January 19, 2021
Holding Fast
We who have taken refuge might be strongly encouraged to hold fast to the hope that lies before us.
Hebrews 6:18

In her song, “Sanctuary,” Carrie Newcomer asks the question, “Will you be my haven in the storm?” Each of us has probably asked that question of God, maybe even daily. How endless the “storms” that try to dash our hope and squash our belief that the Holy One will be for us and never against (Romans 8:31). To take refuge is to vulnerably ask, “ Can I lean on you, God? Can I take refuge until I am confident enough to proceed forward?” Like Abraham, who “after patient waiting, obtained the promise,” we trust better days will arrive (verse 15). Patient waiting—that is the clue to sustaining hope in the midst of a society constantly urging us toward ultra-independence and getting things done as quickly as possible. Let us remain steadfast in hope when what we experience seems to take forever to change. We can rest patiently in the trusted haven of God’s compassion.

- Sr. Joyce Rupp

Hebrews 6:10-20 • Psalm 111:1-2, 4-5, 9-10 Mark 2:23-28

Comments

January 19, 2021 at 10:51 PM

Thank you, Sister, for today’s devotional. Thank you all for being here everyday sharing your wisdom, love, vulnerabilities and encouragement. LFF has become my safe haven.

January 19, 2021 at 07:27 PM

When I think of God in the middle of a storm, I think of the eye of a storm where is calm and bright :-) https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/09/03/heres-what-it-looked-like-inside-eye-hurricane-dorian/ Eye of a Storm by Ryan Stevenson https://youtu.be/X2FqFLKisys

January 19, 2021 at 04:24 PM

I like this part of your message, sister Joyce: "Let us remain steadfast in hope when what we experience seems to take forever to change. We can rest patiently in the trusted haven of God’s compassion. "

January 19, 2021 at 04:14 PM

Here's what comes to mind when I am not trusting Jesus and the Father. Daniel 3: 8-12 Just then, some Babylonian fortunetellers stepped up and accused the Jews. They said to King Nebuchadnezzar. You gave strict orders, Well, there are some Jews here—Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego—whom you have placed in high positions in the province of Babylon. These men are ignoring you, O king. They don’t respect your gods and they won’t worship the gold statue you set up.” Furious, King Nebuchadnezzar ordered Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego to be brought in. When the men were brought in, Nebuchadnezzar asked, “Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, that you don’t respect my gods and refuse to worship the gold statue that I have set up? I’m giving you a second chance—but from now on, when the big band strikes up you must go to your knees and worship the statue I have made. If you don’t worship it, you will be pitched into a roaring furnace, no questions asked. Who is the god who can rescue you from my power?”16-18 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered King Nebuchadnezzar, “Your threat means nothing to us. If you throw us in the fire, the God we serve can rescue us from your roaring furnace and anything else you might cook up, O king. But even if he doesn’t, it wouldn’t make a bit of difference, O king. We still wouldn’t serve your gods or worship the gold statue you set up.” Nebuchadnezzar, his face purple with anger. He ordered the furnace fired up seven times hotter than usual. He ordered some strong men from the army to tie them up, hands and feet, and throw them into the roaring furnace. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, bound hand and foot. 24 Suddenly King Nebuchadnezzar jumped up in alarm and said, “Didn’t we throw three men, bound hand and foot, into the fire?” “That’s right, O king,” they said. 25 “But look!” he said. “I see four men, walking around freely in the fire, completely unharmed! And the fourth man looks like a son of the gods!” 26 Nebuchadnezzar went to the door of the roaring furnace and called in, “Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, servants of the High God, come out here!” Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego walked out of the fire.

January 19, 2021 at 02:29 PM

What stood out for me is society urging us towards ultra-independence. I feel bad for needing help at times. I need help from God, and I need lots of help from people. I also have to remember to be helpful. I also need help from God to have confidence to ask others for help. My cousin let me down in a big way over the weekend.

Tim
January 20, 2021 at 07:50 AM

Rita, we are all here for you, to raise you up with as much encouragement as we can. Sometimes life is not fair in our eyes, but there is much hope, joy, comfort and forgiveness offered to us by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Open up his word, come to home daily and trust me, your life will be transformed. You will hear God communicating with you personally, showing and helping you on which path to follow. In the meantime know that we as a Living Faith Family are always here to listen, give support and especially Love. Amen

January 19, 2021 at 11:42 AM

January 19, 2021 at 09:21 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen Please Holy Father, help our country to be victorious.

January 19, 2021 at 09:04 AM

How lucky we are that we have God to lean on and that He gives us the strength to move forward. Thank you, Sr. Joyce for this great meditation.

January 19, 2021 at 09:04 AM

Thank you Sister Joyce, wonderful devotion.

January 19, 2021 at 08:38 AM

Amen. :)

January 19, 2021 at 07:51 AM

Sr. Joyce, thank you for the great reminder, sometimes it is hard to wait for the storm to pass. Dear Jesus again others are constantly trying to find some other angle than the one you have come to share with each of us. Let us stay on the path you have chosen for us, no matter the storms we are in and will face ahead. You never promised us a smooth path, but I would rather take this path chosen than one that is smooth with sin and consequences later. Please hear my prayers lifted up to you today and please extend your ear to our intentions offered through your beloved Mother Mary, this day. In your Holy Name we pray, Amen.

Donna
January 19, 2021 at 11:01 AM

Thanks Tim for your Spirit driven prayer. "Others are constantly trying to find some other angle than the one you have come to share.." This really spoke to me today. Difficult people, even easy circumstances, can make us think of choosing a path or making a choice that is not Love itself. For me, something to remember is that we tend to make our methods our goals! Jesus ie. Love, is the goal not the Sabbath or even the Scripture. These were made for us! To get to know Him. _

Kalynn Franklin Respond to comment
January 19, 2021 at 07:14 AM

This was a beautiful devotional today and a great reminder to us all during these uncertain times. God is good all the time and is waiting for us to lean on Him. I forget that at times in the rush of things.

January 19, 2021 at 06:16 AM

This reading was helpful today, as I have been struggling in all areas to develop more patience.

January 19, 2021 at 05:30 AM

A perfect summary of my journey over recent years. After a lifetime being driven by targets and deadlines I have finally embraced patience and persistence. The storms still challenge me at times but I stand firm, I have learned to be still and wait on the Lord. Jobs still get done and I don't doubt or worry, as I place my trust in the Lord. Thank you Sr. Joyce