January 4, 2021
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
Little Children
You belong to God, children…
1 John 4:4

St. John was the last surviving apostle of the original Twelve. It is commonly thought he lived for 100 years. At the time of his advanced age, many people would ask him to share his insights and memories of Jesus. What was it like to walk with Jesus on this earth for three years? What about his miracles, the meanings of his parables and other deep truths?

John would only reply with five words to summarize the gospel message: “Little children, love one another!”

Today, let us pause, close our eyes and picture this man who sat beside Jesus at the Last Supper, was at Calvary and then witnessed the empty tomb. Hear him speaking those same five words to us. Remember how we once were as children—loving, trusting, kind and innocent. “Love one another” is the teaching of Jesus for children of all ages.

- Fr. James McKarns

1 John 3:22—4:6 • Psalm 2:7-8, 10-12 Matthew 4:12-17, 23-25

Comments

January 4, 2021 at 08:10 PM

Prayers for Tim and all.

January 4, 2021 at 04:35 PM

Thank you for this devotion today, Fr. James. These little bits of information that we pick up from you and the rest of the writers is so inspiring. I did not know this of St. John. Blessings to the Living Faith family.

January 4, 2021 at 01:44 PM

Thank you Fr. James for your wonderful devotion. * “Little children, love one another!” May we forgive and love one another as Jesus has taught and commanded us to do. May the Love of God spread to all our Living Faith Family. God Bless everyone and continued prayers for all.

January 4, 2021 at 01:41 PM

Prayers for Tim’s heart procedure. May God guide the surgeons hands as well as a swift recovery. Amen ????

January 4, 2021 at 12:05 PM

Amen! Beautiful message.

January 4, 2021 at 11:28 AM

"Love your enemies" the most difficult thing a Christian must do

Debbie Lucia Barrett Respond to comment
January 4, 2021 at 11:15 AM

praying for you Tim ????

January 4, 2021 at 11:04 AM

Lord, Angels and Saints, watch over Tim during his procedure. Amen

January 4, 2021 at 10:48 AM

Tim, I ask God to guide the hands of the medical professionals during your procedure and during your healing time. Spirit of God, open the hearts of those caring for others so their patients and loved ones know God is with them. I ask this Heavenly Father in Your name and the Name of your Beloved Son Jesus. Amen!

January 4, 2021 at 10:34 AM

Tim! You are covered in prayers! As are all who will care for you today. Praying that you feel His Peace, and the love & well wishes of your Living Faith Family. God Bless Ya REAL Good! (a Texas well wish!)

January 4, 2021 at 09:50 AM

Yes, what is this commandment John is talking about? There are two parts to this commendment in 1 John 3:23, "(First) we should believe in the Name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and (Second) love one another just as He commanded us." It reminds me of this song, Love God and Love People by Danny Gokey, https://youtu.be/t-29WLQ3trA There is one more thing that I learned: there are plenty of people in this world that love people but they don't love God :-( Don't get confused with loving people as loving God! I love God now and the outpouring of His love in me is what goes out of me to others expecting nothing in return (Agape love). I used to love others becuase I wanted the love in return So when they rejected and ignored me, I got upset and mad because it was selfish love (Philia love). ***Three times Jesus asked Peter if he Loves Him...the first two times, Jesus asked if Peter "Agape loves" and each time Peter answered "Philia loves." And finally Jesus asked if Peter "Philia loves."*** ***John continued to warn us in 1 John 4:1, "Beloved, do not trust every spirit but test the spirits to see whether they belong to God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." Just because someone loves others do not make them a Christian! Just because I do good things/works for others, it does not automatically make me a good Christian. It is all about Who I know and love...God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit!*** ***So how do I know? John tells us in 1 John 4:2-3a, "This is how you can know the Spirit of God: every spirit that acknowledges Jesus Christ come in the flesh belongs to God, and every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus does not belong to God."*** ***Do I acknowledge Jesus in everyday and in everyday?*** It is the love of God that allows me to love unconditionally even those unlovable, even when it doesn't feel good or hurts :-):-):-) Amen!

