January 11, 2021
Next Up: Ordinary Time
As he passed by the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting their nets into the sea; they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, “Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
Mark 1:16-17

I do love the beginning of Ordinary Time. And it’s not just the relief at the end of holiday craziness either. It’s the matter-of-fact boldness of it all. We’ve just been immersed in weeks of contemplation of prophecy and expectation, darkness and light, the marvel of the Word Made Flesh, God come to us as a helpless human child.We’ve meditated, sung and celebrated.

We’ve been all about the mystery. So now what?

Well, according to this, it’s not too complicated. It may be hard, it may be risky, but no—it’s not complicated.“Come after me.”Jesus, I hear your call to me now, in this moment.

- Amy Welborn

Hebrews 1:1-6 • Psalm 97:1, 2, 6-7, 9 Mark 1:14-20

Comments

January 12, 2021 at 09:27 AM

Barbara, that is great News. We will continue to pray for her. Amen

January 11, 2021 at 10:08 PM

“Here I Am, Lord”

January 11, 2021 at 05:44 PM

Thank you all for your prayers for Kyla. I just received news from her father that surgery was over and she still has her leg. But the doctor gave no guarantee that what they did today (cleaned it out and took out some bone) would work. We.have to wait and see. God is good; she still has her leg for now!! Please keep Kyla, her dad and her brother in your prayers. I cannot thank you enough for your help!! God bless the living faith family for the comfort that you give to others!! Amen!!

January 11, 2021 at 05:03 PM

Continued prayers for Barbara and Jo's family. And the rest of our Living Faith family.

January 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM

Amen! Prayers for LF family's needs. God bless!

January 11, 2021 at 11:06 AM

I am reminded so frequently Jesus’ command, “Come, follow me.” My 2 1/2 year old great -granddaughter will wave her hand and say “come on follow me”, when she wants you to help her with something. I obediently get up and follow. I laugh and think, that is Jesus’ words. Now I need to really reflect on those words more deeply. How often do I respond to the quiet nudge from my Holy Spirit to follow Jesus in every aspect of my life. My response at times is acting out of my laziness, or procrastination. Lord, I want to follow you as quickly as I respond to my great-granddaughter. Guide me, fill me with the energy to fulfill your mission, I am your humble servant. Thank you Amy for the nudge.

January 11, 2021 at 11:06 AM

Kyla's surgery is scheduled for noon today. Thank you for all of your prayers. I. pray that our Lord will guide the surgeons' hands and give them the skill and knowledge to successfully save her leg. Thank you, Lord!!

January 11, 2021 at 11:00 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

January 11, 2021 at 10:58 AM

Beautiful outside here in NE Tennessee with light snow coming down quietly and I had an umbrella over my head as I walked :-) If you just read today's Gospel, you would think that Simon (Peter) and Andrew just dropped everything and followed Jesus the first time they met? No, far from it! John 1:35-42 described Andrew met Jesus and spent the day with Jesus. Andrew then told Peter that Jesus was the Messiah. How did it start and how did Andrew conclude Jesus is the Messiah? I see these 3 steps in John 1:38-39.......1. Jesus asked, "What do you want?" 2. Jesus replied, "Come and you will see!" 3. So they went and saw where He was staying, and they spent that day with Him! ***So it is with me when I share the Good News: What does this person want or need? Let them come and see for themselves! So they will come and see and spend time with Jesus!*** ***What does it look like in practical terms? 1. What do they want or need? Jesus! Even when they didn't know it themselves. 2. How can they come and see Jesus? The Word become flesh! Scripture, my friends :-) Come and see the Scripture! 3. So they go study the Scripture and spend time with Jesus!*** ***That's why Hebrews 1:2a says, "in these last days, He spoke to us through the Son!" John 1:1, 14, "In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word (Jesus) was with God, and the Word (Jesus) was God...The Word (Jesus) became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and only Son, Who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."*** I encourage anyone to come and see and study the Bible for yourselves as Philip did with Nathanael in John 1:45-46, "Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about Whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.” “Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?” Nathanael asked. “Come and see,” said Philip." Amen!!! Come and see :-)

January 11, 2021 at 09:37 AM

Finishing up my BSF lesson 14 adult questions last night. Sharing with you one question that impacts me most this week! Q14, Genessis 23:1-2 records Sarah's death. How does God's relationship with her and her legacy of faith impact you? I have to coclude that relationship was surely dependent on God and not on Sarah. God was faithful to Sarah even when she came up with her own idea to give Abram a child with her slave Hagar (Genesis 16:2), drove a pregnant Hagar away into the desert (Genesis 16:6), laughed at God's promise of giving her a child at 90 and lied about laughing (Genesis 18:12-15), and demanded Abraham to get rid of Hagar and Ishmael after Isaac was born! (Genesis 21:9-10). Sarah's faith was real, was growing and was not perfect for sure! BUT GOD...He was faithful to both Abraham and Sarah even when they kept sinning and doing their own things! There is hope yet for me :-) I don't have to be perfect doing all the right things because He is perfect!!! Hallelujah, praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ!!! Going for my daily walk now before coming back to read the daily reading and prepare my student Bible lesson :-)

January 11, 2021 at 08:21 AM

“Come Follow Me”. Repent and believe. I truly believe that Jesus puts others in our lives that need us, or that we might need them. If we believe, we can share this faith with others for his kingdom. How do we become his disciplines of Christ? If you love him, share this love with others. This would be a great place to begin. Jesus, I unite myself to the wonders you work in me. I know I love you today, more than yesterday and tomorrow I shall love you more than today. Let me continued to be transformed in some additional way today, so that I may share your love with others. They shall know I follow you by my Love for them. Dear Jesus, please hear our prayers for all of the Living Faith Family, and for all of the ones who have no one to pray for them. Dear Jesus please hear my prayer request for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they be reunited with God their Father in Heaven. Amen

January 11, 2021 at 07:56 AM

Thanks to all for prayers for my nephew Dan! We don’t know when we’ll be able to bury him since all his in-laws and family have Covid! Please continue prayers for his whole family and that we Will be able to bury him and commend him to the Lord! Thank you all so much! I depend on your prayers

ANNETTE
January 11, 2021 at 08:09 AM

Jo, after experiencing a similar thing myself, death of a loved one during covid, I pray that God's peace wash over you during this difficult time. Know that he will guide you and your family with all the planning and the arrangements. Place it all in his hands. You will have a glorious celebration. And know that he is dancing in the presence of the Lord right now watching over everyone. Peace to you and your family. God bless you.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
January 11, 2021 at 07:09 AM

Thanks Amy for today's devotion. Jesus is the good news of god in person. What is the good news? The good news is that god is now in charge of our lives. He reigns in our hearts. Only when god reigns, there will be joy, peace and unity. Prayer for all the living faith members. Have a blessed day everyone.

January 11, 2021 at 08:19 AM

Jo,Annette, Sham/PeterNarine please know I will pray for you this morning at Mass. Living faith family please keep the souls in purgatory and the essential workers in your prayers. I am still not a robot Ken Ken