January 7, 2021
St. Raymond of Penyafort
Our Ability to Love
If anyone says, “I love God,” but hates his brother, he is a liar; for whoever does not love a brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.
1 John 4:20

The spiritual writer Ronald Rolheiser talks about our need to have a God with skin, a God that we can see and touch and hear. With the Incarnation—God’s taking on our human condition—we have exactly that, a God with skin.

While the Incarnation of Jesus Christ is truly unique, something of this touchable God is present in all people, who are made in God’s image. This includes those who may test our ability to love: the family member toward whom we hold a grudge, the coworker who annoys us, the neighbor who always appears at the moment when we’re pressed for time. These and all people are reminders that we may encounter God in others every day of our lives. The challenge is in recognizing his image right before our eyes.

- Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, IHM

1 John 4:19—5:4 • Psalm 72:1-2, 14-15, 17 Luke 4:14-22a

Comments

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
January 7, 2021 at 08:27 PM

Thanks living family members for all your prayers. My mother is in a stable position . She is doing well. Much appreciated.

January 7, 2021 at 05:59 PM

"O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and act! Do not delay for Your own sake, my God, for Your city and Your people are called by Your Name!” Amen!!! (Daniel 9:19)

January 7, 2021 at 04:19 PM

Reading I 1 Jn 5:4 "And the victory that conquers the world is our faith." The gift of faith is how we must live everyday giving Jesus our burdens and trusting in him.

January 7, 2021 at 04:16 PM

Please pray for the young lady, and her family, who was shot through the heart while in service to our nation; and pray for the person who chose to shoot her. Yes, I believe our nation may have began to crumble when we chose to take prayer and God out of our schools and away from our children, when we chose to murder God's innocent life inside his/her mother's own womb, and when we decided to let someone else, not God, decide what sacramental marriage is. Do we still have Hope? Of course. Faith and Love too. How do we know this? Jesus.

January 7, 2021 at 05:48 PM

Amen, Elizebeth! 1 Chronicles 7:14, "Then if My people who are called by My Name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land!" Amen! Anne Graham Lotz Preaches at Prayer March 2020 Worship Service: Daughter of Billy Graham https://youtu.be/9LQSb3JNY5g

January 7, 2021 at 04:14 PM

Sr. Chris, thank your for your inspiring devotion. * "The Spirit of the Lord; "the breath of God" is upon us." "He has anointed us to bring glad tidings to the poor, those who are oppressed, the unjustly treated, the marginalized and forgotten, and those who we find difficult to love and deal with. What are the glad tidings? That God’s love is more powerful than the powers of this world. May the Holy Spirit and the Blessed Mother guide and help us reach out to those people and spread the "glad tidings". God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

January 7, 2021 at 11:12 AM

Stormin' Heaven this morning for our United States of America. I believe many of us attended schools that started each day with a prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, with our hand over our hearts. And this morning so many hearts are broken for our country that seems to have lost the essential elements of being one nation under God...with love of God and neighbor, practicing and living our Faith as the corner stones. Step by step we removed God from our every day lives, breaking down that foundation of love and faith. Today's reading struck me in the realization that Jesus's life was just like ours, with ups and downs. After speaking to all in the synagogue they were amazed at His words and welcomed Him. He's "up" today! But, we know that then the tide changes and He is "down". Again and again we see this until the ultimate "up" and He ascends into Heaven. I truly believe He will lead us through this "down" in our country's history, and we know that Our Blessed Mother has always interceded for our country. I may be a naive wonder, but I believe what I was told as a little girl that Our Blessed Mother would never let horrible harm come to our country. My Rosary today is for her intercession as I also pray for our Living Faith Family in their needs ~ Ken's MRI, Sham Peter's Mother, and praises ~ new life with grand and great grand babies being born without complications, and Tim's answered prayers. God BLESS Us ALL, And ALL Who We Love! God Bless America!

CC
January 7, 2021 at 11:25 AM

Blessed Mary, our Mother and patron of our country please intercede for us. Amen

January 7, 2021 at 08:44 AM

Love You, Lord Jesus!!! Your Word from the ancients (quoting Isaiah 61:1-2) comforts me today as we mourn for this country in Luke 4:17-19, "He (Jesus) stood up to read and was handed a scroll of the prophet Isaiah. He unrolled the scroll and found the passage where it was written: The Spirit (God the Holy Spirit) of the Lord is upon Me (God the Son, Jesus), because He (God the Father) has anointed Me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord." To that I say Amen and I look forward to what You have prepared us in 2021!!! A year of Repentance! Yes, 2021 will be acceptable to the Lord...not that we will do it, but God will fulfill His plan for us, this country and the world :-) ***Postings and lessons that speak to me this morning: *BSF Raleigh Young Adults TL - Lesson 13 Genesis 20-21, God uses the events of our lives to patiently expose the conflict of our old and new natures, snd to gradually deepen our faith and dependence on Him, as He sanctifies us into the likeness of Christ! *Community Bible Study Prayer Blog - Isaiah 46:9-10, "Remember the former things of old; for I AM God, and there is no other; I AM God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, “My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all My purpose!" John 17:17, "Sanctify them in the Truth; Your Word is truth!" Father, as we begin 2021, we ask that You unite our hearts to Your purposes and plans. We ask for unity, anchored in Your Word and in Christ Jesus, to permeate (fill in the blank). Enable (fill in the blank) to operate in agreement with Your will, through the power of the Holy Spirit, for Your glory alone! We trust Your faithfulness. In Your Son’s Name we pray! Amen!" *BSF Kingsport Day Women TL, "Sanctification refers to the believer's progressive growth in holiness and faith. Sanctification is divine work! Santification always follows by actions: my will or thy will? fear or faith? Lesson 13 Genesis 20-21 Outline and Principles: 1. Patient Protection, As God exposes our sin, He patiently grows our obedience (Genesis 20). 2. Patient Provision, As we learn to trust God's promises, He patiently grows our faith (Genesis 21:1-21). 3. Patient Presence, When we allow God to patiently grow us in holiness and faith, others see His presence in our lives (Genesis 21:22-34).*** ***My prayer in Psalm 72:14, "He will redeem them (us) from oppression and violence, for their (our) lives are precious to Him!" John 16:33, "I (Jesus) have told you (us) all this so that you (we) may have peace in Me (Jesus). Here on earth you (we) will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I (Jesus) have overcome the world!" Amen :-):-):-)

