January 8, 2021
Clean
“Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean.” Then Jesus stretched out his hand, touched him, and said, “I do will it. Be made clean.”
Luke 5:12-13

The American spirit suggests that all things are possible if we work hard enough. We forget that sometimes people get a leg up by being in the right place at the right time or knowing the right person.

The leper in today’s gospel is in the right place at the right time. Though his diagnosis of leprosy is terminal, by chance he encounters Jesus and recognizes him as the right person, the Christ.

The person of Jesus, which contains God entire, desires the leper’s good health. We may be tempted to attribute this healing to the leper’s audacity in asking or to his sense of perception in recognizing Jesus. But the exchange between Jesus and the leper makes clear, it is Christ’s choice and desire to lift the leper out of his “uncleanness.” His will makes healing possible.

- Elizabeth Duffy

1 John 5:5-13 • Psalm 147:12-15, 19-20 Luke 5:12-16

Comments

January 8, 2021 at 10:38 PM

Linda,I am offering prayers for you and your cousin’s family. Prayers for all the LFF.

January 8, 2021 at 04:39 PM

My takeaways in the first reading: 1) 1 John 5:5, "Who indeed is the victor over the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God!" 2) 1 John 5:12, "Whoever possesses the Son has life; whoever does not possess the Son of God does not have life!" 3) 1 John 5:13, "that you have eternal life, you who believe in the Name of the Son of God!" *Bottom line: Believe in Jesus and have eternal life :-):-):-) ***I used to credit chance, coincidences, hard work, self-motivation, my education, my charm, etc to life's successes...not any more! Not that hard work, self-motivation or education not important, but not the deciding factors in my Book! Because God has a plan before the foundation of the world! Yes, I know...I have the same questions too: Why do bad things happen to good people and why do good things happen to bad people? Look at the Samaritan woman at the well, was she there at the right place, at the right time and meeting the right person? We know the answer to that: Jesus went out of His way (or He went the direct route) to stop by Samaritan (most Jews will bypass the town of Samaritan because they dispised the Samaritans) on His way to Galilee from Jerusalem.*** If my faith depends on being at the right place, at the right time and meeting the right person, I am totally doomed! More importantly, my Salvation does not depend on how much good works I do or don't do. My Salvation is complete ready for me to receive before I was born because Jesus died on the cross for me and anyone who believes in Him, the Son of God! My faith is grounded on One person and One person Only, the person and the Name of Jesus Christ, God the Son, Who was sent by God the Father, and tesitfied by God the Holy Spirit :-):-):-) My faith does not depend on if God answers my prayers or what good things He brings into my life! My faith is because Jesus is :-) I praise the Name of my Lord, Jesus Christ, forever and ever He reigns!

January 8, 2021 at 05:26 PM

William Graham Scroogie (1877-1958): “God’s purpose is triumphing in spite of all that seems to be wrong. God is in human history, working His will by a divine method. We know that the future is in God’s care.”

January 8, 2021 at 10:27 AM

I humbly ask for prayers for my cousin. Dan H. Unexpectedly died this morning. His life the last 35 years has been wrought with personal tragedies. His faith in God had totally dissipated after the death of his son 2 years ago. I hope that if he knew he was dying, he reached out to God. Please pray for his soul. God Bless all of you and your families.

Bill L
January 8, 2021 at 04:43 PM

My prayers will be with you and your family tonight, Linda.

January 8, 2021 at 04:42 PM

Linda, I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin, Dan! May God have mercy on him! May He bring peace and comfort to those who love him as they grieve for their loss! Amen!

January 8, 2021 at 02:22 PM

Linda B please know I will put you and Dan and his family in my prayers. I will pray right now and say the chaplet of divine mercy for you and yours and the living faith family Ken

KathyJ
January 8, 2021 at 10:39 AM

So very sad Linda. Dan, his son and your family are in my prayers

January 8, 2021 at 09:24 AM

True Faith, it is something to strive for in our own lives. The leper shows us two qualities of true faith. One humble submission to the Lord and secondly full submission to whatever Christ will do for him. He accepted in his heart, the outcome, whatever it may have been from Christ, when he humbly through faith, to ask to be healed. He believed in the Son of God. Even when we make our needs known to Jesus in prayer, through faith we see the light on the other side. Pray earnestly for healing, spiritually and with what we are facing in our trials of our own lives. Total committed faith. In today's Gospel we see Jesus making his move, gaining momentum in his ministry. It is like when one runs a longer than normal race, you are running, going through all of the effort and then as the race gets closer to the end, you kick in your after burners to the finish line. Well today is that day, moment in time, where we need to begin that push towards building our relationship with Christ in our own lives. Praying for our Living Faith Family, and for all of the ones who do not have anyone to pray for them. Please Jesus hear our prayers for all of the souls in Purgatory, that today they may be reunited with Christ in Heaven. Amen

Sandy
January 8, 2021 at 10:31 AM

Linda, I will include your cousin and your family in my prayers.

January 8, 2021 at 09:00 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

Linda B.
January 8, 2021 at 10:29 AM

Thanks Tim, eloquently said.

January 8, 2021 at 08:20 AM

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
January 8, 2021 at 06:46 AM

Thanks Elizabeth for today's devotion. Jesus who is truly god and man, not just man, understands our human struggles, especially the temptations that afflict us daily, the physical suffering that comes from illness, hunger and the violence of our enemies. Jesus knows what it means to be lonely, to be misunderstood, to be rejected and to be falsely accused of a crime one did not commit. Thanks living faith family members for your prayers for my mother. She is in a stable position. Have a blessed day.

January 8, 2021 at 08:16 AM

Sham/PeterNarine I am happy to hear you mom is doing better. I will still tuck you and her in my prayers Living faith family please pray for my two sons to find themselves in their lives. I am praying for the souls in purgatory and all those people who have no one to pray for them. Ken