January 10, 2021
The Baptism of the Lord
Servant of the Lord
Not crying out, not shouting, not making his voice heard in the street.
Isaiah 42:2

When my kids got in arguments, they often would get louder and louder, as if volume would win the day. We adults are known to do this too. There is a lot of shouting these days on our screens and in our streets. Much sound and fury is all about us, but not much conversion of hearts.

The Baptism of the Lord, the start of the public ministry of Jesus, is striking: The Church wants us to reflect on Isaiah’s description of the “Servant of the Lord.” This foreshadows the Messiah. He is not a shouter or a showman. Isaiah’s servant does not talk about power and glory. He describes the servant’s quiet gentleness, one who does not break the bruised reed or quench the smoldering wick, who “establishes justice on the earth” (verse 4).

Today we reflect on the loving kindness of our Messiah, in whom his Father was “well pleased.”

- Greg Erlandson

Isaiah 42:1-4, 6-7 • Psalm 29:1-4, 9-10 Acts 10:34-38 • Mark 1:7-11

Comments

January 10, 2021 at 05:35 PM

Thank you, Bill L. and Tillie, for your prayers for Kyla!! We are so blessed to have all of the living faith family who have such strong faith. Thank you for your support and love. Jo, prayers for Dan and family.

January 10, 2021 at 04:48 PM

Greg thank you for your wonderful devotion. * I am a Servant of the Lord. Please help me to spread your word "Not crying out, not shouting, not making his voice heard in the street". I also like what Greg wrote: "Lord, help me to remember that winning a soul, not winning the argument, is what we are called to do". God Bless the Living Faith Family.

January 10, 2021 at 03:53 PM

And a voice came from the heavens, “You are my beloved Son/Daughter; with______ I am well pleased.” When can we place our name in that blank space? Today? Tomorrow? Prayers for all of us in the Living Faith family so that we can add our names to this.

January 10, 2021 at 12:24 PM

I have been led to this web site by my Lord God, and I thank Him. Your words have helped me better understand some of the readings for which I am grateful. I come to you today asking for prayers for my 24 year-old granddaughter' She is in danger of losing her leg due to a bone infection. Her doctors plan to operate tomorrow (Monday) to try to save the leg. Please pray for her and her family - father and brother. Thank you!!!

Barbara
January 11, 2021 at 01:37 AM

Patrick, thank you for praying for Kyla! God be with you.

Patrick
January 11, 2021 at 12:46 AM

Barbara, I have prayed for your granddaughter.

Tillie
January 10, 2021 at 04:36 PM

Barbara, prayers for your granddaughter. I pray that her operation will be smooth and successful and that she won't lose her leg. Trust in the Lord that, through Him all things are possible. Prayers for you, her father and brother. God Bless!

Bill L
January 10, 2021 at 03:44 PM

I will dedicate tonight's rosary to you and your granddaughter, Barbara.

January 10, 2021 at 03:35 PM

Praying for Kyla, Barbara! Isaiah 58:11, "And the Lord will guide you (Kyla and her medical team) continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong!" Isaiah 41:20, "that they may see and know, may consider and understand together, that the hand of the Lord has done this..." Amen!!!

Anita
January 10, 2021 at 12:46 PM

Barbara, I am praying the Memorare for your granddaughter and trust that the Blessed Mother will protect, help and intercede for her. God bless.

January 10, 2021 at 10:32 AM

Amen! Thank you.

Barbara
January 10, 2021 at 03:42 PM

Selina, thank you for your prayers for Kyla. I'm going to try to talk to her this afternoon and pray that my Lord will give me the words. God be with you!

Barbara
January 10, 2021 at 02:58 PM

Anita, thank you for your prayers for Kyla!! God bless you.

January 10, 2021 at 09:32 AM

Please pray for my nephew Dan who passed away yesterday because of COVID -19. He was 56 years old has a wife and two children. He had open heart surgery when he was 15 years old Heart trouble all his life. With Covid he got pneumonia and his heart just couldn’t take it anymore. Please please pray for him and for us. Thank you God bless you all

Tillie
January 10, 2021 at 04:26 PM

Jo, I am and will pray for your nephew Dan who passed away yesterday, I pray that his soul will go to heaven to be with Jesus, Our Lord. I pray that God will comfort and strengthen his wife and two children and you. God Bless!

Bill L
January 10, 2021 at 03:58 PM

Adding Dan and your family to my prayer list tonight, Jo.

