January 9, 2021
Beginnings and Endings
Beginnings and Endings
John 3:27

As John learned that Jesus had begun baptizing people, his joy came from knowing that he was part of a much bigger plan—a holy purpose. For my part, I find it difficult to let go of things I enjoy or things that have become part of my public identity.

Even though we think we are in control of our lives, nothing happens without God making room for it, and nothing begins or ends except when God says it’s time. Every gift, talent and opportunity we have received is for the greater glory of God. Further, everything that is taken from us, and all our transitions, may ultimately be for our greater good. If we trust God, we will see things come full circle. We will know our part in the greater narrative. We will experience joy in our various beginnings and in our endings.

- Vivian Amu

1 John 5:14-21 • Psalm 149:1-6, 9 John 3:22-30

Comments

January 9, 2021 at 02:33 PM

January 9, 2021 at 01:56 PM

Amen Bob. M. Always.

January 9, 2021 at 12:05 PM

Dear Jesus as I begin my day with you in prayer, please her these many prayer requests from your Living Faith Family. I am not going to list the names, as I am afraid of missing one. Please know that all of you are in my prayers daily. Today we hear the message of offering love and forgiveness to our brothers who are and have sinned against us and our God. But, as scripture tells us, first, we need to look at the beam in our own eye, then we can offer our act of love and forgiveness to others. In today’s Gospel as I mentioned briefly yesterday, Jesus is make the turn, gaining momentum in his public ministry, where he knows there is a lot that needs to be accomplished in a very short (3) years. John, the Baptist continues to show his humility to us and lets everyone know that he is the best man of bridegroom. It is his responsibility to let the bridegroom take over and for him, to be there to support the bridegroom when needed. He needs to decrease so the bridegroom can increase. Lectio Divina is really coming through for me this morning. Put yourself there, right there in the story and see for yourself, what is going on, it is so powerful. With regards to what is happening in our great country right now, given to us by our God I will only share this with you. Yesterday during our 6:30AM central time, The Rosary with “TMIY” That man is you, we had (411) men gather on the zoom call, a beautiful record. At the end of the Rosary they have a short Q&A which is really an awesome time, to listen to these men and their faith. As in today’s reading, listen vs. talking sometimes is the best, a lot to be learn there for sure. Well, because we are gathering so many men on the call it is getting attention, good attention, and the president and founder of TMIY group attended the call and shared with us a great short message about the country and our continued faith and responsibilities. He had a great message but I will share just a small part with you here, as today’s message is getting a bit longer than normal, sorry. He said that what our country needs is Love. He gave the example of a couple who are getting divorced, he said there might be a lot of bad feelings, hate, and this one did that and that one did this and there will be no peace as a result. UNTIL, one of the two, just says, enough, and begins to offer love again for that person and then and only then can the healing begin. God teaches us, reminds us how powerful love can be. Although we might have a difference in opinion and beliefs, we must shower our adversary with Love. When we become the bigger person in our own mind and extend, shower this person with Love vs. all of the other negative feelings, its pretty hard for the other person to keep slamming you with hate and mean words. Love, forgiveness, must start somewhere and we can be the one to begin with the love. Again we do not have to agree or step down, but step aside and offer the Love deep in our hearts, the other person will have a hard time escalating the situation. They might not change, but there will be a time where the fighting, head to head will stop eventually. This is our hope, our faith, heck, although this cross might be very painful, it is one that Jesus wants us to live through. Through is the key word, we can and will see the other side, it might now be in our lifetime, but when we are with our Lord in paradise will all this matter, probably not. I sincerely apologize for going on and on, but that message of Love struck me right in my heart yesterday. I love you all, know I am praying for each of you, and for the ones who have no one to pray for them. Continued prayers for the souls in Purgatory, that they may be reunited with our Heavenly Father today in his paradise. Amen.