January 4, 2021 at 08:47 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

January 4, 2021 at 08:47 AM

Good morning to all, well I have put our God First this morning before I head off to have me heart procedure. Thank you for all of your prayers, I know God is in control, letting go letting God. Today we must be like a child and love like a child, become to be more like Christ. St. John was always called the disciple of love. He more than the other 3 Gospel writers, speak of great Love. Jesus has this great love for each of us and the love we should have for one another. This is one of the most important commandments Jesus gives to each of us, is for us to love one another. Think of it for a while, if everyone put love for one another first, before all things in their life today, this world would be a much different world. Let us do our small but important part today and show a little bit more compassion, forgiveness, joy and LOVE to one another. I am sure this will make Jesus and his Father very happy. Prayers for all of our Living Faith Family, prayers for those who do not have anyone and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they may be reunited with our Heavenly Father today in paradise. Amen

K6
January 4, 2021 at 10:03 PM

Tim I never post more than once per day but today is an exception. Tonight before I go to bed I will pray for you and yours. Living faith family your support incredible. Please pray those who have no one to pray them. Ken

Bill L
January 4, 2021 at 04:30 PM

Tonight's rosary will be with you again, Tim.

Patrick
January 4, 2021 at 03:04 PM

God is in charge Tim. All will be well

January 4, 2021 at 02:49 PM

Tim I just said the scriptural rosary joyful mystery. With each decade I thought of you. Let go let God Living faith family you guys are also in my prayers this afternoon Ken

Joe B
January 4, 2021 at 01:13 PM

Praying for you, Tim.

Tillie
January 4, 2021 at 01:11 PM

Tim, I am praying for you. With the faith as strong as yours, God will provide you with a smooth, successful surgery and a remarkably speedy recovery. God Bless you and may He provide you with strength and resilience.

Louis
January 4, 2021 at 12:49 PM

Praying for you, Tim.

Holly
January 4, 2021 at 12:07 PM

Prayers for all to go well today! God bless.

Melisss
January 4, 2021 at 11:42 AM

Praying for you Tim! Was wonderful to meet you on the LF zoom meeting.

CC
January 4, 2021 at 11:12 AM

Praying for you Tim

KathyJ
January 4, 2021 at 10:14 AM

Prayers for Tim’s speedy recovery and good health

Faith
January 4, 2021 at 10:11 AM

Praying that all will be well for you, Tim

January 4, 2021 at 09:20 AM

Praying for you, Tim, and all who are involved with your procedure today. That God's healing hands and guiding wisdom be with them as they conduct with the medical procedure to open up everything obstructive and install preventive device to provide a healthy life as you serve Him and His people. In the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Amen :-)

Paul
January 4, 2021 at 09:10 AM

Prayers for a successful procedure today Tim.

annie
January 4, 2021 at 09:05 AM

Praying for Tim and for our Living Faith Family this morning.

Martha R. Boykins Respond to comment
January 4, 2021 at 08:44 AM

Dr. God got this Tim. Believe and have faith. Praying for your healing. Peace, Love and Many, Many, Blessings.

January 4, 2021 at 08:34 AM

Praying for Tim for a successful and uneventful surgery, and for his surgeons that they may be guided by God.

January 4, 2021 at 08:32 AM

January 4, 2021 at 07:51 AM

The commandment to love one another is an easy one when dealing with those who are loving, kind, trusting and innocent.....it's those who aren't that makes this one of the hardest commandments to obey. With the grace from above is how we may follow this command. My prayers for Tim and all Living Faith community.

Kevyn Mary
January 4, 2021 at 09:04 AM

Amen!!

January 4, 2021 at 08:16 AM

Praying for Tim this morning . Praying for the living faith family. Ken

January 4, 2021 at 06:57 AM

praying for Tim

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
January 4, 2021 at 06:02 AM

Thanks Fr. James for today's devotion. Prayer for Tim surgery today. Lord our God, we thank you for the help you have given us over and over again so that we can stand before you, rejoicing in the certainty of faith. Prayer for all the living faith family members Have a blessed day everyone.

david
January 4, 2021 at 10:02 PM

May God bless you Tim and your family. May God the Father and Jesus give Tim health, so that Tim may continue teaching us your word.

B.T.
January 4, 2021 at 06:55 AM

Tim will be in my prayers. God Bless the Living Faith Family.

Lia