February 3, 2021
St. Blaise, St. Ansgar
Trust That God Will Answer
He was amazed at their lack of faith.
Mark 6:6

Jesus was visiting his relatives and neighbors, and you would think this would have been an ideal time for him to offer his gift of healing. But there was a serious problem! Many did not believe that Jesus could do anything for them, and so he could help only a few. He was amazed at their lack of faith. This story shows us that there is no healing without faith. There has to be an openness and a desire for the healing power of Jesus.

I think faith includes the trust that God will answer our prayers for healing in the way that is best for us, but that might not eliminate all of our sorrows. Jesus lived a life of love that had both joys and sorrows, and his final suffering gave way to resurrection. Jesus said to us, “Follow me.” If we follow, then his pathway will be ours. May this hope bring us peace.

- Fr. Kenneth Grabner, C.S.C.

Hebrews 12:4-7, 11-15 • Psalm 103:1-2, 13-14, 17-18 Mark 6:1-6

Comments

February 3, 2021 at 11:11 PM

Thank you, Father Kenneth. Your message is well accepted as I sometimes have difficulty in trusting, while in the mist of my problems, to see through the other side and that Jesus and the Father want me to trust them and what ever happens the outcome will be for my best interest.

February 3, 2021 at 06:20 PM

Fr. Kenneth, thank you for your beautiful devotion. * AMAZING FAITH, Jesus was amazed at the Syro-Phoenician woman’s faith (Mt 15:28). He was amazed at the centurion’s faith (Mt 8:10). He was amazed at the lack of faith of the people of Nazareth (Mk 6:6). How do we get amazing faith? 1) We must ask God for it. Faith is a fruit of the Spirit (the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness), (Gal 5:22). 2) We must accept the discipline of the Lord (Heb 12:5ff). That in itself gives evidence of our faith. By humbling ourselves and changing our lifestyles to obey the Lord’s commandments, we show that we believe the Lord is shaping our lives and we are in His hands. 3) We obey His commandments as set forth in the Bible, and the teachings of the Church. We actually call this “Faith.” May Jesus be amazed at our faith. May we accept eagerly the discipline of the Lord and trust in Him. Jesus, “increase our faith” (Lk 17:5). “Strive for peace with all men, and for that holiness without which no one can see the Lord.” —Heb 12:14

david
February 3, 2021 at 11:13 PM

Amen, Tillie.

February 3, 2021 at 02:02 PM

Mark 6:3, "Is He not the carpenter, the son of Mary, and the brother of James and Joseph and Judas and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?” And they took offense at Him." *What are they saying about Jesus and why? They were stucked with what they knew of Jesus growing up and they were not familiar with God's ways and God's Word (prophecy). How about me? Do I know God's ways and His Word that when Jesus comes back tomorrow or one day, I won't say, "Oh, He is just some preacher from TV!" *Sometimes familiarity breeds disrespect or contempt :-( My first thought was in a marriage or family relationship: The more I think I am familiar with my husband or family member, the more I assume. Not a good thing :-( You know how to spell assumem right?...ass...u...me! *Pretend Alzheimer's will be good with such mind set that we assume the worst based on our past experiences? *My faith is not based on my experiences with others but with God and God alone! How strong is my faith? It will have to depend on my past experiences with God :-) Here is my past experiences: God is faithful even when I am not; God's plan cannot be thwarted because of my mistakes; God will do what He has planned to do! To that I say Amen :-) ***Bless The Lord by Matt Redman https://youtu.be/DXDGE_lRI0E

February 3, 2021 at 01:14 PM

Thank you , Father, for voicing the belief I have in my heart but sometimes minimize.

February 3, 2021 at 10:43 AM

I've always been confused by today's reading. It says that our trials are God's discipline. Is that saying that when bad things happen to us we are being disciplined (punished) for something we did? Sometimes I find myself thinking when being tested, what have I done to warrant this happening in my life. Salina?

Sandy
February 3, 2021 at 07:06 PM

Thank you so much for your response, Salina! It helped and left room for a deeper reflection.

