January 13, 2021
St. Hilary
Prayer at Work
When it was evening, after sunset, they brought to him all who were ill or possessed by demons.
Mark 1:32

For years, one of our Holy Cross brothers was confined to a wheelchair, the victim of a stroke that left him partially paralyzed. He never walked again, but every time I visited him, I was greeted with a welcoming smile. He would listen attentively when I read to him and then struggle to respond when something impressed him. He always seemed joyful, something that amazed me so much that, years after his death, I still remember him.

There was never a physical healing, and yet, his peaceful acceptance of his infirmities freed him from much physical and mental pain that he might have otherwise suffered. Perhaps this, too, could be seen as a type of healing that can come through prayer. God’s healing love touches us in different ways. All healing is a sign of God’s compassionate love, but from several points of view, it remains a mystery we can never fully understand.

God, in your mercy, increase my faith.

- Fr. Kenneth Grabner, C.S.C.

Hebrews 2:14-18 • Psalm 105:1-4, 6-9 Mark 1:29-39

Comments

January 13, 2021 at 09:03 PM

Great sermon, Indeed all healing is a sign of God's compassionate Love. Thanks you father Kenneth, Keep blessed.

January 13, 2021 at 08:41 PM

Your words are like seeing the deer playing in the snow Or living in the cloister that our Beloved created out of COVID

January 13, 2021 at 04:42 PM

Fr. Kenneth, thank you for your wonderful devotion. * "Jesus, why do You love me, us so much?" God created us in His owns image and so He loves us so much and unconditionally that He sent His only beloved son to reconcile and atone our our sins. Through Jesus's compassionate love for us, He heals us mentally, physically, emotionally and being the doctor of our souls, He heals us spiritually. "When the soul is healthy, it is in a living relationship with God. When the soul is sick, the entire person becomes ill". Accept and make Jesus your Lord, Savior, continue to follow Him and have a strong loving, relationship with Him and pray that for His healing. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

January 13, 2021 at 01:51 PM

I decided to sign up to comment because this is the most peaceful place on the Internet. I've been reading these devotions for a while. Also, I need to increase my faith because it wavers at times.

EM
January 13, 2021 at 06:26 PM

Amen. What a beautiful reflection. Rita & Tillie well said. Prayers for all.

Tillie
January 13, 2021 at 04:50 PM

Rita, I’m also with you on that. My faith wavers at times. Persevere, continue to follow Him and pray to Jesus. He will always bring closer to Him and restore your faith. God Bless you.

JAM
January 13, 2021 at 04:21 PM

Oh, to have the grace to accept the pain that each of us bears! Just remember that each person is carrying a burden and most of the time, it is not visible. Our country also needs healing at this time and so much of it can be seen...and heard.

Marsha
January 13, 2021 at 03:14 PM

I’m with you on that, Rita.

January 13, 2021 at 01:39 PM

Yes, Jesus came to 1)Preach the Good News in today's Gospel reading :-) In the reading of Hebrews, it also tells me the How, What and Why....... 2)Share with us the blood and flesh 3)Destroy the power of death, the devil 4)Free those who through fear of death had been subject to slavery all their lives 5)Become like his brothers and sisters (us) in every way 6)Expiate the sins of the people as a a merciful and faithful high priest before God 7)Help those who are being tested :-) ***I give thanks to the LORD, I invoke Your Name; I make known among the nations Your deeds. I sing to You, I sing Your praise, I proclaim all Your wondrous deeds. Amen! (Psalm 105:1-2) ***Bless The Lord (10,000 Reasons) by Matt Redman https://youtu.be/DXDGE_lRI0E

January 13, 2021 at 12:08 PM

Thank you, Fr. Kenneth, for your words today. God's ways are not our ways. He is all seeing and all knowing and knows what's best for us even when we rail against Him! Thank you, my God, for my family, especially Kyla. She is scheduled for more surgery on her leg tomorrow. Lord, please continue to be with her and bring her safely through the procedure. Give the doctors the knowledge and skill to save her leg as well as her life. Thank you for answering my prayers, Lord of Power and Might!! Prayers for all living faith family and their intentions. Amen

Tillie
January 13, 2021 at 04:58 PM

Barbara, I continue to pray for your daughter, Kyla. I pray that God will be her during her surgery, providing her with strength to pull through and he will navigate the doctor's hands. God Bless you and Kyla.

Bill L
January 13, 2021 at 04:34 PM

Continued prayers for you and Kyla, Barbara. Many people say "I know how you feel" without really understanding. But know that I am with you on this. Prayers also to the rest of our Living Faith family.

January 13, 2021 at 01:25 PM

January 13, 2021 at 11:17 AM

January 13, 2021 at 08:57 AM

Amen! Than k you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

January 13, 2021 at 08:35 AM

May the Lord heal our minds, bodies and spirits for everyone here sharing His faith! I continue to pray for all those in need. Have a blessed day!

January 13, 2021 at 08:20 AM

January 13, 2021 at 08:08 AM

Jesus is still in full gear in today’s Gospel, sharing the good News of his Father’s Kingdom and healing many. There are two parts that move me in today’s Gospel, Jesus puts his Father first. He God’s only son gets up before dawn to a quiet place and prays to his Father. Am I better that Jesus, no and is why we must put him first in our daily lives. It is that important. Secondly I love how Jesus says, we need to go that I may preach there also, for this purpose I have come. Very profound messages within our Gospel. Prayers for our Living Faith Family and for all of those who have no one to pray for them. Also for the souls in Purgatory to be reunited with our Heavenly Father. Amen

Tim
January 14, 2021 at 08:54 AM

Thank you Ken. Know you are as well in mine, brothers in Christ. Amen

Mel
January 13, 2021 at 11:30 AM

Ken is not a robot. That made me chuckle.

January 13, 2021 at 09:47 AM

Yes, (Simon) Peter was a married man :-) Paul, on the other hand was single!

January 13, 2021 at 08:30 AM

Tim know that you are in my prayers. Simon mother in law was healed, was Simon married? Feedmore today I pray for the strength and wisdom to say the right things to my clients. Som require more attention than others. Mass this morning I will pray for the living faith family and for those people who have no one to pray for them. I am also going to pray for Patrick and Jessi and the essential workers and their families. I am not a robot Ken