January 10, 2021 at 03:38 PM

Jo, I am so sorry for Dan's passing :-( He was so young and left behind a family...Psalm 34:18, "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit!" Amen!

January 10, 2021 at 12:08 PM

Jo I will pray for you and your family and Dan and his family right now Know that he's with the Lord and pain and suffering is no longer in his life Ken

Holly
January 10, 2021 at 10:31 AM

I'm sorry to hear this. Prayers for you and family.

Linda B.
January 10, 2021 at 10:21 AM

I am sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family. A loss of loved one stings.

January 10, 2021 at 09:26 AM

Greg I love winning a soul not winning the argument. Living faith family I miss my 2nd grade class. But my oldest daughter asked me to work with my grandson Jack with his Sunday classes in another parish Christmas vacation is over going there now. Please pray for souls in purgatory and the essential workers and the people who have no one to pray for them Ken

January 10, 2021 at 09:20 AM

Listen to him. Isaiah speaks of Jesus and his coming into our world for us and our salvation. Jesus is the Greatest Light for all of his people. Isaiah, proclaims what is to happen to Jesus when he is baptized by John the Baptist in the Jordan. God speaks to all of us as his sons and daughters. Jesus, is the New Covenant. Isaiah proclaimed this message in the temple some 700 years before it took place. This shows the purpose of God plan for all of us ahead of time. Our Father in Heaven knows best. The Father again asked each one of us today to listen to him and follow him. He who has seen the son has seen the Father. Dear Jesus in our troubled, difficult word, please hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family. Please hear our prayers lifted up for the one who do not have anyone to pray for them. Dear Jesus please hear our prayers for all of the souls in Purgatory, that today, they may see the face of God. In your name we pray, Amen.

January 10, 2021 at 09:09 AM

Winning a soul, not winning the argument. Amen and amen...thank you, Greg.

January 10, 2021 at 08:54 AM

January 10, 2021 at 08:38 AM

Are you thirty? for something different than what is on TV? I am! What to do? ***Here is what Isaiah said in Isaiah 55:1-7.......1. Come to the water (the Living Water): recieve grain and eat; without cost drink wine and milk! 2. Heed Me (God): eat well; delight in rich fare; have life; everlasting covenant renewed! 3. Seek the Lord: Who is generous in forgiving!*** I know there is one place I can get all of the above - His Word!!! ***Isaiah confirmed it in saying in Isaiah 55:8-11.......1. "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways, says the LORD. As high as the heavens are above the earth so high are My ways above your ways and My thoughts above your thoughts." (Memorize this fact!) 2. "For just as from the heavens the rain and snow come down and do not return there till they have watered the earth, making it fertile and fruitful, giving seed to the one who sows and bread to the one who eats." (Memorize this picture of rain and snow) 3. "so shall My Word be that goes forth from My mouth; My Word shall not return to Me void, but shall do My will, achieving the end for which I sent it." (Memorize the benefits of His Word)*** Yes, as Tim wrote yesterday, "What this country needs is LOVE!" The love of God that is :-) Why and how? ***1 John 5:2-3a, "In this way we know that we love the children of God when we love God and obey His commandments. For the love of God is this, that we keep His commandments."*** How do we overcome what is in the world and on TV? *** 1 John 5:4-5, "for whoever is begotten by God conquers the world. And the victory that conquers the world is our FAITH. Who indeed is the victor over the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?"*** It reminds me of this verse summarizing what I strive for in ***1 Corinthians 13:13, "And now these three remain: FAITH, HOPE and LOVE. But the greatest of these is LOVE!"*** Finally, ***1 John 4:7-12, "Dear friends, let us LOVE one another, for LOVE comes from God. Everyone who LOVES has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not LOVE does not know God, because God is LOVE. This is how God showed His LOVE among us: He sent His One and Only Son into the world that we might live through Him. This is LOVE: not that we LOVED God, but that He LOVED us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so LOVED us, we also ought to LOVE one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we LOVE one another, God lives in us and His LOVE is made complete in us!"*** AMEN!!! LOVE God and LOVE People by Danny Gokey https://youtu.be/t-29WLQ3trA

January 10, 2021 at 07:30 AM

There’s so much shouting and grandstanding these days. We could really use some quiet dignity and gentle persuasion. God help us to be gentle and dignified instead of angry and loud.

January 10, 2021 at 07:10 AM

"Not crying out, not shouting, not making his voice heard in the street." Isaiah 42:2. Lord, help me to remember that winning a soul, not winning the argument, is what we are called to do. Thank you Greg, this speaks to my heart. Amen

david