January 5, 2021
St. John Neumann
The First Gift
…for God is love.
1 John 4:8

“…God is love”—likely one of the most quoted phrases from the Bible—packs a profound truth. The Catechism of the Catholic Church, in paragraph 733, explains: “‘God is Love’ and love is his first gift, containing all others.”God loves you. God loves me. If we miss out on knowing this, we will miss much more besides. God’s love for us is personal—the first gift he wishes us to accept from him.

Christmas offers us a season to reflect on this singular gift that sparks the abundance of all God’s gifts. God’s unfathomable love gives us Jesus, the Child of Bethlehem, born to save us. Love also sends the Spirit—and the Church—through which we have the Bible and sacraments and all the graces that flow to us through them. All are given by God so we might know this simple truth: God loves us.

- Pat Gohn

1 John 4:7-10 • Psalm 72:1-4, 7-8 Mark 6:34-44

Comments

January 5, 2021 at 05:09 PM

Thanks for the update, Tim. Good to hear the procedure went well. Continued prayers to you for strength in body and mind.

Bill L
January 5, 2021 at 05:16 PM

Great devotion, Pat. Whenever I read this scripture passage it brings me back to my daughter and son-in-law's wedding. She asked me to read it at their mass. I was honored to do it.

January 5, 2021 at 12:24 PM

Yeah Tim! Answered Prayers for sure! And such God Blessed news of not needing any stents! There's a euphoria in receiving this news at the very start of the New Year! We all feel it for you and US! God Bless US and All Who We Love!

david
January 5, 2021 at 03:49 PM

Thank you God the Father, and the Son and the Holy spirit for making this day a good day and for permitting Tim to continue spreading your word.

January 5, 2021 at 10:47 AM

Amen. God is Love -- a wonderful reminder to realize that every day.

January 5, 2021 at 08:56 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

January 5, 2021 at 08:46 AM

Good morning all. God is Love and who better than us to share this love with one another. Spreading a little love to one another as God would like to see from all of us, would produce much happinesses, joy in the world that could really use some right now. Following Jesus ways is the way to eternal life. Prayers for our Living Faith Family, for all of those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory that they may be reunited with God in paradise. Thank you for all of your prayers yesterday, they worked! Although I had several blocked arteries, none were bad enough to require stints. Doctors said that the risk benefits of putting stints was not there vs. trying to treat blockage with medicines. Interesting procedure for sure, much different than what I had remembered 15 years ago. Still very wiped out from yesterday, as they push and push my procedure back because of an emergency with another patient. Thank you al so much again for your prayers, they are forever in my heart. Amen

ANNETTE
January 6, 2021 at 07:46 AM

Tim, so happy that everything went well with you and your procedure. God is good. Take care and take time to heal. God bless you.

Tilie
January 5, 2021 at 08:20 PM

Tim, I'm happy to hear the good news. I'll continue to pray that you'll have a speedy recovery from the procedure. God Bless you.

January 5, 2021 at 04:43 PM

Tim, Watch "Forks over Knives" movie with Terri when you have 90 minutes. It may help you and many of us see food differently! It will definitely give us a different perspectives for sure. It has made a difference for Matt and I since his ischemic stroke. YOU WILL NEVER KNOW HE EVER HAD IT. HE IS MORE HEALTHY TODAY THAN FOR A LONG TIME. You can rent the movie at Amazon Prime Video for 2.99 or watch the Spanish subtitled on You Tube for free: https://youtu.be/ICDRYEpNYtI

January 5, 2021 at 02:10 PM

Sandy
January 5, 2021 at 11:28 AM

Good news, Tim. A great way to start the new year is with some good news!

Bonnie L
January 5, 2021 at 10:21 AM

God is Great! Wonderful news Tim thar your procedures went well. May your recovery be fast and swift!

January 5, 2021 at 09:53 AM

Great news Tim. I will still keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Living faith family please pray for the souls in purgatory and for those who have no one to pray for them. My oldest son Brian was told he's pre diabetic and has to take medication. Please pray that we can treat this condition. Ken

Gayle
January 5, 2021 at 09:05 AM

Good news, Tim. Now may your heart(and arteries)be filled with God's good news and not with blockages! Healthy New Year!

Melissa
January 5, 2021 at 08:54 AM

Thank you Tim for letting us know and so very thankful to God that all went well. Now you can focus on healing. Gods blessing of healing wash over you.

January 5, 2021 at 08:30 AM

Holly
January 5, 2021 at 10:45 AM

Very happy to hear your good news! Continued prayers for you.

January 5, 2021 at 08:08 AM

Amen. One of my favorite bible verses “do everything in love”. What a wonderful gift God has given this world indeed. Prayers for Tim and the LF community.