January 28, 2021
St. Thomas Aquinas
Love Silences the Mind
He shall receive a blessing from the Lord…
Psalm 24:5

Today is the feast of St. Thomas Aquinas, the greatest of scholastic theologians. His voluminous writings still have a major impact on theology today. Shortly before his death in 1274, he had a mystical vision that silenced his great pen. When asked to continue writing, he responded, “I cannot, for everything I have written seems to me like straw.”

Knowing the truths of our faith is important. We should read and study these often. But the “taste” of a drop of divinity surpasses it all. In love, we become one with our beloved God, a union that surpasses all description. St. Thomas had many great intellectual gifts that he generously shared. God’s greatest gift to him was a direct experience of the divine. It silenced his pen and opened him to the fullness of Love itself.

Father in heaven, may we, like St. Thomas, taste your infinite love. May we abandon ourselves to you and thus possess you forever.

- Msgr. Stephen Rossetti

Hebrews 10:19-25 • Psalm 24:1-6 Mark 4:21-25

Comments

January 28, 2021 at 02:12 PM

Thank you all LFF for your incite to the readings each day. I thank God for leading me to this website because I have learned a lot about our faith. I also thank you for your prayers, Bill L., Ken, Tillie, Salina and all others who are praying for my granddaughter, Kyla. We hope she has had her last surgery. The doctor did tell her that the skin graft may not take. I pray that it does, God's will be done!! Soon she is to be transferred to physical rehab. She has a long way to go yet, but she still has her leg!! Thank you, my Lord!! Everyone have a great day!!

Bill L
January 28, 2021 at 05:15 PM

Kyla will be in good hands, Barbara. Physical therapists are my guardian angels. They have taken great care in my surgeries. She is on my prayer list every night.

January 28, 2021 at 11:00 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Please Holy Father help our country to be victorious

January 28, 2021 at 10:33 AM

January 28, 2021 at 09:58 AM

Love researching Thomas Aquinas :-) Here are his quotes that make me think: 1)Three things are necessary for the salvation of man: to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do. 2)To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible. 3)The things that we love tell us what we are. 4)Love takes up where knowledge leaves off. 5)Man cannot live without joy; therefore when he is deprived of true spiritual joys it is necessary that he become addicted to carnal pleasures. 6)Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate. 7)Faith has to do with things that are not seen and hope with things that are not at hand. (This is actually Hebrews 11:1) Teach me, O Lord! That Your choices are always good and right! May I rest upon Your unlimited wisdom and wiat for Your time and Your way even when I don't understand because I can trust You! In Jesus' precious name I pray in agreement with the Holy Spirit, Amen!

Tillie
January 28, 2021 at 05:59 PM

Amen Salina! Wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

david
January 28, 2021 at 01:17 PM

Salina, your message is exactly how or what I have been going through at this time and place in my life. God bless.

Holly
January 28, 2021 at 10:31 AM

These are wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

Susan
January 28, 2021 at 10:09 AM

Thanks for sharing some of his quotes here! So many...so much insight.

January 28, 2021 at 08:15 AM

Amen! :)

January 28, 2021 at 08:10 AM

Treat others as we would want to be treated. We will be judged with the same measure. Thank you Msgr. for your reflection today. St. Thomas Aquinas shared his teachings with many priests back in the day and continues to offer much knowledge to the new seminarians of today with his profound writings. Profound harmony between faith and reason. One of the hardest part of the bible to understand for me is the Book of Revelations, but I have read that St. Thomas Aquinas, understood these writings so well and shares in his teachings/writings the explanations to help us understand further. I will admit I have not read much from him, but I look forward to learning more. God hears my prayers to be able to learn more and understand his word, so that I may share with others in my everyday life the goodness of God's words. Praying for our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all the souls in Purgatory, that they may be reunited with Jesus in Heaven, today. Amen

Bill L
January 28, 2021 at 05:08 PM

Another one of my favorite quotes, Tim. "The measure with which you measure will be measured out to you,"

david