January 9, 2021 at 04:17 PM

Thank you, Tim, for sharing your heart! I feel the out pouring of the Holy Spirit in your words :-) I have experienced what you wrote in my life as Jesus pours out His life and love for me, so His strength in me can go forth and pour out His love to whosoever He points me to. Love what you said, “Today we hear the message of offering love and forgiveness to our brothers who are and have sinned against us and our God.” It wasn’t even anything that I was capable of doing because I was sad, angry and hopeless when my husband took our two toddlers out of state, filed fir divorce and restraining order against me 20 years ago. My heart was broken. All I wanted was to get back to him for hurting me, but God!!! My life has been filled with a lot of “but God!” since I received Jesus in my life and I get to know Him personally 20 years ago :-) I agree with the president and founder of TMIY group, “What our country needs is Love!” Not just love, but God’s love! Because 1) My love is temporary, God’s love is eternal 2) My love is fickle, God’s love is unchanging 3) My love is conditional, God’s love is unconditional! ***John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His One and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life!”*** So my life is all Yours, Lord Jesus! May I decrease and You increase, so others can experience Your love: eternal, unchanging and unconditional! Amen!

Bill L
January 9, 2021 at 04:05 PM

Probably one of the more powerful statements of John, Tim....."So this joy of mine has been made complete. He must increase; I must decrease.” Prayers for the Living Faith family.

January 9, 2021 at 11:37 AM

Amen! All in God's time.

January 9, 2021 at 10:47 AM

Thank you LFF for your prayers and caring words of comfort. Just what I needed to keep focused on my day. Today’s first reading helped me realize that Dan is in The Lamb of God’s loving arms. Praying for others’ sins does make a difference. Thank you for hearing me Lord! Patrick and grandson, Michael, Ken, and all of you and your families, I hold tenderly in my heart. Prayers of healing and gratitude.

January 9, 2021 at 10:08 AM

This is puzzling to me this morning in 1 John 5:16, "If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray." I don't understand it completely, but my takeaway today is in 1 John 5:21, "Children, be on your guard against idols!" Jesus died for all sins! What is this deadly sin? The only deadly sin I can tell is the rejection of Jesus of His grace and mercy on the cross as if He didn't die for all sins! But...that's what I pray for all the time...the Salvation of others so they have eternal life? Well, Holy Spirit, You have to show me what this means in Your timing :-) Amen! 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness!" Yes, that is Good News :-)

January 9, 2021 at 09:58 AM

Good morning living faith family Patrick know that I am praying for you and your grandchild. Please pray for Michael the grandson of my friend who attends Mass with us in the morning. Living faith family please keep the souls in purgatory and for those people who have no one to pray for them . Living faith family I am upset with the way our country seems to be divided. I am going to call people who have drifted away from me just to tell them I have been thinking of them. Living faith family please keep safe Ken

Ma
January 9, 2021 at 10:34 AM

Amen Thank you. I too am saddened by the divide of our great nation.

January 9, 2021 at 10:30 AM

I feel the sadness and frustration in the last few days as you do, Ken :-( This reminds me Who knows the what is going on and Where my focus should be in Daniel 2:19-23, "During the night the mystery was revealed to Daniel in a vision. Then Daniel praised the God of heaven and said: “Praise be to the Name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are His. He changes times and seasons; He deposes kings and raises up others. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; He knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with Him. I thank and praise You, God of my ancestors: You have given me wisdom and power, You have made known to me what we asked of You, You have made known to us the dream of the king.” ***Jesus' Word in Luke 12:51-53, "Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”*** I shouldn't be surprised when we kicked Him out of our homes, our schools, our communities and our government :-( Satan is not happy about the last four years when we tried to have God back into our government, our communities, our schools and our homes. Satan knows how to divide and conquere. ***2021 is the year of Repentance!!! ***1 John 4:4, "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the One Who (Jesus) is in you is greater than the one who (satan) is in the world." Amen!

January 9, 2021 at 07:45 AM

"Further, everything that is taken from us, and all our transitions, may ultimately be for our greater good. If we trust God" Not just "may" be for our good, when we trust God, it is ALWAYS for our good

Donna
January 11, 2021 at 11:40 AM

Good point Bob - things are often not the way they appear.

Melissa
January 9, 2021 at 12:08 PM

This really hits home with a personal situation I am going through that has been, "let go" and once I did I felt some peace. I also had the thought that it needed to end and was not following Gods way even though it was family. I know he will lead me to the next open door as he always does. I need to keep praying for his will to be done. Peace to you all!

Patrick
January 9, 2021 at 08:45 AM

An excellent devotional, life is a series of cycles some are everlasting, the annual seasons, the daily cycle of dawn to dusk to darkness. Some cycles serve a purpose and then there comes a time to let them go. We may not like change, letting go or beginning something new, but I agree with you Bob when we trust God, it is ALWAYS for our good. In my case it often takes 20/20 hindsight for me to realise this