your insight.

February 4, 2021 at 01:38 PM

Paul, thank you for your inspiring devotion. * Many Christians have accepted Jesus as Lord, been converted, and even have been baptized in the Holy Spirit. Yet still the great harvest has few workers. Few have ever trusted the Lord so as to go forth without any crutches, totally dependent on Him. However, this is basic training for Christian ministry. This may be the cause of our problem, the great harvest with few workers. We don’t need more training as much as more trusting. We don’t need more crutches; instead we need to lean more about Jesus. In our weakness, His power will reach perfection (2 Cor 12:9). We don’t need more “stuff,” but more faith. Jesus sent out the Twelve to battle dark spirits. He still empowers his Church to do the same. Don’t be hesitant to use the weapons—and the healing balms—that he has given us. God Bless our Living Faith.

Margaret
February 4, 2021 at 02:29 PM

Really well stated Tillie - as usual. Thanks for sharing!

February 4, 2021 at 12:46 PM

I witnessed discipleship on Tuesday evening. I had an appointment for my first COVID vaccination injection. We had to travel 50 miles to the site and I was becoming anxious, unsure of what the process would be like. My prayer engine kicked in. My feelings of calm and peace set in. Upon arrival, I began to understand God’s message to me relax, I got this. Indeed God did. It was a very large, very organized site with a sea of many tents, well marked path for hundreds of cars to move through. The disciples were in place at different stopping points along the path to the actual injection site. Those people showed kindness, patience, care, and understanding all the way through the process to the very end. Thank you dear Father in Heaven for providing the many hands to develop and orchestrate this massive 24 hour, seven days a week process in the way you would Shepherd your people in their time of need. Amen

February 4, 2021 at 09:40 AM

What does the Gospel tell me today? 1)I don't need to be educated or familiar with the religious matters if I am summoned and sent by Jesus! 2)I don't need to prepare or save up to go on the mission whether it is local or far away prepared and provided by God 3)I just need to go and preach "Repentance!" (Mark 6:12) ***What is REPENTANCE? "The full biblical definition of repentance is a change of mind that results in a change of action." https://www.gotquestions.org/repentance.html ***When I asked the BSF students yesterday morning what Repentance means, they said, "Turning away from sin and turning towards God!" ***The BSF lesson this week also points out the difference between "Regret"and "Repent." Regret means I am so sad and sorry that things did not go my way! Repent means I am so sad and sorry that I did not do things God's ways and I will do things God's ways from now on! ***2021 is the year of Repentance - turning away from sin in doing things my way to turning towards God in doing things God's way! 2021 is not a year of Regret - I want things to go back to where it was before the pandemic complaining about the what, how and who! ***Luke 3:8, "Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God." ***Acts 3:19, "Now repent of your sins and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped away." ***Acts 26:20b, "that all must repent of their sins and turn to God—and prove they have changed by the good things they do!" *River by Jordan Feliz https://youtu.be/maT4phfTXR4

February 4, 2021 at 09:10 AM

Thank you Salina for taking the time and effort to answer my question! I pray for the courage the apostles had to go out and spread Christianity into the world. It is also comforting to hear the Lord's instruction to shake the dust from your feet if you're not welcomed. Also, a good antidote for those who worry or feel sad if someone does not welcome or listen to them....shake off the dust and move on to someone who will. A beautiful and blessed day to all.

February 4, 2021 at 10:43 AM

You are welcome, Sandy :-) I love questions because I ask a lot of them! So I appreciate the opportunity to learn from the Holy Spirit because of your question, Sandy! Now, I love to hear what the Holy Spirit has revealed to you and is teaching you because He does and He will as you ask Him :-) *Just to give you an example these past few weeks as I study Genesis about Abraham and Isaac, one of the attribute of God was "Impartial" which I haven't heard of before. The lessons talked about Abraham lied twice and Isaac lied once on the same thing, "They lied to Abimelech (not the same person, it's a title) that their wives were their sisters!" *What did God do? He 'punished' the people and families of Abimelech and both Abraham and Isaac ended up with more possessions than before! My question to God was, "How is it fair or impartial?" You see, I perceive 'fair' and 'impartial' being the same, but they are not just like 'discipline' and 'punishment' are not the same! *Here is what I learn about impartial - "God saves people regardless of what they have done or will do. He saves people who have families in church and people who do not. He saves people who are rich and those who are poor. He saves people who are smart and those who are not smart. He is ALWAYS fair! There is nothing anyone can do to force God's hand, or put God in their debt. God will always do right by every person, in every situation. No one will be able to blame God for His judgements!" Now I understnd why He did not take out all the evil people in this world.......because He is impartial!!! If He takes out all the evil people in the world, there will be no one left :-(

February 4, 2021 at 08:48 AM

All we need will be provided by God's grace and gifts to us who believe. Let our efforts for God be the result of using his graces and gifts given to us for others and his Kingdom. We will meet others in our life that do not want to hear the Good News, because their lives are just fine the way they are. This is until a storm come up. For these and many more we ask by the power of the Holy Spirit that by God's grace, that they come to some realization that it is better to be in the presence of God everyday. That we put him first in our lives and accept him into our hearts. My goal for everyone is to increase your relationship with God. Let him come into those hearts that may be harden for whatever reason. Turn away from our daily sins, where we in fact have come up short. Give praise and glory to him, we pray. Dear Jesus hear our most sincere prayers for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them, for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they may be reunited with Christ today in Heaven. Amen

February 4, 2021 at 08:17 AM

February 4, 2021 at 08:07 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Please Holy Father help our country to be victorious

February 4, 2021 at 08:03 AM

My uncle, Father Joe was a missionary priest in Africa. Ever three or four years, he would come home, with very little, to visitors his parents,my grandparents. He would tell his story of his life in Africa of how he and other missionaries were spreading the Word of God and asked for financial assistance to continue his work. Many people and church congregations were very open to his story and very generous,too. He died and is buried in Africa. This reflection reminded me of him and how important it is for us to continue to be strong in our faith, listening and spread the Word of God. Amen!

February 4, 2021 at 07:45 AM

“The world has never been the same.” I am so thankful to have God in my life. He will help me get through anything and everything. So nice to have a faith community here. Sometimes it’s hard to be a Christian in this pagan and hedonistic world.

February 4, 2021 at 05:50 AM

Amen! "Through their efforts,energy and courage, Christianity grew rapidly". Good morning and Blessings to The Living Faith Community :)