February 1, 2021
My Source of Strength
Let your hearts take comfort, all who hope in the Lord.
Psalm 31:25 (responsorial)

One of my uncles was fond of mumbling, “Give me strength!” under his breath when he was challenged by something…or someone. There are times when I find myself saying it before I can face leaving the house to start the day. Sometimes it takes strength to face the physical challenge of a storm, exhaustion from a bad night or some malady. Mostly, though, I find it’s the interpersonal challenges of family, colleagues, students or the news that make me pray for strength.

The only source that can give me the strength is, indeed, hope in the Lord. The words of St. Julian of Norwich, “All shall be well, all shall be well, all manner of things shall be well,” boost my hope at such times. To face the day, I sometimes hold these words in my heart as though clasping a medallion. With them, I do find the strength and courage to take heart and actually step out my door.

- Aileen O’Donoghue

Hebrews 11:32-40 • Psalm 31:20-24 Mark 5:1-20

Comments

February 1, 2021 at 01:58 PM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Please Holy Father help our country to be victorious

February 1, 2021 at 01:19 PM

February 1, 2021 at 12:10 PM

Aileen, thank you for your inspiring devotion. * As I set time for you Lord this morning, I pray that you please give me the strength, hope and courage to face my anxieties, fears and burdens and with your armor of faith to accomplish all that you have given me to do today. Dear Lord in you there is hope knowing that through you all is possible. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

Patrick
February 1, 2021 at 02:13 PM

Amen

Betty Rose Kempka Respond to comment
February 1, 2021 at 09:36 AM

February 1, 2021 at 08:56 AM

Yes, we need strength from the Lord, Don't we? If I have faith, does it mean I do not fear? Let me be honest, I can't say my faith can completely conquer my fears :-( Just read today's passage in Hebrews: * (Hebrews 11:33-35a) Yes, with faith, they conquered kingdoms, obtained the promises, closed the mouths of lions, put out raging fires, escaped the devouring sword, made powerful, became strong in battle, turned back foreign invaders, and received back their dead! * (Hebrews 11:35b-38) But then, even with faith, they endured mockery, scourging, even chains and imprisonment, were stoned, sawed in two, put to death at sword’s point, went about in skins of sheep or goats, needy, afflicted, tormented, wandered about in deserts and on mountains, in caves and in crevices in the earth! * Hebrews 11:39-40, "These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect!" ***What does it mean by "God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect"? 1 John 4:16-17, "We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in His love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face Him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world!" ***Faith is my foundation and solid ground where I can stand and face my fears! However, it doesn't mean it will drive away my fears, my healthy fears to keep me close to my Lord God! ***The bottomline for me about fear is in 1 John 4:18, "Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced His perfect love!" ***Experience God's perfect love and watch my fears fade :-) for I put my trust in His love! ***Everlasting God by Lincoln Brewster https://youtu.be/jP2nz6PG8KM ***"Love the Lord, all you godly ones! For the Lord protects those who are loyal to Him, but He harshly punishes the arrogant. So be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the Lord!" Amen! (Psalm 31:23-24)

February 1, 2021 at 08:44 AM

All shall be well, praying for strength to face the challenges of the day. Amen

Kevyn Mary
February 1, 2021 at 09:21 AM

February 1, 2021 at 08:35 AM

February 1, 2021 at 08:20 AM

February 1, 2021 at 08:10 AM

Those who do not believe, walk in fear in the world. Those of us who follow Christ have the confidence and strength given to us by him to meet the challenges of today. Faith, helps us through the fear, anxieties, and the many challenges we face everyday in our lives. Coming to Jesus, he can heals us, make us new again, strong in Faith to meet these challenges head on, not to live in fear. We bring our sins to him and ask for his forgiveness , so that one day we may walk with him in paradise. Today, put God First and walk a little closer to him so that we may hear where he is calling us. Our lives can be transformed if we can have a little faith. Prayers for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they all be reunited back in Heaven with our Heavenly Father. Amen.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
February 1, 2021 at 07:36 AM

Thanks Aileen for today's devotion. Strength is important my dear lord. Tension between faith and fear. We all live in fear each day. We fear we might not have enough for our family or for retirement. We fear that we will be out of job during this economic downturn. We fear for our health. We fear losing our loved ones someday. Human fears can only be overcome by faith in god, which is the consequence of reverential fear of him. This is considered a gift of wisdom, one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

Alyssa Peacock Respond to comment
February 1, 2021 at 06:28 AM

How beautiful...so simple....”give me strength”.