Salina Smith
January 7, 2021 at 11:58 AM

Famous For (I Believe) by Tauren Wells https://youtu.be/o15X2yZ1LT8

January 7, 2021 at 08:42 AM

"By Faith" we recognize Christ our Lord and Savior. "By Faith" we know that Jesus continues to give us his divine love and grace, so that we may carry out his commandments here on earth. If we do this, it will be acceptable to the Lord our God. How can we look each other in the eye, day after day, and say that we Love God, when right in our midst, we have issues with our brothers. Who is my brother some might ask. All who we come in contact in our daily lives, male and female is our bother and sister in Christ. We must begin everyday, by putting God first, and seeking out to be a better person to our brothers. Love as God loves us. Jesus in today's Gospel travels south from Galilee to Nazareth, not too far, but when you are on foot, it is far. He specifically comes to where he grew up to show them that he is the one who Isaiah mentions 700 years before his birth. Look deeply into the words of Isaiah and you will see Jesus's face. The Holy Spirit given to him by his Father was upon him. He was doing the will of his Father. He helped the poor, he gave sight to the blind and he help others who were trapped by demons within, to be set free. He was doing his Father's will. All that Jesus came to do was fulfilled the word of God and his Father was well pleased. We too, today have this chance to walk in the footsteps with Jesus, by beginning to extend Love to our neighbor. We too can turn away from our sinful ways and work hard in following his commandments. Dear Jesus, please hear our prayers for all of our Living Faith Family, Patrick, Sham Peter may Christ's light shine over you and bring healing and joy into both of your lives and the lives of our family gathered here today. Dear Jesus, please hear our prayers for the ones who do not have anyone to pray for them, please keep them safe and bless them, give them the faith in their hearts so they too may walk with you in their daily journey. Dear Jesus please hear the prayers of all the souls in Purgatory, may they be reunited with our Heavenly Father today in paradise. Amen

January 7, 2021 at 08:23 AM

January 7, 2021 at 07:58 AM

A perfect devotion for today, Sr. Chris. I pray for the grace to see the image of God in everyone. I pray for the Lord to bless and lead our country and heal the wounded. And, everyday my continued prayers for LF family. Congratulations to Patrick on his new grandson.

January 7, 2021 at 07:54 AM

Heavenly Father, look down upon Your world with mercy. Soften the hearts of those who choose to use their time and energy for hatred and destruction. Help them choose love and peace instead. May You hear the prayers of Your faithful loved ones and help those in need. Amen

January 7, 2021 at 07:39 AM

Thank you Sister for your reflection. Much needed today especially after the events of yesterday. As always God knows what we need. Prayers for us all to see every human life as a child of God and to see God in everyone. Prayers for healing.

January 7, 2021 at 07:34 AM

I cry for and pray for our country and it’s people. May God help us through this terrible time in our history.

January 7, 2021 at 07:29 AM

Prayers sent out for your mom, Peter. I pray that she will soon recover from her lung issues. And prayers for peace in our country. Violence and mob behavior is never the answer to any problem.

January 7, 2021 at 05:56 AM

Amen. Prayers for the LFF today :)

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
January 7, 2021 at 05:40 AM

Thanks Sr. Chris for today's devotion. God does not demand that we love him or even our fellowmen unless he has first loved us. This is because he is fully aware that on our own, we lack the capacity to love unconditionally and selflessly. Prayer for my mother a heart patient who was admitted in the hospital yesterday evening to drain out fluid from her lungs. Thanks . Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day.

Tillie
January 7, 2021 at 04:25 PM

Sham Peter Narine, I pray that all will be well with your mother and that God will give her the strength to pull through her procedure. God Bless you and your mother.

January 7, 2021 at 10:24 AM

Sham/PeterNarine I will pray for you and your mother. Salina and Tim well spoken love to read your words of wisdom . Patrick prays for you and your grandchild. Living faith family please pray for Michael the grandson of one of the people who attend Mass. He is in the hospital and needs our prayers. Sorry for late post but I had MRI of brain Ken

MA
January 7, 2021 at 09:27 AM

Sham, Thoughts and prayers for your mother and family. Please take care.

ANNETTE
January 7, 2021 at 08:09 AM

Prayers for your Mother.

January 7, 2021 at 04:45 AM

I was trying to come up with something to sum up the happenings of yesterday and it led me to St. Francis. 'Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy. O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood, as to understand; to be loved, as to love; for it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life. Amen.

KathyJ
January 7, 2021 at 10:42 AM

Thank you Bill! Need to keep this in our minds daily.

Kevyn Mary
January 7, 2021 at 09:12 AM

Sandy
January 7, 2021 at 07:26 AM

An excellent one, Bill! We do need that in these times.