February 3, 2021 at 01:35 PM

I am with you, Sandy! And you know what? A lot of us feel the same way as you do (I did)...I thought when trials (bad things) happen, it means God's punishment to correct what I or others have done wrong :-( I don't think or focus on that any more :-) Let's take a look at the 3 parts of the above statement: Trials (Bad things) happen, God's punishment, and we have done wrong! 1) Trials (Bad things) happen: Natural human question will be, "Whose fault is it? Who cause it?" *John 9:2-3, "His disciples asked Him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him." 2) God's punishment: God didn't say punishment in Hebrews, He said, "Discipline!" We in our human wisdom think discipline is punishment. But in God's economy, they are different! The word discipline and disciple share the same root word. To me, that means discipline is required to train disciples! (You need discipline to lose weight, to exercise, to achieve your goals, etc) *Hebrews 12:6, "because the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and He chastens everyone He accepts as His son!" 3) We have done wrong: How does one know one has done wrong? *John 16:8a, 13a, "And when He (Holy Spirit) comes, He will convict the world of its sin...When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth!" ***My takeaways: * This will be a continuous learning for me when it comes to trials, bad things happening, disciplines, punishment, consequences, wrong things, wrongs ways, wrong attitudes, sins, etc * And I cannot and will not understand it without the guidance of the Holy Spirit * For now, I understand the following: 1) Sin has consequences in whatever form it may take at whatever time it may show up. But not all trials, bad things happening or punishment are the results of sin or wrongs we have done! 2) All trials, bad things happening, punishment and disciplines are for my good to draw me to Jesus Himself and for the world to know He is God! (To God be the glory!) 3) I welcome trials, bad things happening, punishment and especially discipline because God is drawing me to Himself through them! ***Bottomline - It doesn't matter whether we are being tested for something we have done. It matters that at the end of it, I will be a better disciple, closer to God and not focus on who's done it :-) ***I am not sure if I have answered your question, Sandy? Keep asking the Holy Spirit to show you, to give you examples and the hardest one is to ask Him for a practice example with His guidance!!! So when trials or bad things happen, it doesn't mean we or others have done something wrong :-)

February 3, 2021 at 10:39 AM

Bless the Lord all my soul and bless God's Holy Name. One of the scriptures that means a whole lot to me. Blessings of healing, restoration, renewal, and during this time blessings in just breathing. Some of us have more difficult time breathing due to the pandemic. I know the writer says, "Praise the Lord, O My Soul..." I learned to change the wording a while back ago in the care that I provide. May the Spirit continue to forgive our iniquities and always be compassionate towards us so we can return the compassion to others.

February 3, 2021 at 09:20 AM

I know our Lord and Savior can heal if it is his will to do so therefore I believe I have a strong faith in him. Sometimes when we pray for healing and it doesn't happen it can be difficult to understand why he would not will it but we just have to believe that it's for the greater good and it's a reminder that he is in control. God is great all the time. ♥️

February 3, 2021 at 08:53 AM

February 3, 2021 at 08:36 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Please Holy Father help our country to be victorious

February 3, 2021 at 08:16 AM

Amen. :)

February 3, 2021 at 08:03 AM

Amen...

February 3, 2021 at 07:44 AM

Do not let others direct your dreams and desires in this life. You and only you are in charge of what you can accomplish in this life if you believe in yourself and the one who has given to you these wonderful gifts and blessings. They did not believe that Jesus could be the one to do all of what they had heard. Wow we’re they wrong, no worries. No matter how hard we try in life, sometimes the closer the person is to us the harder it is for them to believe that you can be everything you want to be in this world. The best thing is we can keep moving forward not looking back at the naysayers. God wants each of us to use all of our God given abilities this day to achieve all that we want to be. He wants each us to reach to the stars and never look back. With God at our side, in our Lives , all things are possible. All things are possible to those who believe in God and themselves. Blessed are we his children. Prayers for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory so they may be reunited with our Heavenly Father in Paradise. Amen.

February 3, 2021 at 07:21 AM

Amen. Thank you Father for this much needed reflection. “Trust that God will answer” Jesus I do believe, help my disbelief. Prayers for all.

Patrick