January 25, 2021
The Conversion of St. Paul
The Great Apostle
He said to them, “Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature.”
Mark 16:15

If anyone went out into the “whole world,” it was St. Paul. Today we celebrate the conversion of the apostle Paul, probably the Church’s most ardent evangelist. He came to this vocation from an unlikely place. Known earlier as Saul of Tarsus, Paul was an aggressive persecutor of the fledging Christian movement. After a divine encounter on the road to Damascus, he made an amazing transformation to become one of the most articulate leaders of the early Church. The spectacular growth of Christianity among the Gentiles of that time was due in large part to Paul’s efforts. Despite considerable obstacles, his travels, writings and tireless work spread the faith.

- Paul Pennick

Acts 22:3-16 or Acts 9:1-22 • Psalm 117:1-2 Mark 16:15-18

Comments

January 25, 2021 at 08:37 PM

Thank you St. Paul for the beautiful devotion; hope. Amen. Please pray for my son, KJ, who's been having drinking problem, not being able to go to work, so angry at everything/everyone that the Lord would grant him the same mercy and grace he did to St. Paul. I fervently ask all of you, dear LFF, to help me in praying for my family and especially my son and his family (fiancee and 3 children ages, 13, 8 & 1) and I who are going through so much pain and sorrow and watching him getting worse every day. To our Mother Mary to intercede for all of us suffering addictions in our homes and abuse in all forms (verbal, physical & emotional). In Jesus name I ask and pray, Lord Heavenly Father. Thank you. Amen.

January 25, 2021 at 04:18 PM

Paul, thank you for your devotion. Beautifully said: "From terrible sinner to saint, from persecutor to persuasive preacher, Paul gives us all hope: no matter what kind of life we have lived, we can change. Indeed, we can be welcomed back into the fold." * St. Paul said: “But because I did not know what I was doing in my unbelief, I have been treated mercifully, and the grace of our Lord has been granted me in overflowing measure” (1 Tm 1:13-14). St. Paul new that when he told his conversion story, God would receive glory (Gal 1:24). He also knew that Satan would be defeated by the witness of his conversion testimony (Rv 12:11). Thus, Our Lord says to us: “Witness to what you have seen of Me” (Acts 26:16). “You are to be My witnesses” (Acts 1:8). * Jesus, may I believe so deeply in You that I never look upon any situation or person as being beyond hope. God Bless our Living Faith Family.

January 25, 2021 at 03:04 PM

Adding Elle and her daughter, along with continued prayers for Barbara and Kyla, to my rosary tonight.

January 25, 2021 at 12:13 PM

Thank you for your continued prayers for my granddaughter, Kyla. She has another surgery this afternoon. My Lord God, please grant the surgeons the knowledge and skill to be successful so that she will not lose her leg. Thank you, my God.

Tillie
January 25, 2021 at 04:36 PM

Barbara, I'm still praying for your granddaughter, Kyla.

January 25, 2021 at 11:16 AM

Amen. Thank you for these words of hope.

Rita
January 25, 2021 at 02:59 PM

I said a prayer for Kyla.

January 25, 2021 at 10:36 AM

Praying for Elle and her daughter. I just wanted to add how much I enjoy the beautiful winter scenes lately and would love to know where this particular one was photographed. Have a blessed day LFF.

Living Faith Team
January 25, 2021 at 11:02 AM

We are so happy you are enjoying the photography on our site. Unfortunately, we source our photos from a huge photo gallery that has photographers contributing to it from around the world, and we don't often know from where the photos may come from. But we hope that our selections will offer a moment of beauty to thank God for the beauty of creation and his peace in the moment. And also to thank God for the person who captured the scene for us to enjoy in the photo.

January 25, 2021 at 10:09 AM

Elle, I will include your daughter in my prayers for the LF family. Lord, I continue to pray for the discernment of your call, the courage and confidence to do your will. A Blessed day to all.

January 25, 2021 at 09:03 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Please Holy Father help our country to be victorious

January 25, 2021 at 08:50 AM

Love how God brought Paul to Himself and turned Him into the one who was responsible to take the Gospel to the Gentiles (us)!!! ***Paul - born into an upper class family (Roman citizenship), an highly educated religious leader (Pharisee), zealous for God (knowing all the laws), persecuted the Way (Blaspheming religious cult according to the Pharisee), encountered the risen Christ on his way to Damascus to carry out his mission at the time (to persecute and shut down the religious cult), and was blinded to regain his sight so Paul would be His witness to the world!!! *Did you grew up in church with all the religious education? Do you know all the rules to your religion? Are you zealous for God when it comes to being right and wrong? Did you point your fingers at those who are not of your religious denomination? My final question: Have you encountered the risen Christ? ***Ananias - Christ follower minding his own business serving God in Damascus, received a vision from God to go and regain Paul's sight, questioned God on this murderous Pharisee from Jerusalem, and obeyed eventually to regain Paul's sight risking his own life to be arrested by Paul!!! *Are you being asked to do go out and help those you are trying to distant yourself from and risking your own safety or health? Are you telling God what He may not know about your physical, mental and financial conditions and limitations? Does God know about these dangerous people He is sending you to? ***God - Jesus Whom Paul was persecuting, blinded Paul, sent Ananias to regain Paul's sight, designated Paul to know His will, to see the Righteous One, and to hear the sound of His voice; for Paul would be His witness before all to what Paul has seen and heard!!! ***Conclusion - God has chosen Paul to be His instument to carry the Name of Jesus to Gentiles, kings and Jews; Paul would suffer for His Name sake; God sent Ananais to Paul against his logics or wishes; Paul regained his sight, was baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit; Paul began at once to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, that He is the Son of God; All who heard Paul were astounded; Paul grew all the stronger and confounded the Jews who lived in Damascus, proving that this is the Christ!!! And He has chosen you and I to do the same! ***My prayer - Praise the LORD, all you nations; glorify Him, all you peoples! Go out to all the world, and tell the Good News! You chose me from the world, to go and bear fruit that will last! To that I say Amen!!! (Psalm 117:1, John 15:16) ***Amazing Grace by Pentatonix https://youtu.be/Obp-9BEZe1c ***Mark 16:15-16, "Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned!" ***It is a matter of life and death!!!

