January 31, 2021
Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time
The Big D: Distraction
I am telling you this for your own benefit, not to impose a restraint upon you, but for the sake of propriety and adherence to the Lord without distraction.
1 Corinthians 7:35

All well and good, Paul, but what about those of us in the midst of our journeys, family life deeply engaged?

No matter who we are or how we live, God calls each of us to love and serve him, undistracted. So what does that mean when most of us can’t be hermits—and probably would never want to be? Although, yes, at least once a day, I actually would like to be a hermit. Very much.

But I’m not. I’m here, with others. Many others. “Without distraction” in that context, it seems to me, means simply to make a habit of remembering God’s presence, above all, in each of those situations. To make sure I’m open to hearing his voice first—no matter how loud the rest may be.

Loving God, keep me focused on you today.

- Amy Welborn

Deuteronomy 18:15-20 • Psalm 95:1-2, 6-9 1 Corinthians 7:32-35 • Mark 1:21-28

Comments

January 31, 2021 at 04:14 PM

Thank you Amy for your devotion. * It is very difficult to be without anxieties and worries during our business of life and burdens. All God wants from us is to set aside "some time", set aside those worries and anxieties for Him “Without distraction” and "sit still and know that He is God and that He's got our backs". He's taking care of us, of everything, Make an effort to not worry. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

Tim
February 1, 2021 at 09:44 AM

Tillie, perfect reflection as always. You captured what lays on many of our minds and hearts. Well done loyal and faithful servant. Dear friend, th ask you. Tim

david
January 31, 2021 at 05:43 PM

Amen

January 31, 2021 at 01:37 PM

Love Paul's heart in the second reading :-) *Paul's goal in 1 Corinthians 7:32a, "I should like you to be free of anxieties!" *Anxieties from what in 1 Corinthians 7:32b, 33b, 34b, 34d, "anxious about the things of the Lord...anxious about the things of the world!" *The bottom line from Paul in 1 Corinthians 7:35, "I am telling you this for your own benefit, not to impose a restraint upon you, but for the sake of propriety and adherence to the Lord without distraction!" ***I like to think that if you are not married like the priests and nuns, then you have no anxieties...that is the wrong assumption furthest from the truth!!! *Listen to what Paul said in this passgae that whether you are married or not, you have anxieties! Your anxieties are of differnt concerns: the world or the Lord! ***So what was Paul trying to say? Listen to the various translation of 1 Corinthians 7:35 and the Holy Spirit will show us: *NIV - I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord! *NLT - I am saying this for your benefit, not to place restrictions on you. I want you to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible! *THE MESSAGE - I’m trying to be helpful and make it as easy as possible for you, not make things harder. All I want is for you to be able to develop a way of life in which you can spend plenty of time together with the Master without a lot of distractions! ***Bottomline for me: Whether I am married or single or widowed, I need the least distractions so I spend time with Jesus more than anyone or anything (inclusing good deeds and minstries) in this world, period! *Colossians 3:23, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters!" *Colossians 3:17, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the Name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him!" *1 Corinthians 10:31, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God!" ***Amen!!!

david
January 31, 2021 at 06:05 PM

Reading I Dt 18:15-20 "Moses spoke to all the people, saying:“A prophet like me will the LORD, your God, raise up for you from among your own kin; to him you shall listen." I think that St. Paul is referring to a person that has chosen to be a virgin or to be single and does not have a spouse to please as we know that even Moses was married.

January 31, 2021 at 12:27 PM

Living faith family I want to share this with you guys. Prayer for the Souls in Purgatory Eternal Father, I offer You the most precious blood of thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal Church, for those in my own home, and in my family. Amen. Please pray for those living souls who have no one to pray for them, please pray for a young mother in the cursillo group Nicki in Ohio ICU she is 39 and has 3 young boys. and add my friend from morning Mass whose wife is hospitalized with mental problems. Ken

Tim
February 1, 2021 at 09:48 AM

Our dear friend, brother in Christ , thank you for your prayers and intentions. I will pray for all of them as well Ken, as Jesus says, where two or more gather in my name, I too am there. Ken, Jesus hears our hearts this day. Amen.

MA
January 31, 2021 at 05:56 PM

Ken, Thoughts and prayers for all you have mentioned. I will keep them in my prayers tomorrow. Please all take care.

January 31, 2021 at 11:24 AM

Loved your piece in Living Faith today! As a retired physician, now with ‘just enough time’ to reflect, I enjoy your thoughts. Blessings!!

EM
January 31, 2021 at 11:43 AM

Amen! Ditto Mike. May we all be blessed today to feel our lord’s presence without distraction. Prayers for all.

January 31, 2021 at 09:25 AM

Listen with a careful ear not to miss a single word or lesson that Jesus wants to teach us today. The promise of the old covenant is fulfilled with Jesus our Lord Jesus Christ and the people do not quite understand why Jesus can do the things he can. He is God’s son we have one up on them, because we know the truth. There are so many others who do not know, that we can share his word, light with today. God has risen up a prophet, the Messiah for us. Those who will not believe us are already condemned not by us, but by our God. This is why we must continue to put God first in our lives, learn as much as we can, so we too can share his message with out own families and those who simply do not know. I do not believe that we are anxious because we are married or unmarried. I believe Faith helps us not to be anxious and we are in control. Dear Jesus come into my heart and make my faith stronger than yesterday, so that I may continue to be your disciple. Praying for all of our Living Faith Family. Those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory , that they may be reunited with Christ in Heaven today, we pray, AMEN.

January 31, 2021 at 09:24 AM

Amen! =)

January 31, 2021 at 09:22 AM

Thank you Amy for your words today. They hit home. God bless!

January 31, 2021 at 09:13 AM

Thank you, Amy! I always love your devotionals. And thank you, Lord, for knowing what I needed to read today. ..that I am not alone in finding the pursuits of my earthly life somehow more compelling than just loving God. The personal gold rings I chase everyday on my self-employed carousel are, often, more satisfying to grab than taking that moment to stop, observe and hear God's voice, love my neighbor, give without getting anything in return. Jesus, today may I love you more...and be satisfied by it in the same way - in a bigger way - than any of my other heart desires. May you eclipse all the others. Thank you. Amen.

January 31, 2021 at 09:01 AM