January 25, 2021 at 08:29 AM

Celebrating a liar ???? isn’t what Christianity is about. “ We know Paul was called a liar many times, and not just by James. Paul was forced to defend himself time after time in his epistles. He starts a paragraph in Romans by saying, “I speak the truth; I am not lying” (Rom. 9:1). In his second letter to the Christians in Corinth, he outlines all the problems he’s had and then adds, “I am not lying” (2 Cor. 11:31). This same theme is repeated in 1 Tim. 2:7 where he says he was “appointed” as an apostle, and then: “I am telling the truth; I am not lying.” If Paul’s letters are the inspired and infallible word of Almighty God, breathed through Paul by the Holy Spirit as Christian doctrine asserts, would it have been possible for Paul to have told an outright lie in them? I think not. So if he did, what would that by itself directly imply concerning the notion that his words are God’s words? Consider this: Paul proclaimed he was the one called to bring the gospel to the Gentiles. However, Peter put that lie to rest challenging Paul’s lie directly before the council. “ 7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.” Where was Paul?? Cha standing right there and didn’t open his lying mouth. Of course you Pauline worshipers like Paul will deny the truth plainly pointed out. Alas, truths will never become lies and lies will never become truths.

Tillie
January 25, 2021 at 05:05 PM

PJ, I'm also sorry you feel that way. Father, may Jesus pierce PJ's heart and perform a conversion so that she will believe so deeply in You that she will never look upon any situation or person as being beyond hope. God Bless you.

January 25, 2021 at 09:11 AM

BTW, I am studying Genesis at BSF this year and I just realize that the book of Genesis are full of liars celebrated as Patriarchs. I keep thinking, "Wait, didn't I just study that? Abraham lied twice and Isaac lied once so far as Chapter 25......." * Romans 3:23, "For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard." * John 8:7, "They kept demanding an answer, so He (Jesus) stood up again and said, “All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!” *Romans 9:18, "Therefore God has mercy on whom He wants to have mercy, and He hardens whom He wants to harden!" ***So it is with you and I.......Lord, have mercy! Christ, have mercy!

January 25, 2021 at 08:59 AM

I am so sorry you feel this way, PJ :-( Thank you for sharing your heart though! Only God the Holy Spirit can explain to you the way you can understand :-) And He will if you ask Him!!! Peter's words about Paul in 2 Peter 3:15-16, "And remember, our Lord’s patience gives people time to be saved. This is what our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you with the wisdom God gave him — speaking of these things in all of his letters. Some of his comments are hard to understand (I can see what you are refering to, PJ), and those who are ignorant and unstable have twisted his letters to mean something quite different, just as they do with other parts of Scripture. And this will result in their destruction."

January 25, 2021 at 08:18 AM

Amen. :)

January 25, 2021 at 08:01 AM

“Go Out And Share The Gospel”. This messages is loud and clear to each of us. Today we celebrate the conversion of St. Paul. In today’s first reading we hear about the conversation story of St. Paul. This past February, I stood at the city gate they named the gate of St. Stephen, where he became a victim at the hands of Saul. I could not help but feel the sadness of what happened there so many years ago, but then felt the strength that Stephen as well and sense the strong faith Stephen had to follow Jesus at all costs. Today we see that it is never too late to change and be baptized in the light of Christ. To go out and proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Paul was a very bad man and God chose to save him. Today come to the light, yes a little closer you will hear him and see him. Share with others that you are a follower of Jesus Christ. We can do that in the way we treat others and there are times when the opportunity will come to share a story with someone about the risen Christ, the bright light, our Lord and Savior. Have a blessed day. Praying for all of our Living Faith Family, for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they are reunited with Jesus in his Heavely Kingdom. Amen

January 25, 2021 at 07:35 AM

Good morning! I have been reading and praying with you all for many years but this is my first posting (and, like Ken, I am not a robot - Haha!). I have recently been praying that God will help me to find the best words and actions to support my daughter who is experiencing some struggles right now. If you could join me in that, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Tillie
January 25, 2021 at 05:12 PM

Elle, I pray that God will help you support your daughter in every way and to help you find just the right words and actions God Bless you and your daughter.

Joann
January 25, 2021 at 09:20 AM

Praying for your daughter.

Tim
January 25, 2021 at 08:19 AM

Dear Jesus we pray that you extend your loving grace to Elle this day and filled her with the Holy Spirit so that she may share your light with her daughter. Please bestow on her the right words to say to encourage, not to tear down and bring her back home to you. We pray, Our Father, Haily Mary, and Glory be. Amen

Kevyn Mary
January 25, 2021 at 08:08 AM

Praying!

January 25, 2021 at 07:53 AM

Praying for your daughter, Elle, knowing that God has already given you the heart to love and support her :-) May she come to know Jesus as Paul did in today's passage and the Holy Spirit will guide her to realize her life purposes God has for her! Amen!

January 25, 2021 at 05:55 AM

January 25, 2021 at 02:44 AM

Comforting words to read early on a cold January morning. There is hope for us all, every saint has a past every dinner has a future.

Patrick